If you found $100,000 dollars what would you do?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd turn it in without a doubt. I would guilty spending a cent of it, and how would you explain to anyone why you were suddenly spending so much? If you tried to bank a large amount of money I imagine it would set off alarms with the IRS.

Realistically, I think it'd cause more trouble trying to keep it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Wow, that'd be hard. Normally I'd say I'd turn it in but with the way things are financially right now Im honestly not sure what I'd do.
Same here.... A few months ago, sure, I would turn it in; now - probably not

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would turn it in. I would be wishing I could keep it but knowing my luck it would be marked bills or even counterfeit.
First time I tried to use any of it sirens would blow.

So, just to save me all the worry I would turn it in. My DH wouldn't even hesitate turning it in. He is so on the straight and narrow it's not even funny!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that I would turn it in. I think I would but now the way things are I would be much more tempted to keep it.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would turn it in. I'd be afraid to have all that money... who knows where it came from or who was missing it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'd turn it in without a doubt. I would guilty spending a cent of it, and how would you explain to anyone why you were suddenly spending so much? If you tried to bank a large amount of money I imagine it would set off alarms with the IRS.

Realistically, I think it'd cause more trouble trying to keep it.
You couldn't put it into a bank - or at least no more than $500 a month without looking too suspicious. But there are thousands of people that get paid in cash in this country - a good portion aren't here legally. Of course then you have your drug dealers and other criminals.

Simply use cash in places where your name won't be tied to anything. To make some online purchases/pay bills, you may be able to get around things by using things like visa money cards. There's also ways of checking for marked bills.

As for $100,000 becoming your's if it wasn't claimed? Does anyone think a police precinct and city would let that much out of their hands? There's little chance that it wouldn't have been stolen or drug money, so they'd find some way to tie it up.

I'd simply leave it and not become involved at all or take it if I was certain there'd be no way to trace I did it (witnesses, surveillance cameras) - even if I were to take it to the police, you certainly don't want anything pointing to you if whoever lost that much came looking for it.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel guilty just saying it but I would keep it, I have so many bills, so far behind my head is spinning & honestly I need a break!!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably keep at least some of it .... which is terribly morally wrong, but it could do a lot for me!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My conscious would not allow me to keep it, even though I desperately need it. I believe in what goes around, comes around. I don't know how long our local police will keep it, but if it remains unclaimed, then the money would be mine.

On the other hand, DH says he would keep it.

ronnycage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
donate most of it... spend the rest. but at first id wait to see if it was someones... maybe someone dropped their life savings or college fund. depriving someone of that would be ashame.