Merry Christmas to me!!!!!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

With all of the bad weather we had last week there was delay in some packages
being delivered to me. Yesterday I had four of them waiting for me outside my door: the guitar I ordered, the case for the aforementioned guitar, some shirts and a few hundred rounds of .30-06 M2 ball ammo.

I'm having a hard time playing a lot of the basic chords on my guitar. I don't know if it's the slimness of the neck or it's just my fat finger syndrome. I haven't picked one up in 15 years or so but I didn't expect to have that must trouble. I guess I need to retrain my fingers. I did nail out the opening riff of Smoke on the Water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy. Next on the list: 250 rounds of .30-06 courtesy of the CMP.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Thanks.

I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy. Next on the list: 250 rounds of .30-06 courtesy of the CMP.
Hey, you stole MY excuse for shopping, darn you!!!

Ladies, how many of you remember when President Bush, right after 9/11, I believe, said the best thing to do was to shop to stimulate the economy due to 9/11? And how many of you felt that tingle in your spine, as you grabbed your car keys...

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Hey, you stole MY excuse for shopping, darn you!!!
There more than enough to go around, I'll share the excuse with you.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

With all of the bad weather we had last week there was delay in some packages
being delivered to me. Yesterday I had four of them waiting for me outside my door: the guitar I ordered, the case for the aforementioned guitar, some shirts and a few hundred rounds of .30-06 M2 ball ammo.

I'm having a hard time playing a lot of the basic chords on my guitar. I don't know if it's the slimness of the neck or it's just my fat finger syndrome. I haven't picked one up in 15 years or so but I didn't expect to have that must trouble. I guess I need to retrain my fingers. I did nail out the opening riff of Smoke on the Water.
Good for you!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The RG has a fairly wide neck, but thin. It works well for me. But an hour a day of practice makes a world of difference. Too bad I don't do that any more!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The RG has a fairly wide neck, but thin. It works well for me. But an hour a day of practice makes a world of difference. Too bad I don't do that any more!
I'm starting to get used to it. I had my first lesson today and it's starting to get easier making the cords but they aren't perfect yet. I have a couple of finger exercises that I do and a scale in E minor to practice. The teacher liked the neck on the guitar.

He asked me what I wanted to do as far learning. I don't want to get to heavily involved with learning songs right now, I want to get some of the fundamentals down first. The game plan is to add some more exercises next week and perhaps introduce a few riffs. This week we did the intro to "Smoke on the Water" and "Sunshine of Your Love". Slow and steady is the plan for now.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

What kind of guitar did you get?
An Ibanez electric.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-R...39-i1386473.gc
The black-and-white digital camo.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice!!

At our old house I was always so jealous of our neighbor across the street. She got packages EVERY day...seriously. I even knew the UPS guy's name. LOL I absolutely LOVE getting packages in the mail.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm starting to get used to it. I had my first lesson today and it's starting to get easier making the cords but they aren't perfect yet. I have a couple of finger exercises that I do and a scale in E minor to practice. The teacher liked the neck on the guitar.

He asked me what I wanted to do as far learning. I don't want to get to heavily involved with learning songs right now, I want to get some of the fundamentals down first. The game plan is to add some more exercises next week and perhaps introduce a few riffs. This week we did the intro to "Smoke on the Water" and "Sunshine of Your Love". Slow and steady is the plan for now.
Nice guitar!

DH took up the guitar about 6 years ago and has been thru 2 instructors. The first one was young and only taught riffs. DH dropped him because he learned nothing about theory or any basic guitar. The next instructor was more classically based, and he learned a lot more from him. Don't be afraid to find a new teacher if they aren't leading you down the path you want.

Guitar Center is great. I have a friend who plays guitar and claims to get GAS: gear acquisition syndrome. That means more packages delivered to your door!

Repeat after me: G G G G G G G

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Nice guitar!

DH took up the guitar about 6 years ago and has been thru 2 instructors. The first one was young and only taught riffs. DH dropped him because he learned nothing about theory or any basic guitar. The next instructor was more classically based, and he learned a lot more from him. Don't be afraid to find a new teacher if they aren't leading you down the path you want.

Guitar Center is great. I have a friend who plays guitar and claims to get GAS: gear acquisition syndrome. That means more packages delivered to your door!

Repeat after me: G G G G G G G
The first teacher I had many moons ago was very good. I wish I knew how to get a hold of him. I'm a few years older than the "kid" teaching me now but we're on the same page. We're going to concentrate on the fundamentals and throw in some classic rock riffs to change things up. He's leaving it up to me when I want to start learning entire songs. I'd like to get some of the scales down, as well as the major and minor chords. I remember some of the bar chords. He doesn't know how to read music too well, that much he told me. He plays by ear and writes in tab.

Is GAS anything like MTS in the aquarium hobby?

I do fairly well so far with playing the E minor scale "forwards", playing it backwards I'm a little slower. The important thing is to get it right, speed will come with repetition and time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Is GAS anything like MTS in the aquarium hobby?
Got it.

Ten guitars, and two more under construction.