Have any of your cats taken over anything?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean as in usurped. Taken possesion of something in the house.

I have. Alley has been a fraidy cat ever since we got her from the rescue center, sticking to the bed in the spare bedroom, the walk in closet, or underneath the living room couch.

There is only one thing in this house that I have considered truly mine, that being a massage chair in the master bedroom. I had always referred to it as "my chair". No longer. Alley has decided to take possesion of my chair and you can now find her any time of day in that chair.

I like to use that chair before going to bed and upon rising in the morning. At both times I will now find Alley in the chair. When I try to shoo her off, she remains there until I finally push her off. She looks at me very indignantly for taking over "her chair" whenever I am forced to do that.

I never call it my chair any more.

Has anybody else here experienced such behavior?

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. We have two chairs at the computer desk, one for me and one for my better half.

Mimosa likes to use these chairs, and as most true cat-owners know spots where a cat likes to recline might mysteriously sprout a pillow or blanket
The chair with Mimosa's pillow on it is generally referred to as the Princess chair and we only dare sit there when she is not around (which is almost never).
She is one of those cats who manages to give you the feeling you've been reprimanded for behaving badly, so apologizing when she finds one of us sitting on her chair and special pillow comes naturally.

And do you think we get to use our Fatboy bag much ourselves ? (No honey, sit on the couch or you'll bother Ernesto)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've taken over the side of the couch where I used to sit. It's really "Swanieville," but Cindy will sit there too, or join Swanie if he's there. I can still sit there, as long as I consent to be a lap.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, Kit has her own couch! We can't really say we liked the couch and my husband thought about taking it to the room where his band practices. I even tried to sell it in a yard sell once but no one wanted it. Just Kit. It's hers forever now, though once she's no longer with us (knowing her that won't be for another 30 years) it's going to the dump or the first college kid I can find!

mom4two

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes besides my heart. My older cat Ebony has a stuffed bear that he drags around the house with him. This bear is about the same size as he is but he loves the thing. We call it his "boo boo bear" . It is a silly bear that I won at a carnival but he loves it. I have washed it many times and he has had it for years and it is still going strong.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Prince Elijah Blue-eyes has claimed my office chair as his throne. He curls up against the back on his green blankie and leaves me the front edge to sit on.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a bed and a chair. Topaz has been known to give the evil glare to anyone in her chair or her bed.

Here she is trying the glare on Arisototle but he isn't looking.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley has taken over the beanbag chair
He won't lay directly on it, but if there is a jacket laying across it, a paper, anything, then he sleeps there for his evening nap. Lately, I've been keeping a cardboard canned food flat box on it for him since he likes to curl up in that. There is one in this pic, although you can't see it under him.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arwen takes over my bed most of the time, she sees that as her safety spot and she also likes to hog it even when Meowmy is in it!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the one thing I consider "mine" is the computer chair, which was bought special just for me b/c of my back. Which is why I have to shut the door to the computer room when it's not in use; otherwise, it wouldn't be my chair any longer.

And, of course, I keep the door shut so little paws don't mess with the computer and all the cords attached to it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Does it count if they take over everything?
I was going to ask the same question. Mine have taken over the entire house. They let me share it with them when they are feeling generous.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max's new kitty bed is my full sized guest bed in my spare bedroom. He lolls about on it and even pulls down the covers when he feels like it.

Since I got the bed a month or so ago, he now no longer comes and cuddles with me on my bed. I have to go to him on his.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has a certain spot he sits in on our futon/couch. Everytime he gets up, Rusty jumps and curls up to sleep in that exact spot. She gets upset when he makes her move.

Both girls love to sleep on our beds. Sometimes I can hardly get in because they are stretched out and refuses to move!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Does it count if they take over everything?
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I was going to ask the same question. Mine have taken over the entire house. They let me share it with them when they are feeling generous.
On both counts!

The thing that has really been taken over, though, is the recliner that was supposed to be my husband's. Trent first decided it's "the boy" chair, only he and Daddy could sit in it. Now it's just Trent's and he gets really ornery if Earl decides he needs to sit there. Trent will usually move but just this week, he refused...it was like a 2 year old playing dead so they don't have to go to bed!
It was hilarious!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

The thing that has really been taken over, though, is the recliner that was supposed to be my husband's. Trent first decided it's "the boy" chair, only he and Daddy could sit in it. Now it's just Trent's and he gets really ornery if Earl decides he needs to sit there. Trent will usually move but just this week, he refused...it was like a 2 year old playing dead so they don't have to go to bed!
It was hilarious!
But here's the real question: did he gain about 50 pounds at the moment he refused to move? Mine seem to get really heavy when I'm trying to move them off of something that I want to sit on.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a recliner from my parents about a month ago. At first both Pandora and Thor wanted to sleep on it, but now they've discovered a compromise. Pandora is the smallest, so she gets the top ridge of the chair, and Thor is the...umm.. widest.. so he gets the bottom part. Sometimes they snuggle up together and that's a Kodak moment.
There's a photo of them in the Kitty Photos section cuddlin' up on that chair. Too cute

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Harriet took over this really nice, like $50 tempurpedic pillow and claimed it as hers. Then she peed on it, and after that, it was ALL hers!