Chicken Stock

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got done making chicken stock
My place smells soooo good!

Chynna likes roast chicken, so each week I've been buying a roast chicken from Safeway. I have some, but I give Chynna most of the breast meat. After a few days I put the rest of the chicken in the freezer, and it was getting over run with roast chicken containers

I put some thyme, bay, black pepper corns and a little salt. I also had some frozen chicken carcasses from the last time I roasted 2 small chickens. I stuffed those with garlic, lemon and thyme. So the stock tastes pretty good.

It's also quite condensed. I can use it as is or add some water for a more mellow flavour.

I'm letting it cool a bit and then I'll put it in the fridge so that the fat hardens and I can scoop it off easier. Then I'll freeze it into portions for use in soups, sauteeing or when stock would be preferable to water.

Before I freeze it, I may cook it again tomorrow with some onions, celery and carrots for additional flavour. But I didn't feel like pulling out my restaurant size pot today and opted for a smaller one that is more easily washed

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mmmm. That sounds yummy. I love making chicken noodle soup. I'm going to have to make some soon. If my cat Hallie was there she would be begging you for some chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

If my cat Hallie was there she would be begging you for some chicken.
Before I discard the bones I'm going to reserve some of the breast meat that was left and give it to Chynna this evening. Abby won't eat it though. She doesn't like people food.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Chynna doesn't mind. That means more for her!

Does Chynna like turkey as well?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

I'm sure Chynna doesn't mind. That means more for her!

Does Chynna like turkey as well?
I don't buy turkey very often. At the most if I do buy it it's sliced from the Deli for sandwiches. But she likes pretty much all people food, even olives and pickles. She will even eat oranges.
One of her favourite people dishes is orange or lemon chicken. It's funny. She won't eat chicken if I just boil it for her and then cut it up. However, if I make chicken in a way that I'll eat it, such as in orange chicken, she will fight me to get her share of the chicken. My girl has gourmet taste

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally finished the stock. 10 cups.

I decided to recook it today with carrots and onions. I had the veggies with my dinner. I strained the stock a few times through layers of cheese cloth so that it's nice and clear.

It has flavour, but it's very bland because I didn't put much salt in it because I don't like to start out with salty things when cooking.