Hairball Laxatives

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have never had issues with hairballs. Because of this I've never had to give them any sort of laxative. Well Max had a run in with a flea, and started pulling his hair out. The flea issue has been taken care of, but Max ingested a lot of hair. Last night I was afraid he was choking to death. I tried to get him to eat some vaseline (that's what I use as laxative for my ferrets) but he wouldn't touch it. I tried dipping one of his treats in it but he still wouldn't take it. I am taking him to the vet soon for a checkup and a senior blood panel (he's 13 years old), but I'd like to clear this up as soon as possible rather than waiting for the vet appointment. Any ideas on how to get a finicky cat to eat something he's not used to, or do I have to try to force feed it to him?

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With vaseline (or any other hairball medicine) I wipe it onto thier paw,they then have to lick it off!it works well with my cats because they hate for me to put ANYTHING in thier mouths!!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We rub Harley's on his foot, I slather Jack's on the roof of his mouth--because he'll allow me to do so, and his fur is so long I hate to have him lick more.

Leslie

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are quite fond of the laxative paste you can buy at the pet store for cats. I think the one I currently have is salmon flavored, but in any case, they both see it as a treat, and not as medication. I don't think its too expensive either, so hopefully that helps you out.

Otherwise, yes, the rubbing into their fur works too. Good luck!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like the Petnaturals of Vermont soft chews for hairballs. I usually don't have an issue with hairballs, but keep them on the a bit of a maintenance deal with the chews (2 per day each cat). Mine hated the pastes, and putting anything on their paws concluded in dirty couches, walls and everything other than their mouths!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I finally got some in him, but boy was he not happy about it. He's still periodically hacking rather loudly and sending me in to a panic attack. I've never had issues with hairballs so I don't know if the noises he's making are normal. I was planning on taking him in to the vet later this month for a senior blood panel and overall checkup, but I bumped the appointment up to tomorrow so the vet can tell me if there is something to the cough or if it is just a hairball thing (he's woken me up a few times in the middle of the night with his hacking, and it looks like he can't breathe when he's doing it
).

I'll pick up some flavored laxative tomorrow and hope he'll take it voluntarily. I also got some "Temptations" hairball control treats at the store. They claim to help break up hairballs so I'm hoping that'll give him some relief until tomorrow.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties will not eat anything wet, or soft... Bugsy was having hairball issues and I had great luck with Temptation Hairball Treats. You give about 10 treats a day, until the symptoms are gone.... I just kept giving him these instead of the other treats, and he hasn't coughed once ever since I started - great product!

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

My kitties will not eat anything wet, or soft... Bugsy was having hairball issues and I had great luck with Temptation Hairball Treats. You give about 10 treats a day, until the symptoms are gone.... I just kept giving him these instead of the other treats, and he hasn't coughed once ever since I started - great product!
That's exactly what I got

Max is finicky, and he'll snub any cat treats except for the "Temptations". He's happy with any flavor they make and was quite happy to eat as many as I was willing to give him when I got home from the store.

Hopefully that'll clear it up, but I'll still take him in tomorrow for a checkup just in case.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laxatone works very well.

Also, nutro max roasted chicken hairball control formula is a wonderful dry food if you have a kitty prone to fur balls. Velvet used to have them daily- once I switched her to that formula, they've just about stopped completly! It's amazing!!!

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Laxatone works very well.

Also, nutro max roasted chicken hairball control formula is a wonderful dry food if you have a kitty prone to fur balls. Velvet used to have them daily- once I switched her to that formula, they've just about stopped completly! It's amazing!!!
Thankfully hairball's are very uncommon for him. I think he's got a flea allergy, and after getting bit a couple of weeks ago he's been excessively pulling at his hair. I've searched for other fleas, but only ever found the one. Last time he had issues with fleas we put him on advantage for a few months and it killed off all the fleas and he stopped pulling his hair out, so I may have the vet prescribe some for him when we go tomorrow.

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave Max a bunch of those hairball treats yesterday, and today I woke up to a nice big hairball on one of my pillows

I never thought I'd be so happy to find something so icky on bed :p