"If they had hands, they wouldn't need us."

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is my Muddy's littermate brother Elwood. He's a polydactyl and can do things with his paws that other cats cannot. He has been known to turn the lock on the cat flap door to let himself outside. Other cats can't do this.

He has 6 digits on his front paws and an extra digit on each of his back feet. I bottle fed this litter since they were 10 days old (orphans) and I thought he was simply deformed until my friend told me about polydactyls. Its a recessive gene so we don't know if Elwood had a different father than the rest of the litter, or it just happened to show up with Elwood.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had them come through the shelter on occasion... sweet cats, but not always.

They're also known as Hemingway Cats, as Ernest Hemingway used to have a whole massive colony of them on his property in the Keys (I think that's where they are). All the cats there are Polys. The foundation that maintains the house and property still care for the colony. Some are friendlier than others, but they're well cared for. You can see many of them as you take a tour of the house. They have free reign. I'd love to go someday...

Amanda

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I've had them come through the shelter on occasion... sweet cats, but not always.

They're also known as Hemingway Cats, as Ernest Hemingway used to have a whole massive colony of them on his property in the Keys (I think that's where they are). All the cats there are Polys. The foundation that maintains the house and property still care for the colony. Some are friendlier than others, but they're well cared for. You can see many of them as you take a tour of the house. They have free reign. I'd love to go someday...

Amanda
Yes, that's where that is... and I would also love to go sometime. I think there is a web site...with pics, etc.