My dad might be allergic to cats

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been coughing a little and has some throat irritation in the past week with no other symptoms of a cold. He didn't have it before Jake was with us. He said he feels as though he is smoking again (He quit a few years ago). He is going to get tested next week. I hope he is not allergic because he loves Jake, and it would suck for him not to be able to play with him...Any experiences, living with a cat while being allergic?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may just have strep throat or something, which doesn't have cold symptoms, and can produce a cough. Has he seen a doctor? I would probably do that before automatically assuming it is allergies or getting tested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

He may just have strep throat or something, which doesn't have cold symptoms, and can produce a cough. Has he seen a doctor? I would probably do that before automatically assuming it is allergies or getting tested.
Well yea he will go to the doctor first. I doubt it's strep throat though because his sore throat doesn't hurt him a lot just a little itchy from what he says...It's just that we are all worrying it's allergies because we know we cannot part with Jake..

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to cats and have 5.
My dad is allergic and my brother.
He maybe sick from something else
Do not let the dr tell you to get rid of the cat.
They pulled that with mewhen I was 15 and I refused.
I took allergy shots.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am allergic to cats and have 5.
My dad is allergic and my brother.
He maybe sick from something else
Do not let the dr tell you to get rid of the cat.
They pulled that with mewhen I was 15 and I refused.
I took allergy shots.
I will be very upset if they dr says that...especially because my parents might try to say things like "u care about your cat more than your father" and guilt trip me. It will be hard if it comes to that ...My parents are very attached to me and want me to stay and live with them through college, and I definitely don't' want my cat to be the reason I move out, it would just come across as wrong and hurtful to them. I don't mind living here for now because it's free and they don't make me follow any rules, and they treat me very nicely, honestly I see them as roommates they are very understanding and it's nice to live with them....but I feel responsible for Jake and if it comes to giving him up I don't think I can do it, I feel obliged to do everything in my power to keep him and make sure he is well provided for...I'm confused..I really really really hope my dad is not allergic...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
even if it is allergies, there are meds to help those.
i'm not allergic to cats, but i am allergic to a bunch of other stuff. i take a zyrtec in the am, a claritin in the pm [these are both OTC treatments] plus a RX nasal spray, generic flonase. my sister likes nasalcort [OTC] spray.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to cats and guess what - they told me when I was 17!

I've lived with cats and dogs my whole life and then one day I just started scratching myself - I'd wake up in a pool of bloody every morning, I couldn't walk due to being so raw! I now take allergy medication and I'm getting better.

Of course my skin doctor told me to get rid of my cats, so I got rid of her!
[Disclaimer: just from being my doctor
]

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Well yea he will go to the doctor first. I doubt it's strep throat though because his sore throat doesn't hurt him a lot just a little itchy from what he says...It's just that we are all worrying it's allergies because we know we cannot part with Jake..
I was just using strep as an example. The point I was trying to get across is that it may not be allergies, especially since he's only had symptoms for a week. There are a lot of things going around right now, so who knows what could be causing your father to have an itchy throat and a cough. I don't think I would even consider the fact that it could be an allergy to cats until a illness was ruled out.

...you never know, if it is allergies how do you know it is to cats?? It could be something completely different.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I was just using strep as an example. The point I was trying to get across is that it may not be allergies, especially since he's only had symptoms for a week. There are a lot of things going around right now, so who knows what could be causing your father to have an itchy throat and a cough. I don't think I would even consider the fact that it could be an allergy to cats until a illness was ruled out.

...you never know, if it is allergies how do you know it is to cats?? It could be something completely different.
You're right...He just happened to suggest it as a possibility. I hope it's something else like a cold!!