Need a no fish dry cat food- Sharky?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it seems that the pet foods have changed a bit since I last asked, I figured I would just ask this question again
. I tried the "only fish oil" dry cat foods and it was a no go (URI, anyone? bah), it's gonna have to be a "no fish at all" food. I am down to 1 1/2 bags of the old formula Roasted Chicken Nutro Max, so I need to get something to start mixing in their food fairly soon (since I have to make sure I can get it in my town...).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what brands do you have access to ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm...anything at Pet Supplies Plus, Pet Supermarket, Petsmart, Superpetz, and Walmart .

Let's see- these are the lists I could find...

Pet Supplies Plus:

Chicken Soup
Diamond
Eukanuba
Friskies
Fancy Feast
Iams
Meow Mix
Natures Recipe
Nine Lives
Nutro Complete Care, Nutro Max
Purina, Purina Naturals
Purina Pro Plan, Pro Plan Selects
Purina One
Royal Canin
Science Diet Natures Best, Science Diet Advanced Protection
Solid Gold
Whiskas

Petsmart:
Authority (12)
Avoderm Natural (5)
Blue Buffalo (13)
Cat Chow (3)
Cat Sip (1)
Fancy Feast (14)
Friskies (2)
Iams (14)
KMR (5)
Max Cat (6)
Meow Mix (4)
Nutro Max (3)
Nutro Natural Choice (11)
Pet Ag (1)
Pro Plan (15)
Pro Plan Selects (2)
Purina (1)
Purina One (1)
Royal Canin (13)
Science Diet (23)
Sheba (1)
SophistaCat (9)
The Good Life (2)
Whiskas (11)

Thanks for your help!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not on your list but:

Before Grain canned has no fish varieties. (Chicken, Turkey, Quail, Beef)
Before Grain Dry Chicken formula

their site to find a store that sells it: http://www.beforegrain.com/
and you can order it online, free shipping in the US.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

It's not on your list but:

Before Grain canned has no fish varieties. (Chicken, Turkey, Quail, Beef)
Before Grain Dry Chicken formula

their site to find a store that sells it: http://www.beforegrain.com/
and you can order it online, free shipping in the US.
If memory serves the 100 meats are for supplemental use only, ie not sole food ..

I am scouring my brain for the brands listed to come up with fish free

for dry
http://www.canidae.com/cats/chicken_and_rice/dry.html but do check the bags as this company is readily changing formulas

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/default.aspx 30/35 fussy cat formula

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/default.aspx

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If memory serves the 100 meats are for supplemental use only, ie not sole food ..
Yes, you are correct of the BG canned. Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't notice that untill you said it and I looked on the can I bought today.

But the dry is a good food.... Both can be ordered online.

ETA: The Before Grain Chicken dry formula is fish free and grain free

It's pricey tho.... dunno what the OP is used to paying.

More fish free foods, again not on your list though:

Natural Balance Duck and pea http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...s/DuckCat.html
Wellness Canned (some formulas)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Yes, you are correct of the BG canned. Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't notice that untill you said it and I looked on the can I bought today.

But the dry is a good food.... Both can be ordered online.

ETA: The Before Grain Chicken dry formula is fish free and grain free

It's pricey tho.... dunno what the OP is used to paying.

More fish free foods, again not on your list though:

Natural Balance Duck and pea http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...s/DuckCat.html
Wellness Canned (some formulas)
for wet, Authority's lamb & rice formula is fish free. it's about $0.60 per 6 ounce can - maybe feed that for wet, since it's pretty reasonable, price-wise. then having to get a pricier kibble isn't as bad.
the RC special formulas can get quite expensive, as well. i looked into taste of the wild, but it's kinda fish-heavy, to me.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everybody! I'll start checking them out

The 100 meats may be something I needed, and didn't even know to ask for- Meggie has cancer, but is still very hungry (I'm getting them to recheck her blood sugars this week), so the supplements may be something that I could use for her (she's skinny
) .

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn. The canned looks okay though

Before Grain Chicken 1lb Cat, Dry:

Ingredients:
Chicken Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E), Sweet Potato Dehydrated, Dried Egg, Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crap, I forgot that I need a urinary tract friendly food too, because of idiopathic bladder inflamation (Bird- also a history of crystals)- anybody know the magnesium content in the Felidae? I couldn't find it in the nutrional facts. I used to feed that, but I switched, and I hope it's not because of that...

*bangs head on computer*

Maybe I'll just cook 'em a chicken and smear it with vitamin paste, lol and *sigh*

Oh, and I'm used to paying through the nose for pet food, due to all the "issues" they have (current dog and former dog included) *sighs again*.

The Natural Balance Pea and Duck dry looks good, but the can has fish oil. Again, no magnesium content listed, so if anyone knows, it would save me waiting and hoping that they answer my email, lol.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Darn. The canned looks okay though

Before Grain Chicken 1lb Cat, Dry:

Ingredients:
Chicken Deboned, Chicken Meal, Potato Dehydrated, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E), Sweet Potato Dehydrated, Dried Egg, Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Freeze-Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
D'ohhhhhhh. Sorry. I thought there was no fish in it.... blah.

