Do you think these plants are cat-safe?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI everyone. ... Do you think these plants are cat-safe? http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/for/1007348601.html I like the way both look but I don't want them to make my cats sick or worse. my decor style is Asianesque (slightly Asian but not literally Asian) but my cats are more important!!
Anyway I realize it's tough to decipher what these plants really are over the internet and I'm not looking for official answers (unless you're willing to give one) .. I'm just asking for your thoughts.

Is there like a natural spray for plants that will give the cats a foul taste if they bite the leaves?? I think there is or else I'm getting confused

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Umbrella tree (they are calling it a "money tree") is listed on the Cat Safe list as being non-toxic. These plants are easy to grow but need lots of light to stay full and not drop leaves.

The "fluffly" pine-like looking plant could be a Norfolk Pine, although it's hard to tell cause it looks a little "sparse" and leggy in that picture. The pots on both those plants are nice!

I my experience cats really like to go after plants that seem grass-like and have thin leaves (like palms). If you get the Pine you should put it in a place where your cats can't get to it.

Cat Safe Plants

Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

If you get the Pine you should put it in a place where your cats can't get to it.
Good advice. I will stick the pine in an inaccessible spot. And thanks for the list.

I got both (I have a very sunny large window) because the seller lived so closeby and I like the way they look and I like the blue gray pot it's real pretty.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still wondering about the protective "bad taste" spray . I think I read about that somewhere, either here or somewhere else. If anyone knows, please share.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitter apple spray. But I'm not certain if that's something that would be safe to regularly spray on the plants.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the Bitter Apple Spray, and it works very well. I only have to spray it on my houseplants about once every six months, and my cat leaves them alone.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

I use the Bitter Apple Spray, and it works very well. I only have to spray it on my houseplants about once every six months, and my cat leaves them alone.
Thanks. I might try it