I really don't like shopping for clothing!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also hate shopping for clothes - nothing ever fits me properly because I am so tall. I usually just come home with shoes or underwear

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of 50/50 when it comes to clothes shopping. Sometimes I really like going, and sometimes I absolutely hate it.

Usually when I see something I really like, I either don't have the $$ for it at the moment, or they're out of my size. And then I'll go back and mysteriously it isn't in the store anymore.
Today I actually did do some shopping...I managed to actually buy quite a few things.

The thing I hate shopping for the most is pants, because I can never find ones I like the fit on. I wear two different sizes on the top on the bottom, so that makes it double frustrating trying to find clothes.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like shopping, either, for clothes or anything else. When I have to go, though, I take a good friend along (or my sister, when possible) for a second opinion on the clothes I try on.

We eat out lunch and/or stop for a coffee break and that makes the day much more fun.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! You had a productive day of shopping.

I'm the odd one of the bunch. I LOVE shopping. Malls, outlets, give me them all!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

The thing I hate shopping for the most is pants, because I can never find ones I like the fit on. I wear two different sizes on the top on the bottom, so that makes it double frustrating trying to find clothes.

I love shopping for clothes!
What I don't like is trying them on.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I love shopping for clothes!
What I don't like is trying them on.
I agree! I don't like trying them on either. I'd rather bring them home and try them on.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

I agree! I don't like trying them on either. I'd rather bring them home and try them on.
Same! I think the dressing room mirrors lie. I have bought so many clothes that I tired on in the store and then I got home and put it on and it looks awfull!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find when I am actually in need of something I can't find i, or nothing fits properly and its very frustrating. But when you are just strolling around the mall with no money, everything catches your eye

Josh and I went jeans shopping yesterday and we both actually found some!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate buying fitted things, like jackets.... but I know the places to go now for the right jeans for my body (Old Navy... they have a good cut that works for me), and I usually get t-shirts there... but now with my restricted budget and my changing sense of personal style, I'd rather design and make my own stuff... I know what works best on me and can alter the patterns to make them fit I did a test run of a jacket yesterday... I need to expand the upper arms, as they're a little tight... easy enough. I'll alter the pattern, cut a new test (using an old sheet I bought for 5 bucks at Goodwill) and sew that up. Once i know it's the right fit, I'll make it out of other fabrics, like some silk suiting I got cheap last summer.

There are some things I won't make: jeans, socks, etc... I make my own skirts, some pants, and tops... I'm slowly phasing out a lot of the storebought stuff (or modifying it to make it unique).

~A~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

I think the dressing room mirrors lie. I have bought so many clothes that I tired on in the store and then I got home and put it on and it looks awfull!
That's because the mirror is secretly just plain glass and when you look at yourself in it someone's on the other side quickly putting up pictures of models in really nice clothes. Ever looked in the mirror and thought you were getting a nice pair of black dress pants? Wrong! You get home and were tricked into buying a pair of hot pink spandex pants!

...That little scene probably only makes sense in my head.

Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I'll alter the pattern, cut a new test (using an old sheet I bought for 5 bucks at Goodwill) and sew that up.
$5 is a little pricey to be cutting up like that. You should try hitting some garage sales in better weather. Then you could get a whole box of sheets for $5.

I tackle clothes shopping the same way I do shopping for everything else. Quickly. If I can find what I like, make sure it looks like it should fit and it's not ridiculously priced, and move on within 2 minutes I'm happy. Luckily I know what brands fit well enough to do that with.
I simply do not have the ability to stand around and take my time, it can make me sick.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

...but now with my restricted budget and my changing sense of personal style, I'd rather design and make my own stuff... I know what works best on me and can alter the patterns to make them fit I did a test run of a jacket yesterday... I need to expand the upper arms, as they're a little tight... easy enough. I'll alter the pattern, cut a new test (using an old sheet I bought for 5 bucks at Goodwill) and sew that up. Once i know it's the right fit, I'll make it out of other fabrics, like some silk suiting I got cheap last summer.

There are some things I won't make: jeans, socks, etc... I make my own skirts, some pants, and tops... I'm slowly phasing out a lot of the storebought stuff (or modifying it to make it unique).
I wish I could sew my clothes these days, but it is more expensive than buying them. There's only one big fabric store in town, and even as a member and buying on sale, fabric is going to cost $10+ a metre, patterns run about $10 each, and after you add in the thread and other notions, it's just not cost effective! And it's not even made yet, and time is money, too.

I only sew now to make special things we can't buy here, mainly costumes, or special dresses/pajamas (for our daughter).

I do a lot of altering, though, on my clothes since, how to say it... my top is bigger than my bottom.

I would love to see pics of the clothes you have made!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

$5 is a little pricey to be cutting up like that. You should try hitting some garage sales in better weather. Then you could get a whole box of sheets for $5.
I agree, at a garage sale you should be able to get old sheets for 25 or 50¢, or several yards of ugly fabric to cut up for a couple of dollars.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I LOATHE clothes shopping! The funny thing is, when I was much heavier, years ago, I loved it. It started when I lost weight. Maybe I'm afraid I'll find I gained weight again by trying the clothes on?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I wish I could sew my clothes these days, but it is more expensive than buying them. There's only one big fabric store in town, and even as a member and buying on sale, fabric is going to cost $10+ a metre, patterns run about $10 each, and after you add in the thread and other notions, it's just not cost effective! And it's not even made yet, and time is money, too.

I only sew now to make special things we can't buy here, mainly costumes, or special dresses/pajamas (for our daughter).

I do a lot of altering, though, on my clothes since, how to say it... my top is bigger than my bottom.

I would love to see pics of the clothes you have made!

I agree, at a garage sale you should be able to get old sheets for 25 or 50¢, or several yards of ugly fabric to cut up for a couple of dollars.
I'll PM you the link to my creative blog... the recent pants aren't up there.... they're on my Facebook page...

Unfortunately, I wanted to work on this now, and even in our 'mild' weather of Portland (compared to back East) we don't have much in the way of garage sales right now...

Amanda

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

Same! I think the dressing room mirrors lie. I have bought so many clothes that I tired on in the store and then I got home and put it on and it looks awfull!
That's b/c it's a marketing strategy technique, designed to make you look good so you'll buy the stuff.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's because the mirror is secretly just plain glass and when you look at yourself in it someone's on the other side quickly putting up pictures of models in really nice clothes. Ever looked in the mirror and thought you were getting a nice pair of black dress pants? Wrong! You get home and were tricked into buying a pair of hot pink spandex pants!

Almost what I just said, only worded differently.
I guess I should have read the rest of the thread first before posting my last response.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im 50/50 on this, somedays i can shop for hours and try on a million things then other days i get frustrated after trying on one or two things, it depends on how crowded the stores are, i cant stand it when they are super crowded, and i cant stand it when i get hot and sweaty lol. sometimes i get miserable when i have those days when nothing ever looks right. and the size issue! i swear my jean size and shoe size must be the most common out there cause they are always out, and for jeans i cant just buy regular jeans, i have to get them in long, i have really long legs, im really picky about my jeans so usually when i find a pair i like, i will buy one in every color, the best i found recently at express, one of my fave stores, is the flare jeans, i wont wear anything but flare jeans cause it accents my shape, express is excellent when they have sales, i like macys alot too.