PetSitting Prices - What would u pay or charge?

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone!

I need your advice - what would you charge or pay for pet sitting? I am starting to petsit and wanted some input as what my fees should be.. I was thinking..

pet sitting at their house (stopping by and cleaning cat boxes and feeding) - 6 dollars/visit (unlimited time or visits/day)
Pet sitting in my house (dogs staying with me and cats) - 6 dollars/day

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it sounds like you are selling yourself way too short! Six dollars a day? If you ever want to petsit in Dallas.... you found a customer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I honestly haven't done sitting in soo long I forget what the fees are!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was pet sitting for a friend before, she had about 13 dogs and loads of cats (I just had to feed and water, with the occasional medication, no box scooping) and I got $20 a day, but I did have to drive a little bit..

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does 10 dollars/day sound ok?

This lady (a vet ironically) wants me to watch her small dog (at my house) and just visit her house to clean the cat box for her two cats.

What do u think?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$15 for a home visit, $20 for in-house sitting... And that's way cheaper than leaving them in a pet hotel...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We give the daughter of a church friend $10 a day to take care of our dog if we have to be out of town for a few days.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet sitting is so depending on the person you ask, the number of pets, travel and amount of care involved. In your situation it sounds like this person really trusts you (being a veterinarian) which is great! DO you have any pets at your house already? How long are you pet sitting for?
Personally I would schedule morning and evening visits with atleast 1 hour around each for the cats. Keeping the dog with you sounds best, as long as you have comfortable temporary living situation for him/her. It is best to give a weekly rate charge estimating time, travel, and expense involved. You already know your going to make sure all are given the best care and extra attention because that's the type of person you are
!
Depending on your relationship with the person and experience involved, $120-$200 a week is fare.......

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hired a pet sitter here for $25 per home visit, two visits a day, to take care of our one cat and three pet chickens. Unfortunately, the first night in her so-called care, she asked a neighbor to close up the chicken coop and he didn't know how to do it. A raccoon killed our pet chickens that very first night.

To add to it, she was very flippant about it, and briefly mentioned that they were dead in an email. It completely ruined our entire vacation. She complained in the email that she would not clean up the "mess." We are still heartbroken when we think of the terror our sweet pets faced.

We paid her 1/4 of the agreed-upon rate, since only one of our pets survived her "care."

Sorry to get into that... five years later it still hurts.
I don't know how much pet sitters charge any more, no offense, I don't trust them.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

We hired a pet sitter here for $25 per home visit, two visits a day, to take care of our one cat and three pet chickens. Unfortunately, the first night in her so-called care, she asked a neighbor to close up the chicken coop and he didn't know how to do it. A raccoon killed our pet chickens that very first night.

To add to it, she was very flippant about it, and briefly mentioned that they were dead in an email. It completely ruined our entire vacation. She complained in the email that she would not clean up the "mess." We are still heartbroken when we think of the terror our sweet pets faced.

We paid her 1/4 of the agreed-upon rate, since only one of our pets survived her "care."

I don't know how much pet sitters charge any more, no offense, I don't trust them.
OMG! That is so horrible! How could someone walk away from such irresponsible care and still except money! I hope this person is no longer a pet sitter! This is why I say this type of work/care is a delicate situation. Your experience is an example of the absolute worst that can happen!
Then she was a beotch about what she had caused..........She would have been lucky to get my 2 scents!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

OMG! That is so horrible! How could someone walk away from such irresponsible care and still except money! I hope this person is no longer a pet sitter! This is why I say this type of work/care is a delicate situation. Your experience is an example of the absolute worst that can happen!
She didn't cash our cheque for months, either, I assume because she wanted to press charges. But I had not only walked through everything with her, I also left detailed instructions for her in the house. I looked her in the eye and said, "If you do not close both doors to the coop, the raccoons will kill our chickens." She said she did not want to wait around for them to go into the coop so she asked our neighbor to close them up.

She was referred to us by our vet; after we got home and I spoke with them, they quit recommending her.

(If anybody in the Victoria BC area is concerned about possibly hiring her, PM me and I will give you her name.)

Our family is still heartbroken over this. RIP Mrs. Cluckers, Heckle, and Jeckle.

Sorry to sort of hijack here...

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

OMG!!!!! That is the worst story I have heard... (((HUGS)))

What a monster! I would have tried to sue her but of course that costs money! Wow, my heart truly goes out to you

I don't blame you for not trusting people after that horrible situation.

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She didn't cash our cheque for months, either, I assume because she wanted to press charges. But I had not only walked through everything with her, I also left detailed instructions for her in the house. I looked her in the eye and said, "If you do not close both doors to the coop, the raccoons will kill our chickens." She said she did not want to wait around for them to go into the coop so she asked our neighbor to close them up.

She was referred to us by our vet; after we got home and I spoke with them, they quit recommending her.

(If anybody in the Victoria BC area is concerned about possibly hiring her, PM me and I will give you her name.)

Our family is still heartbroken over this. RIP Mrs. Cluckers, Heckle, and Jeckle.

Sorry to sort of hijack here...
No, no it's completely ok! You are not hijacking at all. I am originally from BC. I know my older sister had a church friend watch her pets while her daughter was getting chemo and they (church friend) gave away ALL my sisters pets - 2 cats, a lemur (don't ask
), 2 doves, 2 budgies, 2 bunnies and some fish. Only got the doves back and the bunnies. My sister even took them to court over it and guess what - they won.

People are monsters!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys.

I have refused to leave our (now) two kitties so when we went to the U.K. this summer, my husband arranged ahead of time for his mom to fly here from the East coast and house & pet-sit for us. Otherwise, I would not have gone.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jamiekitty

No, no it's completely ok! You are not hijacking at all. I am originally from BC. I know my older sister had a church friend watch her pets while her daughter was getting chemo and they (church friend) gave away ALL my sisters pets - 2 cats, a lemur (don't ask
), 2 doves, 2 budgies, 2 bunnies and some fish. Only got the doves back and the bunnies. My sister even took them to court over it and guess what - they won.

People are monsters!
Please don't tell me that the church friend won the lawsuit... How did she justify giving the pets away? And your poor sister and her daughter, as if they didn't have enough going on in their lives already.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I make about $100 for a 5-7 days or $150 for 10 days. That's for 4 cats. I drive 4 miles into town & back 2x a day. Several are on meds they require 2x a day.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry that happened to you. I would have been heartbroken also. Sending you lots of

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friend s and family I usually get 10-20 a day ... If I am not friends with someone 20-25 $ per day up to four animals ( 6 if only cats ).. But I spend no less than 2-3 hours a day playing with furrys

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a very good petsitter, and I'm more than happy to pay the $18 hour she charges.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat sitter used to charge £3 per visit, for 2 cats, or £2 per visit for 1 cat. I thought that was ok, slightly cheaper than a cattery and they get to stay in their own home.