Doesn't Anyone Make A Good Pickle Anymore?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I probably shouldn't eat them b/c of my high blood pressure (which has gone up higher
) but I can't help it. I just love the things!
I also love pickled beets, pickled baby corn, pickled eggs - you name it! I even like drinking the pickle juice!
But it seems as if I can't find any good pickles anymore. The only ones I've found that I really like are the cheap Walmart plain dill pickles. The other brands suck!

What a pickle I'm in!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH, I'm right there with you. I shouldn't eat them either, but I cave into a pickle fix every evening. And I love, love, love anything pickled. Especially my SIL and Daughters pickled beans. When the beans are gone...I drink the juice. It's just too good!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I LOVE pickles. In fact, one of my parents friends started calling me pickles when I was little because I always wanted a pickle.
He stills calls me that now. Clausen pickles are my favorite. Any other brand I'm not fond of. I do love those big pickles you can get at the deli. I also drink the pickle juice. One year my grandma got me a big jar of pickled baby corn. It was a funny gift, and yummy too!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i like Vlasic Zesty Dill Sandwich Stackers. just spicy enough! but they're very hard to find...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

I LOVE pickles. In fact, one of my parents friends started calling me pickles when I was little because I always wanted a pickle.
He stills calls me that now. Clausen pickles are my favorite. Any other brand I'm not fond of. I do love those big pickles you can get at the deli. I also drink the pickle juice. One year my grandma got me a big jar of pickled baby corn. It was a funny gift, and yummy too!
When I was a kid, my grandma used to hand out cookies for treats, but I didn't want the cookies.
I wanted the pickles!
Everyone thought I was weird b/c I prefered the pickles.

I don't like the deli pickles. They're way too salty for me!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

When I was a kid, my grandma used to hand out cookies for treats, but I didn't want the cookies.
I wanted the pickles!
Everyone thought I was weird b/c I prefered the pickles.

I don't like the deli pickles. They're way too salty for me!
That sounds like something I would do. But I love cookies too! I'll take both.

Claussin are my favorite. Dang, now I want pickle juice, too!
Yeah. You and me, both.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to crave pickles and olives. I would drink the pickle juice, and I would even put SALT on my pickles. My husband thought I was crazy. I swear I used to always have to have pickles and olives in the fridge and I'd eat them daily.

I found out though that I have Addison's Disease which one of the symptoms is craving salt b/c it decreases my sodium levels.

Now that I'm on daily medication I'll eat a pickle or olive occasionally, but we don't have either of them stocked in our fridge anymore.
I hardly ever even salt my food anymore, unless it is bland of course. lol

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE LOVE LOVE pickles and beets!

We have the watties brand here which makes amazing beetroot and I'll eat any pickles - I love the crinkle cut ones the best!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pickles too. When I was growing up, our neighborhood store used to make their own and sell them for $0.25. They were incredible...and HUGE! My mom used to make her own bread and butter pickles (the sweet kind) and they were good, and pretty easy if I remember right. Now I'm having a craving, and I think we're out.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I can my own pickles; I don't like any of the commercial ones anymore, too. I make 2 kinds, sweet and "regular". Making pickles is very easy; get a canning recipe (Ball Blue Book is good, though I use the recipes that come on the packs of their pickling mixes), jars, etc. It sounds more complicated than it really is! Pickles are one of the easiest things to can. Of course, if you plan to eat them sooner, you can freeze them or refrigerate them; but I think the 6-8 week waiting period when canning produces the best flavor. I just buy the Ball or Mrs. Wedge's mixes; WalMart also has them; if you wait until late Summer/early Fall, they go 1/2 price, too. They will keep for a year or so more, so I stock up then--and, of course, you can make pickles all year around, too. You don't need the Kirby or pickling cucumbers, either (hard to find and EXPENSIVE). I hardly ever use them, and (not to brag!) I know quite a few WWII German reenactors who love my homemade pickles! (We have a friend, an elderly German gentleman, who adores them--he said they are exactly what he remembers from his childhood in Germany.)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up helping my mom can pickles and I'm glad I'm not the only one that would drink the pickle juice!!
Sadly my husband used to work for a large pickle company (long out of business) and when he would talk about what the workers would do in the pickle vats: well...YUCK!!
But that was in the mid 70's so hopefully there are more regulations now!!
If I am in a pickle mood I but the ones that are sold in the refrigerated section of the grocery store-they seemed a bit more crisp.
You can make the refrigerator pickles though as its an easy recipe!! I have some recipes from the church fundraising cookbooks from the early 80's!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That sounds like something I would do. But I love cookies too! I'll take both.
Well, I'm not one to turn a cookie down either, but we were only allowed one "treat". I chose the pickle every time.

Originally Posted by calico2222

Share please!!!!

Please do!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever had fried pickles? They are so good! My favorite ones are from Quaker Steak and Lube. They are pickle spears coated in breading and fried and topped with shredded parmesan cheese with ranch dressing on the side. They are so good.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Has anyone ever had fried pickles? They are so good! My favorite ones are from Quaker Steak and Lube. They are pickle spears coated in breading and fried and topped with shredded parmesan cheese with ranch dressing on the side. They are so good.
OMG! That sounds soooooooooooo good!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loves MyCats

I've never heard of them.
Gosh, do they sound good!

I love dill dip, too. Give me some of that with some raw carrots, broccoli, & cauliflower, and I'm in heaven!