What to feed on

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flat Plates or Round Bowls?

I currently use stainless steel round bowls for their pate style wet. But I've noticed that it seems to get smooshed down pretty good in the bottom and they have a hard time getting at that bit of food.

Would a flat plate be a better choice for pate style or are there other benefits to using a plate over a bowl?

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess it really depends on what your cat likes. Some cats will only eat out of a bowl, others only off of a plate. I use plastic bowls for everything. They have a big one for their dry food that stays available and then a shallow two sided dish for their wet food. Of course my boys donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like the pate style food so they always get the sliced/chunked kind and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have any problem with food getting mushed down.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started using plates because I noticed the food getting crammed up against the sides of the bowls and the kitties had a hard time getting at it. I think they finish faster since I switched. Also, with bowls their whiskers can hit the sides and they don't seem to like that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
two eat out of "pasta bowls" ie low sided , one eats out of a regular soup or cereal bowl and one eats off a plate, one eats out of any type ...

bbleho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two plastic bowls and one ceramic. The plastic bowls have pretty steep sides and I do notice a bit of leftover food in the corners sometimes, but if they're really hungry they'll lick them clean like they just came out of the dishwasher! I prefer to use these for dry food, though I use them for wet too when the ceramic bowl is dirty. The ceramic bowl is pretty shallow, so I don't think it's a problem. Leftover food tends to be dried up along the rim instead. I think if I gave them plates they would lick the food right off onto the floor! But obviously each cat is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies.

I like the idea about low sided bowls. The ones I use now are pretty deep.

I think I will pick up one or two and see how those work out.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched from plastic bowls (too much to throw away every day) to glass plates (they kept breaking them - silly kitties) to very-low-sided stainless steel dishes. I clean them every day and they have a rubber ring on the bottom which pretty much keeps them from sliding, but if those frisky felines do get them off the table, they make one heck of a racket, but don't break!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The cat dishes I find at the stores are all too deep or too small around. The kitties don't like bowls that touch their whiskers while they're eating. I found some shallow soup plates at a yard sale and the kitties love them. The have just enough of a dip to keep the food from scooting off the plate but it doesn't bother their whiskers.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

We use flat plates

Leslie
i use plates for wet, bowls for dry. all were purchased @ BigLots for about $1 each. i have enough plates to last for a week w/o having to wash them.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A plate would definitely be the most comfortable to eat from, but my cat pushes around food with his tongue and would spill everything over the edges, so I use shallow glass bowls for food and a stainless steel bowl for water. It works well for us.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got flat face kitties so flat bowls are no good for them or they would be pushing it around all day!

Good luck finding some that suit

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my convinence, I use a bowl that I fill up with dry food and put the wet on top of he dry. That way I don't have to wash as much lol...I'm lazy