Carpet Cleaning

sassyfull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 1 DSH, 1 DMH, 1 DLH. My carpets "looks" clean, but I'm sure they are full of cat hair. I need your opinions. Should I continue to get the carpets professionally cleaned or should I buy a carpet cleaner? What brand cleaner? Thank you

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of warning. If you can't get most of that hair up it can ruin a carpet shampooer. They're more for removing dirt and stains than fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassyfull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Strange Wings. Do you suggest that I stick with truck-mounted cleaning or a rental?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to vacuum very thoroughly before shampooing.

carolinalima is right that a strong vacuum cleaner it better for fur. After that you can shampoo with whatever you want. Use google to look up reviews for whatever models you're interested in.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A rubber broom is good for getting the hair out of carpet before vacuuming, like this

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassyfull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I brush their hair with something like this.rubber bristles. Where did you buy it? You are all so helpful. It is true, a shampooer involves water and that will probably make things worse. I will continue to vacuum daily. As I said, the carpets "look" clean, no stains or odors. Cheers, Evelyn

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sassyfull

:As I said, the carpets "look" clean, no stains or odors.
You may be surprised! Before my husband and I moved in we shampooed all the carpets. They didn't look that bad but all of the floors needed to be gone over several times before the water came back clear. In one of the rooms it looked nearly black! The home didn't smell like it had smokers living here, but who knows how long it had been since the carpets were cleaned.

That rubber broom/brush looks like something out of a car cleaning supply aisle... I wonder if I should get one? I shed worse than the cats and have to sweep over the floors to gather up my shed hair before I can vacuum.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You may be surprised! Before my husband and I moved in we shampooed all the carpets. They didn't look that bad but all of the floors needed to be gone over several times before the water came back clear. In one of the rooms it looked nearly black! The home didn't smell like it had smokers living here, but who knows how long it had been since the carpets were cleaned.

That rubber broom/brush looks like something out of a car cleaning supply aisle... I wonder if I should get one? I shed worse than the cats and have to sweep over the floors to gather up my shed hair before I can vacuum.
I also shed more than the cats... I do have one of those brushes, and they are great for taking the hair off the carpet. As a broom it does a great job too, as it grabs everything, and hold nothing in it!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A good vacuum cleaner is more effective than a carpet shampooer for hair. I own a Hoover shampooer, but I never use it unless I do a thorough vacuum first. The shampooer will just turn any fur that is in the carpet into fur clumps and will clog up the machine.

If you decide to buy one, get a prescription to Consumer Reports and see what they say. I researched them when I bought ours and noticed that the top rated brands changed year to year.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sassyfull

I have 1 DSH, 1 DMH, 1 DLH. My carpets "looks" clean, but I'm sure they are full of cat hair. I need your opinions. Should I continue to get the carpets professionally cleaned or should I buy a carpet cleaner? What brand cleaner? Thank you
Imo.. Stick with the pros..Their machine sucks it all out... No need to vacum before they come...

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree a good vacuum. We just got a new one and you would not believe the amount of cat hair I pull out of my carpet and furniture each time I do it. In order to keep up with the hair I have to vacuum atleast 3 times a week. If I don't the amount of hair I pick up off the couch on to my clothes is insane I look like I am wear fur pants sometimes. I do have 5 cats though.

Also another thing to do is make sure you brush your cats daily. Again you wouldn't believe how much loose hair you will pull off and any hair you can pull off with the brush is less that will go on your furniture and floors.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cleaning the carpet won't get the cat hair out, you need a cyclone hoover. I have a dyson animal complete with turbo brush and it's amazing. Even a normal dyson will work provided you get the turbo brush tool and use that. It's amazing how much fur and other stuff that thing sucks up!