New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newest "keeper" girl

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Introducing: Meridian Into the Slipstream.

We don't have a nickname assigned yet, but "velcro" might be appropriate. She's glued to us it seems. But the whole litter is like that.

Picture me in the kitchen in jeans, preparing their food with 3 of 4 of the litter at various heights climbing my legs, lamenting about how slow I am getting their plates to them.

She's just 8 weeks old and has never gone into the fuzzy uglies. These pics are as fuzzy ugly as she has gotten. I think she's going to be incredible as an adult.

We've had quite a few keepers in the last 4 months, but this girl is my favorite. She'll have that super rich coloring of her dam, Cha Cha.





post #2 of 25
By fuzzy ugly are you referring to her fuzzy coat? She's very nice.
post #3 of 25
Beautiful of course, congratulations
post #4 of 25
Wow - she is already incredible!!
post #5 of 25
Wow, what a beautiful cat!
post #6 of 25
She is incredible! Very beautiful!
post #7 of 25
Slipstream!

I made a comment about how I would love to catnap both her and her mom, Cha Cha (in the Bengal Airforce thread). Still true. She's a beauty.
post #8 of 25
OHHH nice girl - her color should be outstanding and flashy. And love her eyes too
post #9 of 25
Never thought I'd say this, but now I want a purebred kitty.
post #10 of 25
Oh my heart
post #11 of 25
Oh, I am seeing spots, gorgeous SPOTS!
post #12 of 25
OMG, what a darling! What an absolute darling!
post #13 of 25
She is very pretty.
post #14 of 25
now that is a keeper ^__^. Her contrast and rossettes are gorgeous.
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
By fuzzy ugly are you referring to her fuzzy coat? She's very nice.
Sam,

Yes and No, she's not really into fuzzy uglies like many bengal kittens go into, her coat is just ruffled and not lying flat yet.

Basically think of Cheetah cubs and how they grow guard hairs to camoflage them. Compare a Cheetah cub to an adult and you'll see what I mean.

Bengals kittens often go through this same stage, where their true color/pattern/contrast is muted by guard hairs that fall out later revealing an amazing cat. This usually happens between 6 and 14 weeks of age.

The ugly-duckling syndrome in a cat.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe View Post
Slipstream!

I made a comment about how I would love to catnap both her and her mom, Cha Cha (in the Bengal Airforce thread). Still true. She's a beauty.
I've double locked all our doors! J/K Thanks for the compliments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
OHHH nice girl - her color should be outstanding and flashy. And love her eyes too
I have every hope and confidence that this girl is going to make some jaws drop on the show circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Never thought I'd say this, but now I want a purebred kitty.
Purebred kitties need loving homes too! A purebred and 3 or 4 moggies make a good kitty clan.
post #17 of 25
Just for the record - Oci's also go thru the fuzzies for a few weeks about 8-14 weeks old. Jack's breeder really didn't want to send me pics at that time, but I told her I was more interested in the head then the body. It was a bit funny looking with fuzzies on the coat.
post #18 of 25
Exotics get the longest guard hairs too but Persians don't suffer - they just have "baby coats"

Thanks for the explanation!
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
Purebred kitties need loving homes too! A purebred and 3 or 4 moggies make a good kitty clan.
Or two purebreds and two or three moggies.
post #20 of 25
Ok, I gotta ask. Why is she your pick besides her gorgeous coloring? What are her strong points and what are her weak points?

I used to show dogs (salukis and whippets) and I'm always fascinated by what makes one animal show/breeding quality and another not. How does an animal compare to the written standard for that breed?

Since I now have Anna I'm trying to learn about the Bengal breed. I realize she is not show quality and was sold on a spay/neuter contract (she is spayed) but I would like to learn more about what makes a top show/breeding prospect.

Actually, I've been following all the threads on showing and breeding regardless of cat breed. There is so much to learn!
post #21 of 25
Kitties - have you been to a TICA or ACFA show where Bengals are shown? If not, that's a good place to learn what makes a Bengal show quality. And also reading a good Bengal book.

