Is this normal at age 39?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is going to be a strange question, but is it normal to lose your butt at this age? I used to have a really cute butt, but...it's gone now. It's flat. You could seriously put a level on my butt and the bubble would be in the middle. It's like all the padding that used to be there moved to my belly and I'm sitting on bones.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm at a desk job now where I'm sitting on it for 8 hours a day. Before that I had very active jobs (waitressing, warehouse work, etc) that kept me in shape. So I DO know I have to get into some excersise routine...I just hate excersising for the sake of excersising.

I tried on my "good" jeans last night because DH wants to go out tonight and I had a problem getting them buttoned, but the back just hung there. Nothing to fill it out.

Any suggestions? I want my butt back!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Ok, this is going to be a strange question, but is it normal to lose your butt at this age? I used to have a really cute butt, but...it's gone now. It's flat. You could seriously put a level on my butt and the bubble would be in the middle. It's like all the padding that used to be there moved to my belly and I'm sitting on bones.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm at a desk job now where I'm sitting on it for 8 hours a day. Before that I had very active jobs (waitressing, warehouse work, etc) that kept me in shape. So I DO know I have to get into some excersise routine...I just hate excersising for the sake of excersising.

I tried on my "good" jeans last night because DH wants to go out tonight and I had a problem getting them buttoned, but the back just hung there. Nothing to fill it out.

Your butt is basically made up of large muscles. And without exercising and toning, those muscles waste away and get replaced with fat. Fat is soft and saggy.

The only way to get your firm pumpkin butt back is through hard work. Lots and lots of exercise geared to developing and toning the glutes.

Here are some exercises to do:

http://www.shapefit.com/butt-shaping-exercises.html

Stairs are also great for building not only the glutes but also the leg muscles.

If you don't want to exercise and work at it, then I'm afraid unless you go for lip suction, a butt lift and implants, you are destined to have a soft and flabby butt.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The only way to get your firm pumpkin butt back is through hard work.
I have honestly never heard the term "pumpkin butt".

Look at the bright side, as some women get older they spread out and end up with big wide butts. Surely it will be easier to tone up than it would be to correct something like that.

I've never had much of one, myself. In my case it's because neither my mother or father do, either. It really does make finding nice fitting pants difficult.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a big bum but I've always kind of liked it... It is uncomfortable to sit on benches for a long time, though! There was a King of the Hill episode where Hank Hill gets these balloon-type things to wear so he can sit more comfortably, lol. I thought maybe it was a Texan thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I've never had a big bum but I've always kind of liked it... It is uncomfortable to sit on benches for a long time, though! There was a King of the Hill episode where Hank Hill gets these balloon-type things to wear so he can sit more comfortably, lol. I thought maybe it was a Texan thing!
LOL, I remember that episode! Yeah, don't think I'm going to go to that extreme.

Thanks for the link to the excersises Linda. I really don't mind toning excersises, I just don't want to have to go our running or anything like that. I know, I'm terrible but I've NEVER liked running/jogging. Not to mention with the ice still around right now running would be difficult.

And, yeah, I've never heard "pumpkin butt" either...but it's cute!
Better than "squash butt" which is what I have now.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I think I know where your butt went--straight to MY back end!

Seriously, I have heard of elderly men getting this way (not that most men have much to lose there anyway). It reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy joke: "Ever seen an old man's butt, when they lose it? Looks liek someone forced a pair of tight polyester pants onto a frog!"
I always thought that women tended to get larger in the posteriors as they got older, but I don't know how true that is.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol I dunno why but yoga gives you a bigger butt....I know through experience. I just don't understand how because yoga is supposed to make you more flexible, not more muscular..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Lol I dunno why but yoga gives you a bigger butt....I know through experience. I just don't understand how because yoga is supposed to make you more flexible, not more muscular..
You may want to research yoga a bit more. By stretching and working those muscles you will build them, it's inevitable - providing that you're also eating right to help give your body fuel to build them, too.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I knew there had to be some explanation. That's good because yoga is the only kind of exercise that I like and knowing it makes me more flexible AND tones my muscles, I'm happy. There are so many conflicting opinions about what kind of exercise is good for what, and when I try to research something on the internet I find a million of sites that just ask for money and a million others that contradict themselves..info on what kind of work out is best is hard to find on the net

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Do what feels good for you. There's no point in pushing one's self into an exercise regiment if it's not right for them (ie - stamina/health issues won't allow for strenuous exercising). That only makes a person more fatigue or sore and more likely to put off exercising altogether.

A lot of people tend to like yoga. I have no desire to become more flexible, but for most who are hypermobile to begin with it strengthens those muscles so they hold everything in place better.

IMO, running, jogging, and walking is a bit overrated. It's higher impact exercise that some people can't tolerate very well.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Yes it is called Dimished Glute Syndrom

I have never had much of a butt. Its not fat and flabby or anything it is just... not really there lol. Walking is a great excersice and a good place to walk is the mall
I like to go window shoping and I can walk for hrs and not even notice, but I can never convence myself to go for a walk every morning.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunges and squats!

Josh and I have matching nice butts because I make him do lunges with me
He has only been doing them for a couple months and already notices hisbutt muscles getting stronger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'll send you some that you get your butt back!
OMG, I'm sorry but that just cracked me up!
Seriously, that made my day! It's sad when even your husband says "what happened to your butt?"

I actually like Yoga and have a beginners video around here somewhere, I just have to find it.

And Nat, thank you for the mental image of Josh's butt muscles

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG, I'm sorry but that just cracked me up!
Seriously, that made my day! It's sad when even your husband says "what happened to your butt?"

I actually like Yoga and have a beginners video around here somewhere, I just have to find it.

And Nat, thank you for the mental image of Josh's butt muscles
I'm glad I could make you laugh
I don't think I've ever had a butt

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a woman wishing she HAD a big butt!
A big top half, maybe - but a big butt?

I've always had a flat butt. All my butt got transferred to my stomach somehow.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Geez, I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a woman wishing she HAD a big butt!
A big top half, maybe - but a big butt?

I've always had a flat butt. All my butt got transferred to my stomach somehow.
You and me both. I resemble a whiskey barrel on toothpicks.