Kitten Heath Questions

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a kitten in my bathroom. Long story about how he came to be there.

He has been diagnosed with URI (poor little guy). Has antibiotics for that. Vet did not want to do vaccines until that clears up a bit. He also has fleas and is pretty dirty. Dosed for worms. Has not been tested for FeLV yet.

He is supposed to be about 10 weeks old. Not sure if that is true. He weighs 1.5 pounds.

He is eating California Natural dry food so far. Seems to like it. I wet it down a bit.

Questions:

When can he be exposed to other cats? Sebastian cannot be around anything contagious.

How long does it usually take antibiotics to kick in?

He has not used litter at all. Got here at 9pm last night. Will he be ok?

He really needs a bath. Should I bathe him? If so, what kind of shampoo? I have nothing here for cats.

He is all by himself in a tiny bathroom. He is in the carrier with blankies. When Daphne went thru the isolation period, she got to come out a bit and had a large bathroom to hang out in.

How do I disinfect the carrier so it can be used for Sebastian tomorrow?

What can I do to best help the kitten?

Help. I am feeling more than a bit overwhelmed. Wasn't quite ready for this. Feel like I'm forgetting something.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have answers to your questions, but my, isn't he just the sweetest thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is! He's a cuddlebug. I am trying to not get attached, though. That little face and the tiny little "meow" - they're gonna do me in.

I have been trying to change shirts and wash my hands after I'm with him so I don't contaminate anything. I wonder if I'm being too careful?

Edit: The title should read "Kitten Health Questions" not "heath"
Maybe that was meant to be his name?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my dear!! I'd already be in love with the little guy! Resistance is futile....

You want to keep him in isolation until there's no nasal discharge, sneezing, fleas, worms, ear mites, diarrhea, or runny eyes. It might be best to wait at least a week to make sure the antibiotics have taken effect.

To clean him up, I'd get a flea comb (since he has fleas), dip it in water and just comb him for now. Once he's feeling better, you can wipe him down with a warm wash cloth. They also sell kitty wipes that you could use.

Since he's so tiny, you might want to put a little heater in there with him (out of his reach of course), or make some rice socks, warm them in the microwave, wrap in a hand towel and let him snuggle up with those.

You're not being too careful, but don't forget shoes and pants, too. To disinfect your carrier, use warm water and bleach.

It's not uncommon for kitties in new situations to go for 24 hrs or more without using the litter box. Just make sure the box is shallow enough for him to be able to get into. An aluminum pie plate or 9" X 13" cake pan work great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He went poop
and I've seen him pee twice. He is NOT litter box trained. I put him in the box and he runs out of it. When he can be with the others, I'm sure he'll get the hang of it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You could try Kitten Attract litter to get him started. Also, if he poops outside the box, scoop it up, put it in the litter box, and cover it with litter the way you want him to do. He's more likely to use the litter if it smells right to him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

He went poop
and I've seen him pee twice. He is NOT litter box trained. I put him in the box and he runs out of it. When he can be with the others, I'm sure he'll get the hang of it.
i think Heath is a cutie! you might get some of the KittenAttract - it helped a great deal w/Firefox [feral kitten]. she would poop in the box, but not pee - until i got the KittenAttract!

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of domesticating a feral (also my harrowing tale of URI from a newcomer: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186495).

I am having some luck litterbox training my feral by finding where he pees, then covering that with sand. He pees there again and I recover with sand again. After several days he is used to hitting that spot and I put a dummy cardboard barrier around it (as high as a box lid would be) and he still uses that spot. Tonight, I cleaned up all the sand and put a box in its place with sand inside. Bingo! Now I will start adding clay litter along with the sand.

How about flea powder instead of a shampoo until he can see the vet?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
actually, most OTC flea products are not good for the cats - plus they're not that effective.
i'd use something like Dawn - really, any mild liquid soap would work. it breaks the surface tension of the water so that the fleas drown.
my feral group likes Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could name him Heath... after the actor Heath Ledger. That would be cool!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you used Dr. Bronner's soap (which I use in my garden!!), he'd smell pretty!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dan32

...I am having some luck litterbox training my feral by finding where he pees, then covering that with sand. He pees there again and I recover with sand again. After several days he is used to hitting that spot and I put a dummy cardboard barrier around it (as high as a box lid would be) and he still uses that spot. Tonight, I cleaned up all the sand and put a box in its place with sand inside. Bingo! Now I will start adding clay litter along with the sand.
That is totally awesome! Soooo many people would just give up on the little guy, when all it takes is time.

You rock, Dan32!

Bonnie1965, that is one utterly adorable kitten. I agree with you that he looks younger than 10 weeks, but maybe he's just had a really hard time? Stephanietx gave you some great info for him, so I second her advice.

Good luck and, more pics, please!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything to add to the great advice you've already been given, but I wanted to say that that is one adorable kitten...

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Best of luck!!!!

*note - dan, your patience is amazing. we need more owners like you. hats off to thinking outside the box!