TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Is Anyone Getting That Icestorm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Anyone Getting That Icestorm? - Page 2

post #31 of 48
We got a good bit of snow and ice here in the Memphis area.
post #32 of 48
Yea, it hit on the night that I needed to wake up early to be somewhere. I woke up to a car with about 3 mm of ice all over the vehicle. It took about 40 minutes of scrapping to get the ice off so I could drive without being pulled over
post #33 of 48
No ice storm but stay safe for those involved in wicked winter weather
post #34 of 48
We just finally got electrical power back about a hour ago. It was just rain till about midnight last night, but had been raining all day. Then it froze, the rain became freezing rain, and after all that, it turned to snow about dawn and snowed 2 inches on top of it.

It took me almost 2 hours to get home, only to get here and find the power off.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
We just finally got electrical power back about a hour ago. It was just rain till about midnight last night, but had been raining all day. Then it froze, the rain became freezing rain, and after all that, it turned to snow about dawn and snowed 2 inches on top of it.

It took me almost 2 hours to get home, only to get here and find the power off.
Was wondering how you were doing, Mike. Hopkins and Muhlenberg were really hit hard and I understand you are southeast of there.
post #36 of 48
Thank you all for sending the weather to us in the east.

It started snowing last night and snowed all day. Shortly after dark it turned to sleet then rain. It doesn't look like it doing anything right now but I have been told that is it supposed to turn back to snow over night.

I don't know much snow we actually got here. But I have friends who live in the norther half of the state and they got over a foot of snow today.

I took today off as a snow day. I have no problems driving in bad weather but avoid it if I can. These days the problem is walking.

In my decline walking on dry pavement can be a challenge. The city I live in is not very good at clearing sidewalks so I stay home if it's going to be bad out.

Another plus to staying home is my car being parked inside all day and not having to clean it off.
post #37 of 48
This January is driving me crazy! Snowed yesterday, rained today, freezing again, now they speak of flooding here in WV.

There are constant snow days off from school. I am an in-home child caregiver, so I'll have my normal 3 toddlers, plus a sibling or two, plus MY THREE, and this house isn't big enough!

I have a somewhat winter-inexperienced 16-year-old driver in the house and I feel sick every time he gets in his car.

Finally, this ice/snow mess has passed - sorry New Englanders!
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Was wondering how you were doing, Mike. Hopkins and Muhlenberg were really hit hard and I understand you are southeast of there.
From the looks of the weather maps, we only got the southeastern edge of the thing. I feel sorry for the folks caught in the middle of it
post #39 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecatowner View Post

I have a somewhat winter-inexperienced 16-year-old driver in the house and I feel sick every time he gets in his car.
I can relate to your anguish. I just about went crazy when my son was first learning how to drive, and he faced his first winter. He had an after-school job, and worked till 10-12 at night sometimes. I could not get to sleep till I heard him come home. I was working 2 jobs at the time, from 7 in the morning till 10-11 at night. I was always tired b/c I got very little sleep b/c I couldn't sleep till I knew he was home safe & sound.

Driving on ice is the worst! I'd rather face a raging blizzard than an ice storm any ole day. You can at least get traction in the snow. What used to irk me were the drivers who had 4-wheel drive, and thought that they could still go faster than they should, just b/c they had the 4-wheel drive.

I feel for y'all. I have not forgotten how horrid an ice storm is.

Stay safe, everyone!
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecatowner View Post
This January is driving me crazy! Snowed yesterday, rained today, freezing again, now they speak of flooding here in WV.
you? just last week, we had 70+ degree temps here - then 2 'snow' days this week.
post #41 of 48
I'm freeeeeeeee!!! Finally, got the car out of the driveway. The cavalry came by and cleared a lot of the snow and ice out. Before I hurt my back I could anything my landlord asked to get a decent discount on my rent, now I can't do any of it.

Anyway, I'm free and hungry. I'm tired of eating the same stuff after being cooped up the last two days. KFC isn't as good as it used to be.
post #42 of 48
Still fortunate to have electricity though a lot of areas don't. There are a couple of Kentucky counties that are almost 100% without power.

