How many cats are too many?

andrewfeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I have a question. How many cats do you think is an acceptable number to have until it becomes just too much?

I currently have 4 cats and I just have a desire to get another
But I worry. People at my work say that it's weird to even have 4 cats so having another makes me think perhaps I'm going a bit too far?

Should I ignore the work imbosiles and go with my kitty instincts? Or should I stop with the 4 I currently have?

We live in a 2 bedroom house. It's big enough for another cat I would say as one of our current cats spends ALL of its time outside... so strictly speaking we only have 3 cats that actually stay in the house.

Advice please!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who cares about what other people say??? Do they pay your rent, or your bills??

If you have the means, the will, the space and the love, why not give another kitty a chance of a great life? I say go for it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrewfeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

If you have the time/funds and love for another kitty. Go for it!

I've got 4 adult cats and 5 kittens
Aww. How many of the kittens are you keeping?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

If you have the time/funds and love for another kitty. Go for it!
Once you can't care for them properly, you have too many. That number is different for everyone.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you have the financial means to care for them, the room for them, and enough time to give them each the human interaction they need to stay well socialized, you don't have too many.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

As long as you have the financial means to care for them, the room for them, and enough time to give them each the human interaction they need to stay well socialized, you don't have too many.
Some people think it's weird to have one cat. I don't care what they think as long as I can vet, feed and socialize all the ones I've got (says the girl contemplating #3)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For ME, 3 would be too many...but I have a little apartment and limited funds.

As long as you can properly care for them including vet bills..then you are g2g.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also try to consider your current cats when you want to get a new cat.
Some cats do not cope well with new cats/more cats in the household.
More cats do not always equal more fun.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

...As long as you can properly care for them including vet bills...
That's the thing you have to consider in advance. Right now, all six of our kitties are 2 to 7 years old and in good health... but we don't know how we'll handle it as they get older and possibly develop serious medical problems. Thank goodness, they've always been strictly indoor cats, so that greatly reduces the chance of disease and injury. All we can do is hope for the best.

Anyway... please just bear in mind that circumstances can change, and that a kitten (if you're lucky) is a twenty-year commitment. If you feel confident in your ability to care for another cat, then bless your heart for making a place for another furry little friend!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people on this site will tell you the same thing. How many cats you have should depend on 2 things.
Space. Do you have enough room for X number of cats.
Resources. Can you afford to feed, and provide vet care for X number of cats.
I have 3 cats, I would love to have more but mine is a space issue, I live in a smallish apartment and I really don't have room for anymore.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of your marital status or kid status, but having kids can definitely make it more difficult to keep those kitties high up on the priority list. When I started having babies I felt I wasn't able to spend as much time with my then two cats - although it got better after a few years. They were much-loved and cared for, but I felt kind of guilty. Just something to keep in mind...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, the point previously made about your current cats is very valid. Do you have confident, outgoing cats - they might accept a new cat with little upset, but you might consider a similar personality for the new one so he/she is not overwhelmed by your current cats. Are any of your current kitties a little on the shy side? If so, you don't want the new one to have too strong a personality 'cause he/she might push your shy guy further down on the hierarchy.

Also, when bringing a new cat in, you'll want to increase the number of litter boxes, as well as the vertical space available to them - cat trees do the trick quite nicely.

Good luck!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AndrewFeline

Hi guys,

I have a question. How many cats do you think is an acceptable number to have until it becomes just too much?

I currently have 4 cats and I just have a desire to get another
But I worry. People at my work say that it's weird to even have 4 cats so having another makes me think perhaps I'm going a bit too far?

Should I ignore the work imbosiles and go with my kitty instincts? Or should I stop with the 4 I currently have?

We live in a 2 bedroom house. It's big enough for another cat I would say as one of our current cats spends ALL of its time outside... so strictly speaking we only have 3 cats that actually stay in the house.

Advice please!
I think as long as you follow the council laws, have the physicial, emotional and financial means to look after them, then there shouldn't be a set number. If you know how to look after and love them, and they have the room as well to roam, then it should depend on you.

Btw, there are alot of people on this forum who have over 10 cats
We had 4 at one point, having workmates tell you it's weird just shows they have no idea what it is like to be a real cat person. Just ignore them, it's none of their business frankly.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who cares what people at your work think.
I just got my I plan on showing her.
Once I learn how to show I will get a show cat.
I have permission to show Cleo.
My brother has 8 cats and a dog.
When i was a kid we had 10 cats and a dog.
As long as you can take them to the vet and take care them its fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me I set my limit to 6 adult cats. I know that is how many I can handle and give attention to. So far its worked out well as I was breeding rexes and only kept a few of them personally.

You have to know how much money you need for care (think emergencies too). Its different for each person. The sad thing is that you have too many people who love helping each cat, but honestly cannot care for them properly and give each attention. I knew someone that was that way and it was hard to try to tell her she had too many. She passed away a few years ago, but she really had far too many cats (all of them rescues/strays).

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Currently i cave 3 cats(1 pregnant) and 4 dogs(2 fosters) and maybe i will keep some kittens depends how many she has(my boyfriend has not agreed yet,but he will) I know my limit would be 6 cats/kittens.