I Received My Disability Decision..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I'm afraid to open it to see what it says.

I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but I don't think I can deal with it very well if it's denied again. I used to be able to handle rejections and stress pretty well, but after going through several years of hell with the abusive ex b/f and all that he put me through (including kicking me out into the streets twice with nowhere to go and facing the horrors of being homeless - amongst other things) I just don't have the ability to handle stress like I used to.
I'm a mess right now: my heart is racing, my hands are shaking, and I'm getting a headache. I want to find out what the decision is, but I'm just petrified of what the outcome will be.

To make matters worse, our landlady came over this morning and told me that if we can't come up with the money to buy our place like we've been planning on doing, she's gonna sell the place to someone else. Which means we're probably gonna have to find another place, b/c I don't know how on earth we can come up with the money. And try to find a place that lets you have ten cats. That's next to impossible. My babies are the only things that keep me going most of the time: I'd be lost w/o them.

I'm a nervous wreck right now.
I feel like crying.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We're hear to support you anyway we can

I completely understand where you are with the disability decision. I am in a similiar boat. Both my injuries have been declared permanent, as in will never get better, and I was being retrained for a different field of work. I had to quit schooling because it made me worse, and I ended up missing alot because I couldn't drive.

I've been out of school since Nov. and my reassessment appt. is on Wed. I'm freaking out because I've been home for 3mos, doing nothing and of course I've gotten a bit better. So my appt. on Wed. will not reflect how I am when I actually do something, or when I'm having a bad day and can't move my hands/elbows. The WSIB (workers comp) could easily say I'm ok, when the only reason I am is that I haven't been doing anything for the last 3mos.

So yah, I'm terrified. I'm happy for the appt, cuz my dr. is a moron, but scared as well.

I am so sorry you are going thru all of this.

Many for the decision you want from disability.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww you have had a really rough time. I know how hard it is finding a place that will accept pets.

I'll send you some vibes that the news, is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

We're hear to support you anyway we can

I completely understand where you are with the disability decision. I am in a similiar boat. Both my injuries have been declared permanent, as in will never get better, and I was being retrained for a different field of work. I had to quit schooling because it made me worse, and I ended up missing alot because I couldn't drive.

I've been out of school since Nov. and my reassessment appt. is on Wed. I'm freaking out because I've been home for 3mos, doing nothing and of course I've gotten a bit better. So my appt. on Wed. will not reflect how I am when I actually do something, or when I'm having a bad day and can't move my hands/elbows. The WSIB (workers comp) could easily say I'm ok, when the only reason I am is that I haven't been doing anything for the last 3mos.

So yah, I'm terrified. I'm happy for the appt, cuz my dr. is a moron, but scared as well.

I am so sorry you are going thru all of this.

Many for the decision you want from disability.
Thanks so much, Snake Lady. I appreciate the support.

I can sooooo relate to what you're going through.
What part of "permanent" is it that they don't understand?
I've been a little better myself since being home too, but only b/c I'm not over-exerting myself and can take a "break" whenever I need to. But as soon as I try doing anything anymore - even simple little things - I'm back to square one. I have to take pain pills just to perform simple every day chores.
It's a real blast.

What irks me most of all is that I have over 30 years of medical documentation to back me up, and two doctors vouching for me that my disability is permanent. I've worked all of my life - even when my docs told me I shouldn't - and I'm having to fight for around a measly $600.00 a month - like anyone can even live off that.
It is so frustrating.

I hope all goes well with your case, too.
Is this your first attempt?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could be sitting there worrying needlessly! Open it and put your mind at ease. If it was approved you have something to celebrate. If it was denied, pick yourself up and form a plan for another appeal!!

*crosses fingers*

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You could be sitting there worrying needlessly! Open it and put your mind at ease. If it was approved you have something to celebrate. If it was denied, pick yourself up and form a plan for another appeal!!

*crosses fingers*

And take a deep breath first!

