Kitty poops whenever I poop

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok... this is a little gross I know, but it's also weird enough that I had to post it and wonder.

For the last 2 or 3 days, whenever I go into the restroom to use the toilet, kitty follows me and hops into her litter box and does the same.

The first time or two she did it, I thought it was kind of cute and funny.

Now, I'm just wondering if this is some kind of behavior problem. Is it monkey see monkey do? A game maybe? Do cats engage in pooping contests? If so, I'll just be blunt, I have Crohns disease, so I'll win every time.

Joking aside, has anybody else dealt with this? She's not afraid to use her litter box alone, because she uses it other times too.

My understanding is that cats usually like privacy when using the restroom - which is why this seems odd to me.

In general kitty seems kind of odd lately. She's bouncing around the room like she's on speed, using the bathroom whenever I use the bathroom, and keeps trying to play with her reflection in the mirror by running smack into it (I would have thought after the first 1 or 2 times she'd learn that running full speed into her reflection results in "ouch"). Anything I should be worried about here? She's scheduled for the vet in another week for a follow up vaccine (which I'm hesitant to do given her bad reaction the first time).

Or has running into the mirror enough times perhaps braindamaged her explaining the other behavior? (only semi-joking here). I tried putting a pillow in the way, but she just runs up it and into the mirror.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a kitten to me!

Honestly - I am not a kitten expert but it is possible that she has imprinted on you as her "mom" and does what you do. That is how babies learn - even four-legged, furry ones. Lots of people here have cats that join them in the bathroom and even go potty at the same time.

And I am sorry that you have Crohn's - terrible thing!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy seems to believe that when meowmy uses the facilities, he might as well visit his facilities as well - often enough that I was wondering about a pattern, and my guy is about 6 years old, adopted when he was 4.

I'm not sure about the mirror - any possibility of just covering it up most of the time til she's older?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty would run into glass all the time. I have this glass coffee table and he would try to jump onto it from underneath..The trick is it's not clear glass, it's extremely darkly tinted. So I don't understand how it's possible to think that he can jump through....Anyway he used to always run into walls and do all kinds of crazy stuff that I thought each one must have given him a concussion....But now I think it probably never did. As far as the pooping, I have no idea but if your kitty is in the habit of following you around then it would explain it to some extent. Some kittens hate being alone and she probably doesn't want to go into the bathroom and risk being left alone, so it's possible that she holds it until you are near it...With the crazy things kitten do, sometimes it's amazing how smart they really are and the kind of planning they are capable of!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

She sounds like a kitten to me!

Originally Posted by darlili

I'm not sure about the mirror - any possibility of just covering it up most of the time til she's older?
what type of mirror - full length? you could cover the bottom 2 feet or so w/something like newspaper. of course, this could lead to a new 'game' - tear the newspaper off of the mirror

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the mirror is full length vertically. There's actually 2 of them, they're the two halves of sliding doors that reveal a closet. The closet is full of kitty unsafe stuff like luggage and heavy stuff that could fall onto her, so I have to keep it closed. I could try taping some newspaper onto the bottom portion.

So this bathroom thing is normal behavior? It's entirely possible that she thinks I'm her mother considering how she had been abandoned so young when I found her. She probably was only conscious of who her actual mother was for a week or two.

And I am sorry that you have Crohn's - terrible thing!
Ehh. Don't worry about it. There are much worse things out there. I get my IV infusions once every 2 months and that's about it. It's just a minor inconvenience these days. I appreciate the caring though.

I am worried that she's getting too attached to me. She seems to be more shy around other people lately, even people she knows. I need to increase her exposure to other people and figure out a way for her to get her engery out that doesn't involve head trauma.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

I am worried that she's getting too attached to me. She seems to be more shy around other people lately, even people she knows. I need to increase her exposure to other people and figure out a way for her to get her engery out that doesn't involve head trauma.
I worry about the same thing. Hopefully people have good answers! When I have visitors Jake usually just goes under a table and observes...lol none of his usual crazyness around anyone but us..

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the mirror is full length vertically. There's actually 2 of them, they're the two halves of sliding doors that reveal a closet. The closet is full of kitty unsafe stuff like luggage and heavy stuff that could fall onto her, so I have to keep it closed. I could try taping some newspaper onto the bottom portion.

