Should I get it?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes... less trouble. There are far less viruses that are written for Mac machines...
Yes, they have some quirks... but honestly, they're excellent machines. And the one you're looking at has the intel chip, so you cn run a lot of windows stuff easier... if you wish.

I have both... prefer my Mac to PC's by a HUUUGE lead.

~A~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most "troubles" are user caused, regardless of OS. I suggest that you don't replace so much as keep your old laptop, too. There's no need to throw away something that still works, with tweaks older computers are still usable provided that you're not editing large audio or video files or recording straight to it.

The reason I suggest at least keeping two computers around, if possible? You never know when something will break.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Hey all, I am thinking of replacing my Compaq Presario Laptop with a Refurbished MacBook. Should I do it? I have never owned a Mac before and would like some feedback. This is the one I am thinking of buying.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

Do they have less trouble than Windows machines?
i got a new macbook last year [it's now just a year old] & haven't had any problems w/it at all. i would recommend getting the warranty, which covers physical damage [like from dropping it] as well as software issues that might arise. the one you're thinking about is the one i have. i also got a 'soft touch' cover for it here - there are a few colors available - i got a purple one - which doesn't seem to be available anymore...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Most "troubles" are user caused, regardless of OS. I suggest that you don't replace so much as keep your old laptop, too. There's no need to throw away something that still works, with tweaks older computers are still usable provided that you're not editing large audio or video files or recording straight to it.

The reason I suggest at least keeping two computers around, if possible? You never know when something will break.
I won't be throwing this laptop away. It will be going to the neighbors (in-laws) who are in need of a new computer. First I am going to send this laptop to be serviced because a capacitor in the motherboard is faulty and has been since the day I bought it. Hp wouldn't help me with it (they own Compaq) and so I had to live with the problem for a year until the extended warranty would kick in. In the time I have had this computer, I have learned that Windows Vista is no better than the other Windows systems complete with the emotional conflicts, viruses, and multitude of other inconveniences.

With an Apple computer, I am hoping that there will be less of these problems since the hardware and software are manufactured by the same company.

Plus, my hubby has his own behemoth of a system in case mine quits.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Plus, my hubby has his own behemoth of a system in case mine quits.
Good! I suggest you read up on using a Mac, such as what programs you'll have to get to replace the ones you currently use - simple enough really. I believe you may occasionally run into a program that doesn't have an installer (more for stuff in beta testing), but that's easy enough to handle.

Vista's a load... Many say that Windows 7 is looking better, but it will have the same issues every new OS that Microsoft puts out has. Driver issues and released before major flaws are taken care of. A lot of other virus issues can be avoided by avoiding Norton.

I did run windows for years, and DH still does (for games). We've been lucky - or maybe I'm paranoid enough to prevent problems.
In any case, I can understand you getting tired of it (and HP too!). I switched to linux.

I hope the old laptop can be fixed. Since it will be getting windows back on it, I suggest you look up how to lighten it up and secure it so that your in-laws really will be getting a gift.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say try it
Mac users are so loyal I would try one given the chance too

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you go mac, you never go back

I am using a pc laptop just because I need to run reports connected to the network at work, and since it is a proprietary software, it only works on windows...
Macs are WAY more reliable and cleaner machines... Much easier to fix and maintain... You can have a Mac for a loooong time... My sister is still using my G4 (2001), and it works perfectly - she loves it!
Good luck, once you get the hang of it, you will be glad you made the move!