My sis and BIL got their vehicles cleaned off and took the 4WD to the store. Even if I got my van cleaned off, I could not go anywhere as they had to use the lower drive and it requires a 4WD at times like this. The main drive is blocked by limbs and BIL says from the looks of limbs still in the tree, he isn't touching any of them.

Generators have been very popular and the only ones left at one store are small ones. I even heard a guy drove a truckload from Mississippi(?) , parked in a lot and sold out. Even the local police were seen buying them.
post #43 of 48
& now that we've had our 2 'bad weather' days [this past tuesday & wednesday], it's currently 62 degrees F.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Generators have been very popular and the only ones left at one store are small ones. I even heard a guy drove a truckload from Mississippi(?) , parked in a lot and sold out. Even the local police were seen buying them.
That's what happen to us after the large ice storm in the beginning of December. I work for an electrical supply company and we were swamped with phone calls for generators. Unfortunately we sold out. The few days after the storm was crazy. People were calling and coming in for all those things, and other items for generators such as transfer switches and plug ends and cord. We are just now getting caught up on the backorders from December. The company we get them from were all out completely.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam102284 View Post
That's what happen to us after the large ice storm in the beginning of December. I work for an electrical supply company and we were swamped with phone calls for generators. Unfortunately we sold out. The few days after the storm was crazy. People were calling and coming in for all those things, and other items for generators such as transfer switches and plug ends and cord. We are just now getting caught up on the backorders from December. The company we get them from were all out completely.
We now know what you guys went through. Our area has had ice storms but not this bad or extensive. Electric crews have come in from Kansas and Michigan. Kudos to them all!

We had our own outage this afternoon. Luckily they were able to fix it and we only had to shiver about 4 hours.
post #46 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady
Generators have been very popular and the only ones left at one store are small ones. I even heard a guy drove a truckload from Mississippi(?) , parked in a lot and sold out. Even the local police were seen buying them.
I hope y'all are being cautious about purchasing generators from peeps in parking lots. After Hurricane Rita & Ike blew through and we were w/o power, we had a lot of scammers that sold cheap/refurbished ones that didn't work at all, or didn't work for very long. When they tried taking them back for a refund, the scammers had already blown town. It takes a real to take advantage of desperate peeps, but unfortunately, it does happen.
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
We now know what you guys went through. Our area has had ice storms but not this bad or extensive. Electric crews have come in from Kansas and Michigan. Kudos to them all!

We had our own outage this afternoon. Luckily they were able to fix it and we only had to shiver about 4 hours.
Yup, we had crews coming in from Canada and Maryland, and I think there might have been more from other states too, but I'm not sure. And still, reading the local paper online, you should've seen some of the comments people were making. They were yelling at the crews through the website and putting them down, saying they weren't working hard or fast enough, because some people were without power for a week or longer. Some of them were complaining because they had seen electric companies trucks at restaurants and were complaining because they weren't out doing their job and getting the power back on. I couldn't believe what these people were saying, when the crews are out there round the clock working to restore the power.

We were one of the lucky ones though, we never lost power. On my drive in the work the morning after it happened, I could tell where the hardest hit areas were. While I drove through Concord, it didn't look too bad, but as I drove into Manchester, I had to avoid trees that were on my side of the road, and at one point drive through a bunch of thin branches because I couldn't go around them.
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam102284 View Post
Yup, we had crews coming in from Canada and Maryland, and I think there might have been more from other states too, but I'm not sure. And still, reading the local paper online, you should've seen some of the comments people were making. They were yelling at the crews through the website and putting them down, saying they weren't working hard or fast enough, because some people were without power for a week or longer. Some of them were complaining because they had seen electric companies trucks at restaurants and were complaining because they weren't out doing their job and getting the power back on. I couldn't believe what these people were saying, when the crews are out there round the clock working to restore the power.
Yep, we have the same thing going on here.

There are a couple of Kentucky counties that are almost 100% powerless and are advising folks to pack up and head elsewhere for the duration.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Is Anyone Getting That Icestorm?