TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Separation anxiety
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Separation anxiety

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This thread is about MY separation anxiety when I'm away from my cat, not the other way around!

I just got her a couple of weeks ago. I feel terribly guilty when I leave her alone overnight, or even for more than a couple of hours. I wonder if she's okay, what she's doing, if she's getting depressed. I always leave a light on for her, and I think leaving the TV on helps a bit, too.

But I'm kind of worried about myself! When will I stop being a clingy mommy?!
post #2 of 9
First let me say hi and welcome to TCS......Second can I tell you that you are not alone.
How old is she? Have you had a kitty/pets before?
post #3 of 9
Hi there!!!
You are not alone.... I suffer from the same "condition" The solution I found was to get Lucky a little brother, to make her company when I go away...
He has been here for 2 weeks, and everything has been great (aside that he got here a little beat up...
Good Luck!
post #4 of 9
Oh, I always ask Dottie how the kitties are doing when I'm away from home overnight.

She is probably just fine. Being an adult, she doesn't have the need for constant entertainment that a kitten would. When you're not there, she is probably mainly just eating and sleeping.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
First let me say hi and welcome to TCS......Second can I tell you that you are not alone.
How old is she? Have you had a kitty/pets before?
Thanks for the warm welcome! Mony is about 1 1/2. She does sleep a lot, even when I am home. She tends to be her most active in the wee hours of the night into the morning. And, guilty as charged, I'm a first time pet owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
Hi there!!!
You are not alone.... I suffer from the same "condition" The solution I found was to get Lucky a little brother, to make her company when I go away...
He has been here for 2 weeks, and everything has been great (aside that he got here a little beat up...
Good Luck!
I would love to get Mony another cat friend. In fact, I've been seriously considering it. However, my boyfriend has two cats, and when we move in together, we're not sure if we should have more than three.

I would feel better about all of this if I knew she was playing by herself when I'm gone.
post #6 of 9
Well, "playing" might not be the right word. Do you have some windows where she can sit and look outside? This version of "kitty TV" is a lot of entertainment to most cats.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Well, "playing" might not be the right word. Do you have some windows where she can sit and look outside? This version of "kitty TV" is a lot of entertainment to most cats.
There is a window in the family room that she can see out of from the back of the couch, but I'm not sure if she goes upstairs (my room is down one level) when I'm not home. I do leave the curtains open for her.

In my room, the window is over my bed. Ideally, I would get a cat perch that attaches to the sill, but I don't think I would have a place for when I move to my new place. I wonder if there is anything I could put on my bed so that she could hop up and sit by the window.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanagara View Post
There is a window in the family room that she can see out of from the back of the couch, but I'm not sure if she goes upstairs (my room is down one level) when I'm not home. I do leave the curtains open for her.

In my room, the window is over my bed. Ideally, I would get a cat perch that attaches to the sill, but I don't think I would have a place for when I move to my new place. I wonder if there is anything I could put on my bed so that she could hop up and sit by the window.
You are thinking like a cat already! I think it's essential to have things like a window perch, kitty condo or tower, A high area where they can get to and curl up. For example Maia has a window perch that is a carpeted shelf. It has a carpeted ramp that leads up to it and from there she loves to jump up onto my armoire where she curls up on a blanket. From there she has a stool she jumps down onto to get down. Cats love things like this, their own little places and walkways, especially the widow perch, it makes all the difference in their mental happiness.
post #9 of 9
When I'm at work I can't wait for lunch, then I drive 15 minutes home worrying that Poppy got into something or he's sad because he's been alone for 4 hours. I walk in the door and he's all snuggled up in his blanket on the chaise looking at me through sleepy eyes, like "What are you doing coming home and waking me up?!" Also, after work I try to get home as fast as I can so I can be with him all evening.

I've only had Poppy one week and I'm sure I'll still drive home for lunch to check on him for a few more weeks. It does give me a chance to play with him. Though he has plenty of toys to keep him busy when I'm not home and a perch to look out the window and he can look out the sliding glass door too.

I don't think you should worry about being a clingy mommy, I think it's purrfectly normal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Separation anxiety