Fingers crossed that it is good news. And
to you to give you strength to open it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

*crosses fingers*
My Husband fought with workers comp for three years. A letter came , he threw into the trash. I took it out an opened it. It was a cheque for 29,000 dollars. You need to take a deep breathe and open it

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand where you are coming from. DH has been denied twice now and we are waiting to see when his hearing before the judge is. His doctor is surprised that it is taking so long. Look on the bright side. Once you are approved, they will have to pay you from when you first applied. For my DH, this will mean over 24 months of benefits.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My Husband fought with workers comp for three years. A letter came , he threw into the trash. I took it out an opened it. It was a cheque for 29,000 dollars. You need to take a deep breathe and open it
Good thing you were there to fish it out of the trash.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Essayons89;2549660 said:
[/QUOTE
We were both in shock, Worker comp had wrongfully cut him off benefits. We had lost everything. The money allowed us to start over. He checks the mail carefully now

KittKatt Good vibes for your decision

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Bless your hearts!

Well, it's been opened - only I didn't open it.
I had my s/o do it when he got home from work. I'm a chicken - I know.

I really don't think that some people truly understand the frustration of the entire SSI process unless they've been there. You live in a world of rejections, frustration, no income, and having to rely on others for your very existance. You're afraid to open your mail b/c you have no money to pay your bills, and no one cares if whether or not you're working. You have to pay your doctors to "prove" you're disabled, and when you're not able to work, you have to rely on others to pay those doctors in order to get the necessary papers to present to the disability people. You have to prove over & over again to the state that you're STILL disabled, in order to receive a few bucks worth of food stamps in order to eat. And when you've worked all your life and have had only yourself to rely on, it's even more frustrating, b/c you have to give up your independence that got you through most of your life. You have to give it up and rely on others, and it takes your pride & spirit away....

MBJerkness, my heart goes out to you & your husband.
I can understand just why he threw the darn thing in the trash. You can only take so much before you can't take anymore.

Anyway, it looks as if my disability has been approved.
I'm kinda confused as to all the legal mumble-jumble, and am gonna call my SSI advocates tomorrow to have them decipher it for me. The letter says:

This decision is partially favorable to you. Another office will process the decision and send you a letter about your benefits. Your local SS office or another may first ask you for more information. If you do not hear anything for 60 days, contact your local office.

I have no idea what the heck "partially favorable" is supposed to mean.

But it LOOKS good!
Forgive me if I don't start celebrating though till I receive my first check!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds promising. At least it wasn't a flat denial.
that you can get it clarified when you call your advocate tomorrow.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

It sounds promising. At least it wasn't a flat denial.
that you can get it clarified when you call your advocate tomorrow.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hope you do get good news! You deserve some for a change.
& i was just about to post that you should open it... but you'd already done it!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the basic rule on SS disability benefits:

KEEP APPEALING!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Because the rules for disability are different at various levels of appeal. My mother was turned down twice and was going to give up. They kept saying she could work in the chicken factory.

On her last appeal, the letter stated clearly that the previous decisions had been correct...at their level. However, at that appeal level, the rules were different, and she was approved.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Here is the basic rule on SS disability benefits:

KEEP APPEALING!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Because the rules for disability are different at various levels of appeal. My mother was turned down twice and was going to give up. They kept saying she could work in the chicken factory.

On her last appeal, the letter stated clearly that the previous decisions had been correct...at their level. However, at that appeal level, the rules were different, and she was approved.
That's exactly where I'm at, Mike - the same level as your mom. This was my third appeal, and the "rules" changed b/c I turned 50. I guess there are some good things to be said about getting old.

As it turns out, I have been approved to receive disability benefits. It sure is a load off my mind!
I can't say that I'm happy to be disabled, but at least now I'll have my own income. It's been a long & difficult fight. I should be receiving another letter within the next few weeks to inform me of what I'll be receiving.

Thanks for your support everyone.
I know I probably sounded like a basket case yesterday, but my nerves were frazzled.
It hasn't been an easy road....

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you got something. It is such a stupid game the way they make you keep applying. I hope you get a retroactive award and some back pay

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ It is a game. They hope you give up trying.

I'm glad it's good news. Hopefully you'll get all of the back pay soon.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Glad to hear you got something. It is such a stupid game the way they make you keep applying. I hope you get a retroactive award and some back pay
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ It is a game. They hope you give up trying.

I'm glad it's good news. Hopefully you'll get all of the back pay soon.
I'll get some back pay, but not as much as I originally thought.
They're only gonna go back to my 50th birthday when they consider me "legally" disabled - not back to when I originally applied, which was almost 3 years ago.
you-know-what!

I reckon it's better than nothing.

Thanks, peeps!