Curious: Any techie's out there? Computer geeks in any form?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious as to who all is "into" computers/programming/graphic design/etc.

So to all the geeks out here, post away, what do you know, what do you enjoy, etc.

the hidden motive for asking.... maybe there's a few people out here that can help me when I may have a syntax error that I have spent hours looking at and can't find LOL.

My computer skills:

I have been "into" graphics since I was 16 or so. I used Paint Shop Pro up untill 2yrs ago, now I use both PSP and Photoshop. I had tried using PS before, and did not find it user friendly to a nOOb. So I gave it up untill I went and took a college course of Web design/Development.

The college course I took, incorparated a lot of different topics. The design part was small. 2 wks on PS, 1wk on Illustrator, 2wks on Dreamweaver, and 4 on Flash.

I know a little bit about alot of different aspects.

HTML, DHTML, XML, CSS
JavaScript/AJAX
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Flash
Adobe Flash (Animation)
Programming Fundamentals
C# Programming
Microsoft SQL Server Programming
Intro to gaming
Flash game development
Maya
xna game design
xna programming
visual studio
asp.net
web server admin (IIS)

So what do you other geeks do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Fastnoc is the guy you're looking for!
cool.

Aside from the hidden motive, I'm curious too
To see what field's of computer geeks we have here

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't do much on mine besides email & internet stuff - bulletin boards, shopping, etc.
i have started designing sigs for this forum, using GIMP [free!]. learning curve is a bit steep, but i'm getting there!
here are some of the sigs i've designed [including the one in my sig right now]
this first one's new, no one's seen it before now...

continued in next post...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Computer Graphics/Graphic Design here.... Print and web, but mostly print... DO not know Flash...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been working in IT since 1979. Back in those dark ages, there weren't even midrange computers, let along PCs. We submitted programs through a keypunch deck into a card reader. There were mainframe computers and I knew Assembler language inside and out. Most of the equipment I used back then is already in the Smithsonian. I visited that museum in 1998 and saw it displayed back then.

I can read a core dump from a computer and tell you what is wrong. Machine code is machine code, regardless of the computing language that creates it. I understand how computer internals work more than how to use the software that runs on them. I can read many programming languages and debug them based on logic. I haven't kept up on programming languages enough to code in them, although I can find my way around Frontpage with a little prodding from my DH. The only website that I've ever built is my Auntie Em business site.

I work on the business end of IT now - picking the software that my company uses, managing the techies that do the work, working with vendors to get work done.

So with nearly 30 years in IT, I couldn't code HTML if they paid me.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did little bits at school and college but to be honest it was all a bit scary and boring
Yep, it was all great big BBC computers and ZX Spectrums in those days and windows 95 was only on one computer, the rest had Word? I think
Something really basic and no internet.

Two years ago I started playing around on my bosses computer and that was my first time going on the internet.It was great and I`m quite addicted now
I wouldn`t say I know a lot but you learn a few bits along the way. My sister thinks I`m a geek

I love Photoshop!
heart3: It was ages before I could make anything but with the help of TCS and YouTube, it`s slowly getting easier

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Software Engineer by profession. I work for a company that develops systems used in oil and gas exploration. I've done a lot of C and C++ programming with some SQL, HTML and PDF through in. I've written a rudimentary web server and developed a web based interface for an application but don't really do much in the way of web programming. Most of my experience is on Unix or Linux platforms.

I probably wouldn't be able to help you much with any Windoze problems.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like you, a little about a lot.

I am the 'webmaster' for the shelter but still have to look some stuff up but am getting more proficient.
Definitely into graphic design (print and web)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and no. I'm not terribly interested in web, graphics, or programing... too much time on one thing - my mind wanders off to something new.

I know more about physically putting computers together, the maybe not so basic things done to keep Windows going - just up to XP though (for fun - anyone ever modified host files? ), and because I wanted more of a challenge and a decent os switched to linux. I wanted something I could have fun breaking - which I've minorly done a couple times but found too easy to fix.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm somewhat technical. Started out a looooong time ago with FoxBase and DbaseIII plus. Now I'm more into html with javascript, flash, a bit of php. I use Dreamweaver, but learned to code html in Notepad!

I used to be a big time paint shop pro user. Not so much that they got absorbed. I use a lot more illustrator and photoshop now, but there are a few things that PSP did soooo much better!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness! a dBase III plus person! That's where I started, too -- well, actually with dBaseII, but quickly upgrading to III and then III plus. My expertise, such as it is, is in databases, going from dBaseIII plus over to Paradox, when we wanted to network. I wouldn't call myself a geek, by any stretch of the imagination, but the IT people at work leave me to my own devices, and others come to me when the IT people aren't available. Sometimes I can help.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a computer geek as well... but I don't code. Code gives me headaches... heck, just looking at code makes me twitch.

I do basic web design, some graphics, etc... I use Dreamweaver for web design, with its companion, Fireworks, for the graphic manipulation. Not much in the way of photo manipulation in FW... but I can get my image maps done in that... I really want PS, but can't afford it. I'm back in school for design right now... but am leaning toward Architectural/Sustainable Building Design, instead of graphics... I know too many underpaid/out of work GD'ers.

I'm in the process of switching servers for my websites... and it's also giving me a massive headache. Seems my FTP isn't getting the access I'm supposed to be getting... I've tried everything I know of. The guys on the host forum are telling me to do things I've already tried... with the exception of a third-party FTP program (do not want!!! I have enough cr** on my computer) and installing scripts in Apache or SSH/Shell... neither of which I'm familiar with.

I know enough techie to deal with what I enjoy... but going beyond all that, like installing Apache and such, is uncharted territory to me.

Amanda

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I'm in the process of switching servers for my websites... and it's also giving me a massive headache. Seems my FTP isn't getting the access I'm supposed to be getting... I've tried everything I know of. The guys on the host forum are telling me to do things I've already tried... with the exception of a third-party FTP program (do not want!!! I have enough cr** on my computer) and installing scripts in Apache or SSH/Shell... neither of which I'm familiar with.
Um...wow...this was my life last night! I think it's Vista that's screwing me up. I'm just trying to ftp for ___'s sake, not build an A-bomb! It shouldn't be that difficult!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Um...wow...this was my life last night! I think it's Vista that's screwing me up. I'm just trying to ftp for ___'s sake, not build an A-bomb! It shouldn't be that difficult!
Amen!! I'm trying to switch to HostGator, and they don't have FTP instructions for Dreamweaver users... so I'm getting permission error messages... WT*???

I've been haggling back and forth with other users on their forums since Saturday (when I started all of this)... finally, one of the guys just said, 'submit a ticket to HG, should be easier'

I was trying to avoid that.

I'm on the Mac... I can't remember when I last had problems like this with my FTP... I hope HG can sort it out... they really need setup instructions for Dreamweaver folks... I know I'm not the only one out there who uses it. My main domain connects fine... it's my 'add-on' domains' which are all the others... I have several...

and don't get me started on the twits I have to deal with when trying to get my DNS switched over. a couple of sites (one of whom is a large popular website that starts in 'Y') won't give me the right access or some other issue... one won't let me transfer the names over to Network Solutions... despite being unlocked...

But that's a whole other issue... I'll wrangle with them eventually...

Ahh, the joys of web design...

Amanda

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frankly, in my opinion, I hate Dreamweaver's little "site management" dealie bobber. It drives me crazy. That's probably the problem.

However, their javascript rollovers make up for everything!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just resolved my FTP issue... with the single most stupid thing... I deleted the whole Host Directory path in the site setup. Now, they're connecting. *sigh*

For Chrissakes, they should state on the site you may not have to put anything in the host directory line... I've spent the last four days being really PO'ed about not being able to get my sites up... and all it took was removing the directory path.

Sheesh.

Hope you get your FTP issues resolved soon as well...
Amanda

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't call myself a geek but I do quite a bit of graphic work using PhotoShop, I also use an older version of Paint Shop Pro to make annimations, athough I don't think it comes close to what you can do with Photo Shop when it comes to computer graphics. I have tried Gimp, and I really dislike it immensly.

I also design websites using Dreamweaver, and then if I have something special I want to do on the Website, I will handcode that, but the rest I leave up to Dreamweaver. My website, is an example of both my Graphic Design work and my Web page building. The link is below my signature if you want to see it.