Does Ally have a scrotum???

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, the emergency vet thought that my kitten was a girl. The second vet also thought so.

However, it's been a few weeks and the kitten is at least 2-3 times the size "she" was when I found "her".

As of tonight though, I've noticed something interesting. Very close to kitty's anus, the second opening has a small round and slightly raised dark spot ahead of it (not inbetween the anus and second opening). It's like a little 1cm in diameter dark bump.

Is that a teeny tiny kitty scrotum and "she" is actually a "he"?

I think this comes down to the following, on a cat, is the scrotum between the sexual opening and the anus, or is it ahead of the sexual opening, not inbetween it and the anus? The placement of this darkened and raised area is what is confusing. It's not where I'd expect a scrotum to be, such as where my dog's scrotum was pre-neutering. However, I can't figure out what else it could be.

Either this is a mini scrotum, or an odd growth the vet might need to look at.

Anybody have a reference photo that might help me? If "she" is a "he" it's no biggie. I'd probably have to change the name, but that's about it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you posted a picture, most of us can tell pretty quickly. To me, a male kitten appears to have a colon. That is, : Two openings, not very close together. A female appears to have an inverted exclamation point. That is, ¡. Some people describe it as a semi-colon. The openings are pretty close together.

I have seen a good diagram posted here, but I can't find it, offhand.

And I think Ally is perfectly acceptable as a male name. Have you forgotten Ally Oop?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that photo/diagram is helpful. It answers my first question as to the expected anatomical position of a scrotum on a cat.

I will post a photo as soon as I can get her to lay still on her back long enough.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Getting this photo was not easy, and I think Ally is probably a little miffed at me right now.

Anyways, here's a pic of her rear. Female or male? If female, what's that dark spot? You can't see it in the pic, but when she's on her back, you can see that it's raised.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh good then. No more name changing needed.

I'll just have the vet check that dark spot to make sure it's nothing to worry about next time she's in. I guess it's like a birthmark or something.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was about to say, at 9 weeks you can most definitely notice a scrotum and even testicles for that matter. Jake's were definitely very noticable at 9 weeks, here he is sleeping and you can even see them from afar, he is 7 weeks here:

You already got your answer tho ..but just in case you ever have more doubts...