heartworm prevention

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your cats on it? Is it something I definitely need to get my kitty on?? My vet recommended it but I just want to be sure it's consistent with other vets...

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My state has terrible mosquito and flea problems. Doesn't matter that mine are inside cats. The fleas will come in on your shoes and the mosquitoes come in when the door is opened.

Also, they can get tapeworms from a flea. Can't get around those pests.

So, yes, I use what the vet recommended. I don't like using chemicals on them but feel it is the lesser of all the evils it prevents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the medication hard to administer? Does it take a lot of time?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Is the medication hard to administer? Does it take a lot of time?
It's usually topical. Like Revolution..... so its easy to put on

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not use heartworm .. only 3 cases in 5 yrs all dogs ...

if a chewable or a tablet you may have some issues with giving it to kitty but no more than any pill

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use revolution on Lucky, but it turns out that Bugsy is allergic to it... He will need to get a regular flea medicine from now on... Since we wont live in a moskito area soon (LA, CA), I think I might take Lucky off of it as well...

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think more vets are recommending it for cats these days; mine has brought it up on my last couple of visits. All of my cats are inside cats, and the vet admitted that she hasn't seen a high incidence of heartworm in our area, so I decided to skip the treatment.

It is true, as one of the previous posters noted, that mosquitoes can easily get inside, so I suppose there is always a risk. It's something that every owner has to decide for her/himself.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I don't know anything about this though, like do I need to get it from the clinic or can I just buy it from an online pharmacy? I am just curious because tomorrow Jake is getting neutered and I was wonderign if I should ask about it..I've never given him any pills...Do they have to be given on a regular basis?

newkittylove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah they have to be given regularly, I think once a month usually... at least that's what my dog is on. I haven't started with Toby yet but I'm sure the vet will recommend it as well.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution on my 3 1/2 year old Bengal since I adopted him last May. I had previously used it on my Golden Retriever and my first cat that passed last Easter. Kody, my bengal never really goes outside, so I debated on using it on him. My vet recommends it though. In Houston, TX we still get alot of mosquitoes in the house, and as the vet says, it only takes one.

Anyway, I get the vet to fax a prescription to Drs. Foster and Smith. If they don't want to fax it, they can give you one to mail. If you check online sometimes the price may be a little cheaper somewhere else, but Drs. Foster & Smith are always pretty close to the lowest (sometimes they are the lowest). Comes out much cheaper than my vet and the vet acknowledges that it is the same as what they sell. I have always read to be careful, that some sites sell weaker or fake medications, but I firmly believe that both 1800PetMeds and Drs. Foster and Smith are legit.

Anne

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Hmm, I don't know anything about this though, like do I need to get it from the clinic or can I just buy it from an online pharmacy? I am just curious because tomorrow Jake is getting neutered and I was wonderign if I should ask about it..I've never given him any pills...Do they have to be given on a regular basis?
Yes you can buy it online if you so chose, you need the prescription from the vet though.

This link is about flea meds: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ight=flea+meds
which also covers the ones that work for worms.

Some are pills, some are topical. The topical is quite easy, you just spread the fur on the back of the neck and squirt it on.

Giving pills isn't horrible (depends on the cat). If you don't feel comfortable giving a pill, there's "pill pockets"
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ht=pill+pocket

The above thread has different methods of pilling.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see...I will probably do the revolution too because it seems easier to spread on fur. I have to wait 3 more months to get Jake tested though because he is not 6 months yet. Then I will get him started. There are so many diseases to watch out for it gets confusing.