Well, if you can get your hands on the canned, it wouldn't be bad to supplement with.

No idea on the mag content of Felidae, but the dry I have has fish in it.

Maybe the Authority one plus the canned Before Grains would be good.

What about trying raw? Is that an option for you?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, raw is not an option. Meggie has cancer, so I would be nervous about getting ahold of germs she would be wouldn't be strong enough to fight off.

I read the Chicken and Rice Felidae on the computer, and didn't find fish. However, since they changed the Dog food (Canidae) with no notice
, I will have to check it in the store.

*Goes to check Authority One(?)*

Thanks.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a strictly no-fish boy who eats both dry and canned.

What seems to be working for us is:

Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea for dry kibbles, and

Avoderm Select Cuts Chicken canned. - Petsmart
Blue Wilderness Chicken or Turkey canned. - Petsmart

It's amazing how many canned and dry foods actually contain some form of fish. All three of my cats love this combination of food. Even the picky eaters.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Unfortunately, raw is not an option. Meggie has cancer, so I would be nervous about getting ahold of germs she would be wouldn't be strong enough to fight off.

I read the Chicken and Rice Felidae on the computer, and didn't find fish. However, since they changed the Dog food (Canidae) with no notice
, I will have to check it in the store.

*Goes to check Authority One(?)*

Thanks.
Ahhh gotcha.

The Felidae I have is the Cat and Kitten Formula, so not the same as the one you found.

Do let us know what you end up finding....It would be nice to know what fish free foods there are in case anyone else ever needs it

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whoa! Nutro Max has a new formula (w/ fish)?! That's what I'm feeding my cats at present...and I just bought a new bag.... *sigh*

I can help w/ wet foods... friskies has a line of "special diet" wet foods that are supposedly good for UTI / urinary health (they have similar ingredients and % to the perscription SD formulas). The beef & liver, beef & chicken, and turkey & giblets pate varieties are fish free...and cost like .40 on sale if you can get them

The regular foods...the "mixed grill" and "country dinner" are fish free, I think and you can get the mixed grill in a 13 oz can for cheap...I pay like .70 for it. Those are just the pate kind, I didn't look up the shredded /etc. as mine won't eat it.

Other fish free wets...NB duck/pea, chicken / liver, venison/pea
Authority lamb & rice
By nature 95% meat cans...the chicken / turkey, chicken, and beef formulas
EVO 95% meat cans...all of them

I'll have to rethink my dry food choice if Nutro Max now has fish oil in it. I'd hate to be giving them UTI friendly wet and UTI unfriendly dry.

As a side note, mine all loved the duck/pea dry by natural balance. It ain't cheap, but you can get coupons and petco often has it on sale.

Art

EDIT the NB duck/pea and ven / pea cans DO have salmon oil. But, the chicken /liver pate does not. Also, I couldn't get mine to touch felidae dry w/ a ten foot pole. That company will send you samples if you contact cust. serv.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're also feeding the Natural Balance pea and duck dry formula. We also feed them EVO 95% meat canned (any flavor), and Wellness Chicken or Beef & Chicken flavors.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

Whoa! Nutro Max has a new formula (w/ fish)?! That's what I'm feeding my cats at present...and I just bought a new bag.... *sigh*
It had fish oil in it when I read it several months ago when they changed the formula. Boy, would I love to go back and read that they had taken it out!
. I bought about 5 or 6 bags of the old formula on clearance, and have been storing it in rubbermaid tubs (the dates are still good too
).

I can help w/ wet foods... friskies has a line of "special diet" wet foods that are supposedly good for UTI / urinary health (they have similar ingredients and % to the perscription SD formulas). The beef & liver, beef & chicken, and turkey & giblets pate varieties are fish free...and cost like .40 on sale if you can get them
The regular foods...the "mixed grill" and "country dinner" are fish free, I think and you can get the mixed grill in a 13 oz can for cheap...I pay like .70 for it. Those are just the pate kind, I didn't look up the shredded /etc. as mine won't eat it.
I did find these! I have to go to several different stores around here to get a variety (the things I do for my cats, lol). I'm glad to know that there is truth in advertising on those cans
. Mine will eat the shredded and pate, but not the "chunks". Go figure.

I'll have to look up the By nature around here. I think our Petco may have gone under (it's a couple of cities over)...I hope not!

Audiocat- I'll look for these (Avoderm Select Cuts Chicken canned and Blue Wilderness Chicken or Turkey canned) at Petsmart!

whiteforest- I guess I'll have to try the Duck and pea! Thanks for the other suggestions too- I'm making a list

Snake_Lady- I will most definitely let everyone know what I end up with! Maybe it will save someone else a long search and a lot of bag reading

Thanks for all the help everyone!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Andee, there is a store in Pelham and one in Helena that sells raw and premium foods, have you been to those?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I haven't! Thanks! Do you know the names?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also ........ Pet Supplies Plus on Greensprings told me he would order me whatever I wanted, I would just call him and let him know. I havent been there for a few years since we moved, but thats also an option maybe at the one near you.