Feed ferals indoor cat food?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between indoor cat food and other cat food? Is it okay to feed ferals indoor cat food, or is there something that they would be missing from that food?

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure but I think indoor may have less calories because indoor cats are not as active as outdoor?I feed all my ferals kitten food,because they are so active and it has more calories and vitamins.But I am sure they are happy to be fed anything!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I am not sure but I think indoor may have less calories because indoor cats are not as active as outdoor?
Yes, so it is. Lesser calories; ie less fat and often also less proteins.

IF you can choose, kitten food or the active-cat (=for outdoors cats) are best.

Here is also an additional twist: If it is a cheap brand - and many cat helpers arent made of money! Even the cheap brands are usually quite decent in their kitten and Active cat-formulas...

But any is better then none so....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also suggest kitten or active cat ... indoors usually also have fat metabolize rs to aid in keeping indoor kitties leaner ...

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my complete formula, but feeding kitten food is a good idea. I should start that, they need a little more meat on their bones! Poor things!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the recommendations. Kitten food it is!

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great idea. I never thought of feeding kitten food or food for the active cat to my ferals. I will pick some up this weekend and see if they eat it. I know their mouse intake during the winter has to be down. I don't think mine are very active tho...they tend to sleep in the barn or on the porch in the cat houses I put up for them. But I'm sure they would love it anyway.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed our ferals kitten food, to help chubby them up and keep them warm

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I am not sure but I think indoor may have less calories because indoor cats are not as active as outdoor?I feed all my ferals kitten food,because they are so active and it has more calories and vitamins.But I am sure they are happy to be fed anything!!
i never considered this, either! but kitten food comes in such small bags - i wish they'd market it in larger bags, like they do adult food.
i feed mine authority's regular dry, unless it's not available [sometimes there aren't any bags of it on the shelf
]. i've gotten their indoor formula, then - i've read both labels, & as far as the main ingredients [1st five or six on the label] they're identical

they also get wet in the evenings.