How to tell if she is close

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure when Flower got pregnant so i am not sure how far along she is or if there really is any way of telling,what is the last sign that i would notice,Like right now she is really large,has no fur around her nipples and she loves laying on her back and me softly petting her tummy.Are these any signs it could be close?I go for surgery in 14 days and i was hoping it would happen either before or after i get home.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just before Salem delivered, she got really loving and wouldn't leave my side. She also started looking around for a place to have the babies, so I brought her into the room I set up for her to have them, and stayed with her till she had delivered them all.

It sounds as if your momma kitty is on her way, if she's getting all friendly. Good luck!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her tummy should get really hard when she's just about to have them. If you haven't already you need to get her into a quiet room with a box or bed so she can have the kittens away from the other cats and in peace. Like a human, she'll have contractions and will generally have the first kitten within 30 minutes of contractions. A good sign she's going to have the kittens within the next week is if her "milk has come in" - you should be able to feel her milk bags. Within 48 hours you can normally see her back twitching and she will probably be quite uncomfortable as the kittens align themselves inside.

Also if you haven't already let your vet know she's having babies [he probably already knows because of her ears], incase you need a c-section at an ungodly hour, if he/she isn't an emergency vet - keep a number of one close by.

Good luck Flower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i think i am fully prepared for any situation with her,i already have an area for her but i want to wait for more sure signs that this will be happening soon.

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow i am going to start Flower on kitten food(it was the soonest i could get to buy some) is there any harm starting her earlier i know it usually is about 2 weeks before birth,but just in case it is more.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you mean is there any harm in feeding her kitten food before 2 weeks before the birth? [What a confusing Q] - if that was the case then no, it is never too early

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry about the confusing question it was worded wrong...More or less i found out the answer anyway.

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really think flower is close(maybe next week at the most)She is beyond affectionate,loves showing off her belly too me I am just so confused by her..The last pregnant cat i had in my home had sure signs but she seems all over with them,grrr i hope it is before the 17th(as i go into the hospital for back surgery).

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if her milk has come in,would her nipples look different?

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Flower is officially being annoying she follows me everywhere sleeps right beside me in bed(which normally i have no problems with)but she is head bunting me constantly,no signs of milk yet though

I am not sleeping well because i do not want to miss it if she gives birth.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an alarm you can set for every 2 hours? This is what I do when one of my girls is due to have babies and then I sleep in between

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol no iam not setting the alarm every 2 hours,I am night shift worker so i am used to being awake all hours of the night.

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is officially 4:45am and i am awake...i really thought it was going to happen through out the night but so far nothing.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, she looks huge! I am going to guess she's going to have a large litter. I had a litter of 8 kittens this summer and my cat was monstrous! I hope you have a safe delivery with her. I love babies and can't wait for my next batch of Devons, but my Bonnie isn't pregnant and not in heat so we're good for a while LOL.

Is this her first litter?