Please Keep My Parents In Your Prayers

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My home town has had a terrible outbreak of the Norovirus, a gastrointestinal flu, which has closed some schools and increased the hospital admissions. At work, we've been getting newsletters about it, and even hospital employee sick-calls have reflected the problem.

It seems now that both of my parents are ill with it. My father has been sick since Sunday, with all of the G I complaints, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, chills, lethargy and weakness. He has only has only eaten some dry toast and tea in that time. Last night, my mother came down with all of the same symptoms, but it seems to have stricken her even harder. Dad took her to the ER last night because she was having bloody stools and diarrhea. Fortunately, her blood work has come back relatively normal limits (low normal.) She's scheduled for an endoscopy tomorrow. She has a history of a bleeding gastric/duodenal ulcer, so I'm afraid that's what's going on again.

My parents are in their late '70's, and in relatively good health. Unfortunately, the older they get, the frailer they get, and I'm getting pretty worried about them.

I've been thinking about looking for a home to buy, that is big enough for all three of us (my home is just too small, with 2 bedrooms and only one bathroom.) They are completely independent still, but they are getting to the point where they need someone around, just to help out a little. And with the economy the way it is, it seems so foolish for us to be paying two electric/gas bills, two property taxes, two water bills, two lawns to keep up, two driveways to shovel....ect. I've gently broached this subject with my Dad, and surprisingly, he didn't immediately shoot the idea down!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off - major for their recovery.

Secondly - I understand completely about the whole parent thing. I moved in with my mom to look after her. She is older than your folks - she will be 85 in April. Neither of us was thrilled with the prospect and it isn't always smooth sailing, but I think it was the right thing to do - and she doesn't argue that with me.

Good Luck!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many many vibes and prayers for your parents

I think thats an excellent idea about another home.
Thats always been my plan. Right now my Mother is right down the way from me, but if it comes the time, she will be with me.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope your parents & everyone get better!

Unlimited get well For your parents!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they get well soon. That virus hit one of the elementary schools around here and the closed it for several days to give everything a good scrubbing.
I hear you on the parents thing-I spent several hours today trying to get an item they purchased then decided against stopped.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of healing vibes coming their way.

It has certainly been a awful year for viruses we have a couple of outbreaks in my area as well and it is most definitely hard on the older people.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your parents. I was sick with a gastro bug for 10 days, so I feel their pain. It's all the more difficult when you are frail and don't always move as fast as you need.

My mom is almost 77. She took a spill on the ice and fractured a vertebrae last night. I live in the same town, luckily, so am able to help out. If you enjoy your parents, keeping them close would likely benefit you all. What a way to honor your parents!!!!

Take care,

Cally

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prayers for your parents
When my dad passed away we sold both homes and had one built so Mom would have a seperate apartment to herself yet be with us so we could help. It helped her feel more independant and have her own life as much as possible. Maybe getting a home with a mother-in-law apartment is a possibility. Good luck and hope they get well quickly.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of prayers and good vibes for both of them, and you!

This is bound to be as hard on you as them... Lots of
and !!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think getting a place together & sharing expenses is a good idea - especially with today's economy.

Many prayers
& vibes for your parents to get well soon!