When I got my Oci, I also picked up an Ocicat book and read it cover to cover. Then read the standards in CFA and ACFA (which is the same). My biggest problem was that Charlie was usually the only Oci and had to listen to judges compliment him on points if they finaled him or when judging.

I learned what makes a better Ocicat so that when I picked out my next one, I knew what I was to be looking for (knowing Charlie's faults and strengths)
post #22 of 25
I would love to go to a TICA show. Unfortunately, the only TICA club in my state is having their annual show on the same weekend that I will be out of town at a work related conference. However, they are hosting the SC regional show in 2010. I would think there would be even more cats and breeders at that one.

I do have the Barron's book on Bengal cats by Dan Rice, D.V.M. There is not alot out on Bengals. There is a book by Gene Ducote of Gogees Bengals - one of the founding catteries in Bengals. I plan on ordering it soon. If anyone knows of another book on the breed, please, let me know.
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe View Post
Ok, I gotta ask. Why is she your pick besides her gorgeous coloring? What are her strong points and what are her weak points?

I used to show dogs (salukis and whippets) and I'm always fascinated by what makes one animal show/breeding quality and another not. How does an animal compare to the written standard for that breed?

Since I now have Anna I'm trying to learn about the Bengal breed. I realize she is not show quality and was sold on a spay/neuter contract (she is spayed) but I would like to learn more about what makes a top show/breeding prospect.

Actually, I've been following all the threads on showing and breeding regardless of cat breed. There is so much to learn!
Good questions!

I picked her over her littermates (who are all IMO, breeder/show quality) for several reasons.
I like her long body and her huge nocturnal eye structure. Her rosettes are more closed than her siblings. For her age she meets the breed standard very well, so I was looking for outstanding things about her. Her sister is going to another breeder and both her brothers sold as show quality pets.
I'm on the fence about her ears and her tail is not as thick as I would like, but I have to keep in mind that she is only 9 weeks old and these things change dramatically as the cat approaches adulthood.
The perfect bengal cat does not exist yet, so we do the best we can. The breed is improving so fast, it's almost hard to believe. Many bengal cats now look much more exotic than a standard asian leopard cat.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe View Post
I would love to go to a TICA show. Unfortunately, the only TICA club in my state is having their annual show on the same weekend that I will be out of town at a work related conference. However, they are hosting the SC regional show in 2010. I would think there would be even more cats and breeders at that one.

I do have the Barron's book on Bengal cats by Dan Rice, D.V.M. There is not alot out on Bengals. There is a book by Gene Ducote of Gogees Bengals - one of the founding catteries in Bengals. I plan on ordering it soon. If anyone knows of another book on the breed, please, let me know.
You might want to subscribe to Bengals Illustrated. It's a quarterly magazine, as good as any cat magazine in print. I can't say enough good things about this publication. You will learn tons of stuff about bengal cats and the eye candy in the magazine is super!
Contact "Brigitte" at www.bengalcatconnection.com
You can tell them that Nial from Meridian Bengals referred you.
post #25 of 25
Thank you, for explaining. I realize she will grow and change but it's nice to learn why you picked her at this time.

I first learned of the Bengal in 1995 in the October issue of Cat Fancy magazine. I still have that issue. However, the cats shown in the article were very different from the current Bengal. Type was all over the place - round heads, wedgie heads and poor spotting. To be honest, at that time I couldn't see the point in another spotted breed when there were already Ocicats and Egytian Maus.

Then I saw the pictures of your cats here on TCS and WOW! has the breed come a long way! Gorgeous rosettes, tri-color marbles, silvers and snows, oh, my! Then I started visiting Bengal breeder sites, I saw new goals set for thicker tails, white bellies and white spectacles adding to the exotic, wild look. And glitter! Visually Bengals are yummy eye candy indeed! It's fascinating to see the evolution of the breed from that article in 1995 to the cats being bred and shown today.

By the way, the earliest CF breed article I have saved is on the blue Abyssinian from December, 1982.

Edit: Thank you for the info and link for the magazine. I will definately check it out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding