TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › ideas for saving the animals from bieng euthanized at the SPCA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ideas for saving the animals from bieng euthanized at the SPCA

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
hello, im going to be coming a volunteer at the spca to help with the animals, but i really want to make a diifference, my whole life my calling was to help animals and finally things are coming into place.

im trying to think of ways to get the animals who are going to be euthanized homes quickly, if i can even save a few lives its better than none.

i work in a pretty big company so my first step is to talk to HR and see if they will include my newletter in the mass email that goes out to the company once a week of center happenenings. i was thinking of puting pics of those animals along with little stories and have it go out to the whole company and also set up a donation box for the spca to keep in HR.

theres also a few local organizations around here im going to contact and see if they are interested in helping out.

first of corse i have to speak to the spca to see if they will let me do something like this.
post #2 of 20
These cats you do talk of, are they tame pets?

It is probably easier to find place for a tame pet without big problem,
compared with
a pet with problems
or a shy semiferal....

Whatever you do, it is dangerous to cheat the willing to help out. Dont promise a tame pet if it is really a semiferal.

IF they are shy semiferals, you could begin with a serie about it isnt necessary SO difficult to help a shy semiferal, as long it isnt no real feral....
For example, having own friendly homecat makes it all much easier.

(Real ferals are nothing for an unprepared amateur who wants a kitty).
post #3 of 20
Ah yes, finding places.

Your idea is very good. BOTH trying to have that big company behind, - your action perhaps resulting in them even giving some sponsorship. And also the mail letters to everyone employed. Idea: Dont have too much text in that mail. You can instead use a link to a site with the lenghy text.



My thoughts about finding places
.

Writing them up on cat-forums usually dont helps. You CAN get much sympathy and good advices, but most cat lovers in the forums do have cats, and we had already seek places, so we do seldom have unoccupied places for an extra cat.
It happens surely, but the unoccupied places we know about are fewer than you would think.

So. WHERE do we can find unocuppied places?

Many dog ownersbeing animal-lovers can accept a cat. Thus dog-forums may be better then cat forums...
- So. A dog accustomed cat has a plus here.

Horse-forums likewise.
Many horse owners can have use for stable cats. Stables are usually/often a bad place for a homecat, but can be very good places for a shy semiferal.
May be a superbt life for a TNR:ed semiferal. Or a homecat who has litter-issues.

Pedigree-cat breeders (and owners).
Dont misuse them. But these are often quite helpful. I know for example most of the breeders in my polish Russian Blue forum are quite often helping homeless semiferals in their neighboorhood. I know examples where they did make themselves great pains to help some semiferales they wanted to help.
Some do foster and adopt one. Others help them, and do use their big net of cat-acquistances to find these homeless good homes. Others help shelters nearby with food, money, used toys, advice etc...
But again. Do have them in mind, but dont misuse them.

Owners of pedigree cats can often accept an additional non-pedigree cat, a saved semiferal or a saved from euthanasy tame cat. As long as the cat is healthy - they being experienced catlovers can often help a cat too difficult for an cat-unused person.
Besides, having such saved an ex-homeless does help up their good conscience!

But they never ever would risk the health of their cats. They cant. Especielly no no if they are breeders or participate in exhibitions.

.......................

Use some appropriate text in your signature in other forums you do participate in. I use in my bridge-forums the following signature:

Cats bring joy and a feeling of harmony and well-being into a home.
Many homeless cats seek a home.
Adopt one. Contact a cat shelter!
You too can be an everyday hero.
post #4 of 20
Here in Philadelphia the SPCA is firmly behind the concept of TNRM; cats are euthanized only when it is absolutely necessary. The PSPCA in connection with the Philadelphia Community Cats Council has created a free-standing spay/neuter clinic for stray and feral cats, but we do more than just that. Here's a site where you can see some pictures of what we do--some might be a bit graphic....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29454760@N03/
post #5 of 20
The single best thing you could do for cats (and dogs, for that matter) in general is encourage your city/county to do free spays and neuters. Many researchers say this one step is cost effective and greatly reduces the number of stray animals appearing in the shelters.
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanZ View Post
These cats you do talk of, are they tame pets?

It is probably easier to find place for a tame pet without big problem,
compared with
a pet with problems
or a shy semiferal....

Whatever you do, it is dangerous to cheat the willing to help out. Dont promise a tame pet if it is really a semiferal.

IF they are shy semiferals, you could begin with a serie about it isnt necessary SO difficult to help a shy semiferal, as long it isnt no real feral....
For example, having own friendly homecat makes it all much easier.

(Real ferals are nothing for an unprepared amateur who wants a kitty).
no no no! i wouldnt do that
post #7 of 20
If you want to look at the euthanasia issue in a broad perspective, I love Nathan Winograd's book, Redemption. You ultimately need to tackle the problem from a lot of perspectives, from controlling overpopulation in the first place (low/no cost spay/neuters), to making it easier for people to adopt a pet (extended hours in shelters that are convenient to working people), to education of the public, etc. Here is his website.

Any one thing you tackle will help, but if you can approach the problem from a lot of angles at the same time, you can eventually solve the problem.

I met Nathan one time and was very inspired by his message.
post #8 of 20
If this is the book I think it is, I heard the author on a talk show some time back. He says the single thing that would encourage more adoptions and less euthanasia is to remove the incentive for shelters to euthanize strays. Most shelters get a fee for each euthanasia from their controlling entity, and many would go broke without that fee, which is usually something like $25 per euthanasia. In our heavy months, 250 animals would not be an unusual number. Do the math, and it's easy to see that this is a significant portion of their budget.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
If this is the book I think it is, I heard the author on a talk show some time back. He says the single thing that would encourage more adoptions and less euthanasia is to remove the incentive for shelters to euthanize strays. Most shelters get a fee for each euthanasia from their controlling entity, and many would go broke without that fee, which is usually something like $25 per euthanasia. In our heavy months, 250 animals would not be an unusual number. Do the math, and it's easy to see that this is a significant portion of their budget.

Grotesque!
It would be better if they get the 25 bucks for each cat to use the money freely as long they take responsibility for it.
With 25 as a steady ground you can do quite a lot.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
If this is the book I think it is, I heard the author on a talk show some time back. He says the single thing that would encourage more adoptions and less euthanasia is to remove the incentive for shelters to euthanize strays. Most shelters get a fee for each euthanasia from their controlling entity, and many would go broke without that fee, which is usually something like $25 per euthanasia. In our heavy months, 250 animals would not be an unusual number. Do the math, and it's easy to see that this is a significant portion of their budget.
I did some financial planning for a shelter once and saw the value of the payments. The problem is more about how much they get per animal they take in. They get paid per day and the controlling entities control how many days they are paid. I recall it was about $12 per cat per day. At our local high kill shelter, they get 6 days plus the cost of euthanasia at the end of those days. The shelter is supposed to keep records of every animal and they only get paid based on how many actual days the animal is kept. So unless they fudge the records, there is no incentive to euthanize early.

So the $12 per cat per day doesn't pay for medical care, nor a speuter. And you are fighting the controlling entity for funding, which in the local case here, is the police department's animal control unit. Animals always lose. What would people prefer their tax dollars go to - saving homeless animals or public safety?
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanZ View Post
Grotesque!
It would be better if they get the 25 bucks for each cat to use the money freely as long they take responsibility for it.
With 25 as a steady ground you can do quite a lot.
$25 doesn't even pay for a neuter here.
post #12 of 20
Our humane society has a barn buddies program,pretty much cats that have issues living indoors can go live on farms as barn cats not the best solution but they have a better chance then being euthanized.They humane society spays,gives the cats their shots and gives them away to farm homes,There is actually a waiting list for them it is better than the "free" cat out of the paper.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
If this is the book I think it is, I heard the author on a talk show some time back. He says the single thing that would encourage more adoptions and less euthanasia is to remove the incentive for shelters to euthanize strays. Most shelters get a fee for each euthanasia from their controlling entity, and many would go broke without that fee, which is usually something like $25 per euthanasia. In our heavy months, 250 animals would not be an unusual number. Do the math, and it's easy to see that this is a significant portion of their budget.
ive just checked my email, and already have a response from the no-kill shelter wrote to, about seeing if i can bring some of the animals to their shelter who were about to be euthanized, she asked for my local shelters website, i wrote her back with some info, and on monday when i go for my orientation im going to speak to the spca as well, my dream would be to start my own non-profit organization to save some of these animals, so lets say the spca does get 25 per euthanized animal...thru my own organization i can say just for $25.00 you can know that you just saved an animal from being euthanized, or something like that, i can get it going, do alot of promoting, alot of people are animal lovers so im sure getting donations wouldnt be a problem, if i can get my company that i work for to sponsor me and get the word out through promotions, i can give the SPCA 25 bucks for each animal i save, i might not be able to save them all,but i CAN save some.

its going to be alot of work, but its nice to know that people are already reaching out to me. one of my friends also gave me the email adress of one of his friends who works for a local vet and also comes to the spca once a week to take pics of animals who need homes, so im going to be talking to her as well. it might take alot of work, but it can happen...whenever i have more info, i will let you guys know.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
well i went to my orientation and it went good, im going in monday morning to clean up and feed the cats and give them a fresh start to their day.

i asked about possibly transferring some of the cats to a non-kill shelter and she seemed pretty open about it, she said she had to check and see wich shelters they work with and i guess just run it by certain people.

also they are going to start a fostering program where u can foster a cat that is having a hard time getting adopted until they find a home. so thats awesome!

ill keep everything posted.
post #15 of 20
The problem with getting the $25 to save one from being euthanised is shelters still only have so much space and they need that space, which is why they have to euthanise or turn animals away (if not an animal control also) which means they probably just get euthanised elsewhere. And unless you are starting your own shelter rather than just a non profit, every cat you take from the SPCA to the other no kill means one less they are taking from elsewhere. It is a horrible vicious circle.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
every cat you take from the SPCA to the other no kill means one less they are taking from elsewhere. It is a horrible vicious circle.

Yes, it is a dilemma. So it isnt enough to start another one shelter or even a coordination group although it does help some.
It is necessary to have
A) an effective program for finding more and even totally new "end-consumers" i.e. finding permanent homes.
B) This must include more fostering places for ex strays, ex dumped, and these semiferals who are socializeable.

Cats4Sky is on good way here!


C) TNR in some degree - higher or lower depending on.

D) Of course, also pressure on other planes:
Neutering of "all" cats who arent supposed to breed.
Working against dumping, including of pursuing the dumpers, and other cruelty on animals. (Today a cat, tomorrow a child...).
Rise the worth and status of the cat. For example, do never give away a cat for free. As free signals "worthless". If it feels bad for you to take money for the cat - let the buyer donate some money to some charity: Red Cross or something...
Etc.

Perhaps try to contact President Obama adminstration with a really well written letter?

I saw somewhere they had a site the president and the vicepresident wanted people to come with suggestions and advices...
http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/mypolicy
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
The problem with getting the $25 to save one from being euthanised is shelters still only have so much space and they need that space, which is why they have to euthanise or turn animals away (if not an animal control also) which means they probably just get euthanised elsewhere. And unless you are starting your own shelter rather than just a non profit, every cat you take from the SPCA to the other no kill means one less they are taking from elsewhere. It is a horrible vicious circle.
ahhh...i see what u mean..you are right, you did make a very good point. but what if the shelter had alot of open spaces? there would be room, and theres also a chance the pet being moved might have better luck getting adopted at the other shelter

im not talking about moving every cat that faces euthanization, i totally asked the SPCA if i could do it, and i would be doing this with my own money, so if they did agree to let me, i would only have the money prob only 1x a month, and my car would fit about 4 cats in carriers, so only 4 cats a month to a non kill shelter if they had the extra space...do you really think it would take away from what they can take? i would check with the shelter about that as well and make sure that bringing the cats down wouldnt fill their shelter to capacity.

my local SPCA is going to start a foster program soon and im going to promote the hell out of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanZ View Post
Yes, it is a dilemma. So it isnt enough to start another one shelter or even a coordination group although it does help some.
It is necessary to have
A) an effective program for finding more and even totally new "end-consumers" i.e. finding permanent homes.
B) This must include more fostering places for ex strays, ex dumped, and these semiferals who are socializeable.

Cats4Sky is on good way here!


C) TNR in some degree - higher or lower depending on.

D) Of course, also pressure on other planes:
Neutering of "all" cats who arent supposed to breed.
Working against dumping, including of pursuing the dumpers, and other cruelty on animals. (Today a cat, tomorrow a child...).
Rise the worth and status of the cat. For example, do never give away a cat for free. As free signals "worthless". If it feels bad for you to take money for the cat - let the buyer donate some money to some charity: Red Cross or something...
Etc.

Perhaps try to contact President Obama adminstration with a really well written letter?

I saw somewhere they had a site the president and the vicepresident wanted people to come with suggestions and advices...
http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/mypolicy
thank you! im going to see about composing a letter to the administration. Anyone else who agrees on the topic can do so as well.

a BIG thank you to everyone for your great ideas. im going to talk to the person at the SPCA again when i go in on monday, like i said she seemed open to everything i mentioned, i just think im going to have to keep up on her about it.

maybe we ALL can end up making a difference

keep the ideas coming!!
post #18 of 20
I am the one who goes in the pull from the kill shelters when we have space, this year we have already taken 40, but most were kittens and I can fit a whole litter in one cage. Last year - the whole year - we took 35. We were always full.

People surrendering always go to a no kill to ease their feelings about giving up their pet and no one wants to go to a kill shelter in general, so now while it isn't kitten season some nokills have space but come April we will be paying to board animals in vets because the shelter is too full.

The other problem we have encountered with pulling from animal control is that because they euthanise so many animals, they move animals a lot and the animals don't have as much health care so illnesses spread and when we take them we spend a lot of money on them - they always have bad URI along with whatever else.
post #19 of 20
About ideas for finding adopting places.


Im toying with a sort of idea for use of working places, industry locals, and so on.
Semiferales and sometimes friendly homeless cats.

Especielly
in our days of bad economic conjunctures... The war cry will be:
the adopted cat will give the working place good vibrations (purrs!), harmony, the feeling "if I help fate, I can hope fate will help me".
A mascot being a sign of hope. A charm of luck if you want.
And if necessary, a mouse and perhaps even a rat catcher.... (besides, rats dont like the smell of cat urine).
Something like that.

The problem is, industry locals are often no good place for a cat. But the base for the cat will probably be staff rooms if it is a friendly homeless.
Besides, it is OK for one of the staff to have the cat at home, and perhaps come with the cat in a carrier now and then. Or something.
And a semiferale being a survivor is surely smart enough to make it in the industry local....

Some system of remote adoptions are perhaps also possible?? Ie cooperation with a shelter or rescue group, the group sending their vibrations back...


I got the ideas after reading on my swedish forum about a homeless friendly stray found living in a industry place. The forumist told this longhaired cat was friendly and apparent tame. So she was working now on finding her an adoption place. Which shouldnt be too difficult with THIS cat.

But there I get the idea: if the forumist didnt find a good adoptive permanent home, why not adopt the cat as the Manufacture cat?? She did already lived there and managed, so it wouldnt be bad for her. Etc.
post #20 of 20
More ideas of finding adoption-places.

Religious folks or even religious places... Say a church-cat. or something...
Preferably if possible with cooperation of the local priests and people active in the congregation.
But best of course if adopted in the private homes of the members.

Here we have the example of good shepherd who makes himself big troubles in finding and recovering that lost sheep.
This is a tale about God and people. Or a good parish priest. But we can of course interpret this like a tale about a real shepherd and sheeps. Or a common citizen and the lost cats who may be fostered and adopted.

As I understand, Moslems are friendly to cats (although they dont held dogs in high esteeme).

Judaism as a religion is very animal-friendly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › ideas for saving the animals from bieng euthanized at the SPCA