Update on Moley and Scarey and Momma Kitty!!!!!

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we picked up our babies and have brought them home.....they are resting comfortably in our laundry room - I am so glad that it is a room that they are used to. They actually did not run from us when we opened the cat carriers.....tomorrow we get Momma Kitty..

I copied and pasted my post from earlier today to share our good fortune.....

What a morning this has been!! As in my previous post I had trapped Moley last night. This morning when I got up my other kitty "Scarey" came to the window and was very very loving.....I was able to back her into the kennel and trap her as well this morning!! Needless to say, they are both at the clinic getting spayed/neutered and my husband and I have to pick them up this afternoon. All went well so far with the babies.....I am currently kiity proofing my laundry room (it is big) to make them safe and comfy when we bring them home.

That is not the whole story though When we were at the clinic we told them that the Momma Kitty has been gone for 10 days....they told us that the shelter only keeps cats for 7 days then they are destroyed.....well, I got the number and address and took a ride over there to see if she was there......
SHE WAS!!!!! But the caveat to this is today was the day she was to be killed....I got there just in time....they have had her for 7 days and she was the first on the list to be euthanized.....the happy ending to this story is she is getting spayed and we will be able to pick her up tomorrow afternoon!!! I have been an emotional wreck after knowing that I came so close to losing her.......she is a true feral so it will be interesting to see how she reacts when she is brought home and reintroduced to her babies.....

I have been instructed by the clinic to use kitty litter and shredded newspaper versus dirt - although they have been going potty outside they do not want them to get any infections.....

I want to thank everyone for all the help and suggestions - I will certainly keep everyone posted about their progress...... Kathy
Edit/Delete Message

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you! I am so glad you were able to find her and save her in time. Mews2much is right - she can be your "outside" kitty. At the very least, you have saved her from more litters and a "too-short" life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Good for you! I am so glad you were able to find her and save her in time. Mews2much is right - she can be your "outside" kitty. At the very least, you have saved her from more litters and a "too-short" life.
She actually will be what ever she wants!!! I am so glad that we were able to save her......time will tell.....my husband is loaded with allergy pills and eye drops and he is actually taking care of them while I am at school.....

Talk soon and thanks for all the support!! this site rocks!!!

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, needless to say I did not sleep well being worried about my girls.....yes!!! they are both girls

I got up at 430 this morning to check on them...at first they were a bit reluctant when I walked in but they were out of their shelter. The first thing I noticed was that they used their litter boxes and ate some food.....I was very happy to see that! I sat on the floor and just talked to them and then Scarey came up to me to be petted.....boy was she purring loud! Moley is a bit shy now and she really wants to go outside.....

As I am typing they are talking to me
It is going to be interesting when we bring Momma Kitty home this afternoon.....the cat lady at the pound said she was a "nasty" feral....I said, yes she is but she is MY nasty feral

So far so good.....as the days progress I will keep everyone posted.....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by KathyM

So far so good.....as the days progress I will keep everyone posted.....
Congrats!
I really hope you will keep us updated!

I think you can do it in ONE thread. You can change in the head of the thread after every major news. Say: Update, or the datum; or 1-3 words.

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Congrats!
I really hope you will keep us updated!

I think you can do it in ONE thread. You can change in the head of the thread after every major news. Say: Update, or the datum; or 1-3 words.
Thanks for the heads up StefanZ!!! and for sure I will keep everyone updated

At school right now and left the babies in good hands with my hubby.....will check in later

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We picked up Momma kitty and brought her home

She is very much still under the effects of the anesthesia and we have left her to rest. We did find out that she was pregnant after all....I am so glad that we have given her another chance to live - a healthier one at that!!

The babies are still being a little shy but doing good.....

As always I will keep all posted!

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! Momma kitty survived the night quite well.....she has eaten a bit this morning but of course she is still wary. The animal shelter said she could be released today.....not gonna happen!!!! It snowed and now it is freezing rain...no way! She is staying right where she is until I know she can go outside

Moley and Scarey were very happy to see me this morning
Scarey was very lovey and all she wanted was to be petted and loved on

Moley on the other hand, was looking for an escape route
Although she did let me pet her a bit as well. We are going to keep the babies in the house as our babies - Momma will be released and I am hoping that she will continue to be our outdoor kitty.

What an incredible journey this has been for myself as well as my husband with feral cats - I have always had domesticated cats and at first it was very hard to keep them at a distance but my patience certainly has paid off.

Thanks again for all the support - will continue to post our feral journey!!!!

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning - I have refrained from posting to much but I so wanted to give an update

We let Momma kitty out of the nast kennel yesterday. It had the horrible smell of the shelter and she just wouldn't get out of the litter box that was in there. She is hiding under the bed but has been using the litter box and eating as well as drinking water. She will stay in the bedroom for a while longer until I know that she is a-ok. She will be released outside and I hope that she will continue to be my outdoor kitty!

Moley and Scarey have taken over the laundry room
They have toys and a scratching post and lots of room to roam. Moley yesterday has finally come up to me (as I sit on the floor) to get some petting and cooing that she has seen her sister get! The mornings are the most lovey for them.....I sit with them for about an hour (also time throughout the day and evening). This morning Scarey let me pick her up and put her in the crook of my crossed legs and she was just in heaven....Moley then came over and plopped right down in front of us and wanted the same loving that her sister was getting!! I also got lots of kisses from both of them this morning

it makes me feel so good! They are both

My husband and I have totally decided that the babies will be our indoor pets and given time (lots) we will let them out but that wont happen until they roam the house without looking for an escape.

Thanks to all for putting up with all my posts!! Have a good weekend and will check-in in a few days!! KathyM

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We believe that they are around 9 mos old now. I figure that they were born sometime in late april early may.

I think they are beutiful as well!!!

I posted that we released Momma kitty last tues. and she came to the window for dinner tues and wed but we have not seen her since.....I am wondering if she found another place to live or that this big grey Tom ran her off.....thoughts on this? Thanks

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic that I put up for all to see what we had to do to keep our vertical kitty Moley from going behind the heater... We did not want her to catch on fire or anything so this is what had to happen to keep her safe. It has been a month since we brought them inside and decided to keep them in the laundry room until next week.

They are still a tad skittish at times but for the most part they are very loving and they really look forward to seeing my husband and myself in the mornings. With my husbands allergies he has done quite well.....He has had only minor eye irritation but nothing on a grand scale!!!

Unfortunately it has been 3 weeks since Momma kitty left.......we still hope that she will come home....

Feral kitties are certainly not dumb kitties by no means!! This has so totally been some adventure with them! Wishing everyone the best with their feral babies!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feralbabies[/quote]

kathym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, today my husband and I let the kitties out of the laundry room to explore the house.....they have been in the laudry room for a month and 3 days. We were unsure of how they would react and when they came out they just kinda slinked around to check things out.....so far so good. They will have the run of the main part of the house but the bedrooms are off limits (hubby allergic) and I will continue to feed them in the laundry room and also that is where they will sleep at night. They are growing so big and their personalities are so funny!! Moley is still my vertical kitty and Scarey is just a kick back kinda kitty although she does like to explore.....

I would like to thank everyone that has helped me with all my questions regarding ferals.....this has been quite an adventure from start (when they were tiny babies) to now......we love them very much and our ultimate goal is to have them as indoor and outdoor kitties.

Unfortunately, Momma kitty has not come back home and she was not captured.....I just hope that she found another home and that the people are taking care of her. Maybe someday she will come back and visit. Thanks!! kathyM