So this bathroom thing is normal behavior? It's entirely possible that she thinks I'm her mother considering how she had been abandoned so young when I found her. She probably was only conscious of who her actual mother was for a week or two.

Ehh. Don't worry about it. There are much worse things out there. I get my IV infusions once every 2 months and that's about it. It's just a minor inconvenience these days. I appreciate the caring though.

Is there a way other people you know could come over and play with her?
Also - kittens can be more tough than we think... when I let the kittens out of their cages at our storefront - they run around like maniacs! They are up... down.. running windsprints... pinballing off the partitions and off of us!!! Bam! Wham! I am thinking - geez - they're gonna get hurt!

You could get her Da Bird -- many members here swear by it for tiring out their energetic cats and kittens.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Figaro goes poo when eric does
Then Eric covers it up for him becasue he wont burry his poo. Witch I think is stranger then the cat going at the same time

I think putting new paper over the mirror will just creat a new game of eat the news paper. I have never met a cat that didn't enjoy ripping paper into tiny peices. They are usually too big for the vacuume to pick up, but so small its just annoying to pick up each peice by hand
My cats love playing with their "twin" in the mirror. Your kitty will figure it out one day.

I would get a laser pointer. It is hours of fun for both you and your kitten.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I had heard that cats prefer privacy, but I think it's another myth. I have six who disproved that every day. And yes, I have at least one or two who use the litter box every time I go to the bathroom. I'd say it's normal kitten activity.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Flutterby goes poop when I put her in the pen with her kittens - she doesn't like to be penned since she's 1st - my best friend 2nd - breeding cat. Even if she's just been she will squeeeeeeeeze some out

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok... this is a little gross I know, but it's also weird enough that I had to post it and wonder.

For the last 2 or 3 days, whenever I go into the restroom to use the toilet, kitty follows me and hops into her litter box and does the same.

The first time or two she did it, I thought it was kind of cute and funny.

Now, I'm just wondering if this is some kind of behavior problem. Is it monkey see monkey do? A game maybe? Do cats engage in pooping contests? If so, I'll just be blunt, I have Crohns disease, so I'll win every time.

Joking aside, has anybody else dealt with this? She's not afraid to use her litter box alone, because she uses it other times too.

My understanding is that cats usually like privacy when using the restroom - which is why this seems odd to me.

In general kitty seems kind of odd lately. She's bouncing around the room like she's on speed, .
My kitten Aya who is 12 w/o now does exactly the same thing. Her box is behind the toilet (studio apt, so where else can I put it?). She follows me in and often hops into her box while I'm doing my thing. Sometimes she does her business while I'm there and sometimes I think she's just following mom around (I rescued her off the street a 4w/o so I think she re-imprinted on me).

She also runs around like a crazy cat most of the time when I'm home. Doing stuff I would think would get her hurt eventually (like backflipping off the sofa and climbing 6 foot shelves with her little claws). I think she spends most of the day while I'm at work napping and saves her energy for me. Good luck getting to sleep at night...

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty does the same!!! He seems to wait until we get home from work to do his poop and seems to love joining us to go to the loo! Bless him. He is also fascinated by the shower and the bath! I think you're kitty sounds normal to me. I would also remember that cats are territorial so they might not always appreciate an unknown person wandering around there territory, and to them it is completely uninvited!! My kitty Alan is confident and happy but when we have people round, if they are loud or he doesn't know them that well, he kind of goes off to do his own thing! He comes back out doing all his wierd and wonderful things when its all clear!!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of mine do this. They follow me around all the time anyway so when I go to the bathroom there they come along too and their litterbox is in there. They both take the chance to go (sometimes pee, sometimes poo) – Spooky first and then Mulder. I think its normal.

As far as the mirror – she might be lonely and trying to play with the ‘other kitten’? I would recommend lots of interactive playtime to wear her out. Mine love DaBird and the laser pointer. I get them chasing it and they go and go until they fall down panting and then they just want to go to sleep!

I socialized my boys by having a lot of people over when they were babies. My friends and family came over a couple times a week anyway so I let them give them treats and scritches and play with their DaBird. I also took them to stay with my parents a couple of times when I went out of town so I think that helped. Now even though they are very bonded to me, they will still interact with anybody who comes over. They even want to love on the Chinese food delivery guy!

Good luck with her!