Is Anyone Getting That Icestorm?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're supposed to get some of it tonight.
This weather is really nuts! Yesterday it started out kinda chilly, then it warmed up during the day and overnight. I got a little too hot when I was doing my chores today, and actually had to turn the a/c on for a little while. By the end of the afternoon, it started cooling off again and I turned the heat back on.

I was watching the Weather Channel, and they're really getting slammed in Kentucky. Power lines are going down, and fires are breaking out b/c peeps are using their fireplaces w/o taking precautions. Some lady's house burned down.
What a mess! Bless those poor people's hearts!

It's starting to rain here now, but so far, it's not freezing. This has been one heck of a winter.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we might be....It just started snowing like crazy, but it's suppose to turn into icy sleet/rain. The worst mixture!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly tonight... It has been raining all day, and it is below freezing - thank goodness no power outage as of yet.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had four inches of snow Monday night and Tuesday morning. All evening and overnight it's been the ice and it's supposed to turn back over to snow. Estimates are a total of 8-12 inches of snow for the two days with the storm ending by Wednesday afternoon. I love this weather!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Supposedly tonight... It has been raining all day, and it is below freezing - thank goodness no power outage as of yet.
no outages - but have you looked outside? it actually finally did something that stuck a bit, here - sleet. not a lot, but some.

Carolina - i have to drive to Fort Worth in the morning...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

no outages - but have you looked outside? it actually finally did something that stuck a bit, here - sleet. not a lot, but some.

Carolina - i have to drive to Fort Worth in the morning...
Uh-oh Laureen... Forth worth was a mess tonight... Do be careful, and drive Veeeerrryyyy slowly! I am only driving a little bit tomorrow - from the weather channel:
"ICE ACCUMULATIONS AROUND ONE TENTH OF AN INCH ARE POSSIBLE. TO THE NORTH OF I-20... SLEET ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE HALF INCH ARE POSSIBLE. MANY ROADS HAVE BECOME COATED WITH ICE AND SLEET THIS EVENING AND TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. ROADS WILL REMAIN ICY THROUGH MID MORNING WEDNESDAY AS TEMPERATURES SHOULD REMAIN BELOW FREEZING UNTIL LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING."
Here is a picture of the front of my house - there is definitely ice... very slippery ice...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not sure which ice storm you're talking about, but here in SE PA, we had about 1-2" of snow yesterday; then it started again around 8 PM, through the night. We have about 4" now, but what's worse, is the ice, up to 1/2", plus it's now sleeting again. Work is delayed for 2 hours, but NO WAY am I going out in that stuff, so I am taking a vacation day (I save a bunch for this). I also have a cold, so I think I may go back to bed a bit later, after doing the chores.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the middle of it. Started as sleet Monday night, then freezing rain all day Tuesday, and now snow. There are some branches in the drive and the sidewalk.

Here's the link for our ABC TV affiliate. http://abc25.com/

Have been lucky so far that we still have electricity.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're getting the snow end of it here ... up to 4 inches predicted in my neck of the woods. Man, this is getting old. We are already 10 inches above normal for snowfall around here!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got it here overnight. It came on top of about inches of snow yesterday. Now it's snowing again. My boss said she doesn't want any of us to try getting to work, so snow day! I'm happy about that, not so happy about having to dig out later.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're supposed to be getting it soon. There's a storm warning in effect for 8-14 inches of snow that will mix with sleet and freezing rain later this evening.
It is currently 3 degrees..sigh

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're in a level three snow emergency. I don't even know if I can get the car out to go to work tonight.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been and gone here in Southern Illinois. The sleet/freezing rain/ice pellet mixture started Monday night and lasted through Tuesday. My hubby went out and cleared off the car yesterday, but since we live on a rural road with very little traffic (and no 4-wheel drive) he decided to stay home. We took a walk in the afternoon, and there were at least 2, maybe 3 inches of ice-pellets everywhere, crunchy and slick. Overnight, we got a good 4 inches of snow on top of that! Once we swept off the car, we had to break through nearly 1/2 inch of solid ice just to get the car doors open. It was no fun at all. But eventually we got the car de-iced and out of the snow drift, and hubby went off to work despite the yucky roads. But because of the weather, they did cancel church tonight...so looks like I'll be staying inside the rest of the day!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had snow that turned to sleet last night. Now it's snowing again. I don't think I can get my car out to go to work tonight. Several people took advantage the last snow we had and called in when it wasn't necessary. We got talked to about having to come to work unless it's a Level 3 and Franklin county never goes to level 3. Normally they aren't nearly that strict about it but some people took advantage so everyone got talked to. I think I'm going to have to call in though because I don't think I can even get out of the apartment complex. I didn't call in last time but corporations always put everyone in the same group and deal with them the same way.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I'm north of Cincinnati and we have a lot of ice and snow--glad our next door neighbors are good friends, we have a board game we play them and we played until like 1:30 last night--looking forward to playing all day today!!

Leslie

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm further south of you guys (WVa) and we got a little snow yesterday with freezing rain on top of it. Needless to say, I called into to work this morning. DH has 4 wheel drive and was able to get out the dirt road but the alternate road we live off of was still crappy. Picture 1/2 mile of dirt road not maintained by anyone (with a hill), a secondary road that is like a rollercoaster ride which gets touched when they get around to it, then the main route in WV where they don't use salt. Yeah, it's a fun trip until you get into Maryland because that's a different world.

Right now, the ice is melting and it's raining, but the temp is suppose to drop after the sun goes down again, which ISN'T good! The roads are going to be so ice covered they are telling people to stay home if possible. Unfortunately DH has to work until 8:00pm with a 30 minute commute home.

It was an experience feeding the outside cats this morning. Where I feed them is at the end of our driveway and it goes down on a gradual slope. First I had to break the ice that covered the plates and bowls (and get the ice out that covered what was left from last night), and then I had to coax the poor babies up over the bank that was ice covered to get their breakfast.

Now that it's not at freezing temp, I'm making some nice warm beef bullion broth that I'm going to mix with some old bread and crackers and any leftovers I find so they will have something warm in their tummies.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday, while I was sitting in 75 degree temps in Jackson, MS, it started here in Dallas. The trucking school where Dottie works sent everyone home at noon and said not to come back in until noon today. This morning they called and said not to come in today at all.

I made a stop in Monroe, LA, about 7 last night. It was still warm enough that people were eating on the patios of restaurants. But only about 10 miles west of Monroe, I hit the wind shift. It got steadily colder and rained at times. In Shreveport, the rain was really coming down.

It didn't start freezing until between Tyler and Canton. It got steadily worse until there was nearly an inch of ice/slush on bridges, and a steady rough coating on the roads. I got to the DC about 1 a.m., and there wasn't much traffic out. Dispatch said we had trucks that were stuck behind accidents here and there, and they weren't sending any more trucks out until sometime today.

I had to get in on the right side of my pickup; the left side was coated with about 1/2 inch of ice. I have an ice scraper, but I had to run the pickup for about 15 minutes to melt a little ice next to the windshield before I could get any off.

I made it home OK about 2 a.m. It was very slippery in spots, but I only saw 2 cars who had gone off the road all evening. Apparently everyone took it seriously and went home.

It got very cold for this area, down below 20 degrees, before the sun came up. Right now (1 p.m.), the temp is just about freezing.