has anyone heard of the north shore animal league?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of them but they have an awesome shop on that site. I already see a few things I would buy from them and I am usually never interested and buying my animal stuff online. I just have to check and see if they ship to Canada and it would be nice to know if my buying something actually helps the shelter or if the shop is unrelated.

pebblesandmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live about 15 min away from NSAL, and I adopted my first kitty from them, Meowser, who was the love of my life. Almost everyone I know who has adopted a dog or cat has gotten them from North Shore, they are truly wonderful. The volunteers are knowledgeable and have such love for the animals. My only gripe is that they won't take in strays. A few years back, I found a stray Corgi mix and they wouldn't take him, they only will take in animals that have been rescued from kill shelters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PebblesandMeow

I live about 15 min away from NSAL, and I adopted my first kitty from them, Meowser, who was the love of my life. Almost everyone I know who has adopted a dog or cat has gotten them from North Shore, they are truly wonderful. The volunteers are knowledgeable and have such love for the animals. My only gripe is that they won't take in strays. A few years back, I found a stray Corgi mix and they wouldn't take him, they only will take in animals that have been rescued from kill shelters.
thats exactly what im trying to do...trying to rescue some of the cats from my local shelter and have them moved to a no kill shelter.

i didnt know they didnt take strays.

pebblesandmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Bide-A-Wee? They have a few locations, they are a no-kill shelter, have a few different locations in NY. They are the ones that took in the Corgi I rescued, I went to the Wantagh location. They were terrific, and even updated me when Charlie the Corgi got adopted.

http://www.bideawee.org/

Good luck!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of them and they run an international adoptathon weekend every year with shelters all over the world (mostly US but quite a few Canadian shelters and some international have got involved) and they have started up a website like petfinder for shelters to list pets.

I am guessing that they wouldn't let you take animals to them, most shelters that 'pull' from kill shelters go in and choose the most adoptable ones themselves based on criteria given to them by higher ups or when they can get a lot of media attention (Katrina, badly abused animals etc). Not sure how their intake works but for the majority that pull it is how it is done.

m_onster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They won't take strays? What a bummer.

But I guess it's hard enough supporting all the animals that are taken from kill shelters. That still makes me angry though, I know it's for a lack of funding, but people aren't god. And for all they know they might have just euthenized someone who could have been a best friend or companion