Am i over stressing?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
As you know a couple of months ago Charlie (aka Sir Poopsalot) went for his first checkup since we moved house a year ago, new vet, new place. Yesterday he went in for an overnight stay to get a spot on his nose frozen off, a punch biopsy of the spot & of his ear & a blood test (recommended for his age and to check his liver is ok). I called up half an hour ago & they said it went fine, that he was just waking up. I will be calling again before we pick him up tonight.

Now apart from our heatwave & my HUGE money issues, i am worried about something possibly silly. The only time Charlie had ever been knocked out, was when he was a kitten for his spay pre-adoption. That was almost 10 years ago! I am worried he might change, he might not trust me anymore. He is already a scaredy cat & i have spent a long time trying to get him to know that we are all his friends, and that i would never hurt him (he was adopted to us at 4 months & he had already had an owner & was returned, we don't know the reason why, he has always freaked out at sudden movements, loud noises like tin foil, garbage bags etc.

So i'm worried that because i allowed him to stay in a strange place for 24 hours & for some stranger to knock him out that he will decide i've been a cruel mum & that he won't settle back down in the house or love me anymore.

I know only true cat people will understand this. Has anyone else worried about this issue before?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I've worried about it! And some kitties will respond by ignoring you for a bit, just to demonstrate their haughty displeasure. But one overnight vet stay can't undo a decade of bonding... Charlie will still love you, I promise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Of course I've worried about it! And some kitties will respond by ignoring you for a bit, just to demonstrate their haughty displeasure. But one overnight vet stay can't undo a decade of bonding... Charlie will still love you, I promise.
Thank you Carol :\\

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dragoriana

he has always freaked out at sudden movements, loud noises like tin foil, garbage bags etc.
This specific line popped out at me, b/c Geronimo's the same way. I always worry about taking him to the vet and such, b/c he's such a momma's boy and he just HATES being away from me.

I think your Charlie will probably be p-o'd at you for leaving him at "that place" and will probably sulk for awhile after he gets back home, but he'll forgive you soon enough and will probably be all over you once he gets over it.

FWIW, I don't think you're over-stressing at all. You're just a concerned and worried meowmy who loves her furbies!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I know I've worried about it - probably drove my husband crazy the last time we took one of them in.

He'll be fine. I'm sure it won't take him long at all to get back nto his old routines.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I just called again. He's still got the drip but he's completely awake (if not a little dopey). There was no biopsy done on the nose, they froze the spot a couple of times.

A biopsy was done in both ears, he has one stitch in each. He will need to wear the collar for 10 days to stop him scratching it, but on the weekend i can take it off for an hour or so, and see if he leaves his ears alone. In 10 days is when he will go back to the vet, have the stitches out and see what the biopsy report is.

His blood test was clear. He has a happy liver and kidneys, and his white and red blood cells are normal. He will be home in less than 5 hours!!!

Phew!!!

I just hope the report comes back clear :{

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

I just called again. He's still got the drip but he's completely awake (if not a little dopey). There was no biopsy done on the nose, they froze the spot a couple of times.

A biopsy was done in both ears, he has one stitch in each. He will need to wear the collar for 10 days to stop him scratching it, but on the weekend i can take it off for an hour or so, and see if he leaves his ears alone. In 10 days is when he will go back to the vet, have the stitches out and see what the biopsy report is.

His blood test was clear. He has a happy liver and kidneys, and his white and red blood cells are normal. He will be home in less than 5 hours!!!

Phew!!!

I just hope the report comes back clear :{
that the report comes back clear and
you get him back soon!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

that the report comes back clear and
you get him back soon!

I'm glad that all is well so far!

Charlie for a clean bill of health!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, is it just me, or is the elizabethan collar the biggest enemy of the feline? I feel so sorry for him =\\

He's been home an hour now. His ears look worse than they are, and though his nose looks a little pinker than usual it doesn't look that different. Amazingly when i took the gauze tape off his arm i snagged a little fur and he growled, but was purring at the same time!

He seems to be able to jump on the bed ok, but every few minutes i hear a little clink, he's walking around the house, head stooped low and the collar keeps stopping him.

Oh my little boy!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least he's wearing it - I know so many kitties who can't even function with them on. Someone mentioned they had foam ones in the US - I don't we don't have them here in NZ but what about Oz? How long does he have to wear it for?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

At least he's wearing it - I know so many kitties who can't even function with them on. Someone mentioned they had foam ones in the US - I don't we don't have them here in NZ but what about Oz? How long does he have to wear it for?
I haven't seen the foam ones before, but i'm assuming it would be just as annoying having another item touching his ears and whiskers. 10 days. But on the weekend i can take it off and see how he goes for an hour or so, to see if he tried to scratch it. My mum also suggested perhaps if he is asleep on my bed and i'm in there for a while i can take it off then as well. But i think he'd be running free as soon as it was off!
So it depends on how he behaves