What brand of soap do you use??

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm talking the kind you use in the shower for your body. Does anyone here use hand made bar soaps? If so, what company do you buy from? I know everyone's skin is different, but most bar soaps that I have tried are really drying, but I can't find a face soap that doesn't give me acne. I need something for my face that is gentle, for sensitive skin, and completely fragrance free, especially synthetic fragrances.

I'm also looking for a new body soap. I'm looking at all sorts of different online soap companies, and found a bunch that sound good but I'd like to get opinions first. I prefer "clean" or "floral" scents.

I've tried Lush, but hubby doesn't like the smell of any of their stuff. I currently have a bath bomb and a few different bubble bars from them but I can't use them b/c he throws a fit whenever I do. They were expensive and I brought them all the way back from Chicago. LOL

I've also tried Chagrin Valley soaps but they were all too drying, and a couple different ones from Whole Foods (can't think of the brand) and had the same problem. I currently use Dove Sensitive Skin, but I'd prefer to find something a bit more natural. Thanks!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm so I don't trust any of those hand made bar soaps and stuff, I use Dial lol. I am a clean freak and as far as I know Dial does the best job at actually cleaning. I wash myself once with dial and then I use a moisturizing body wash... In reality though the one thing that really makes a difference in dry skin is not using hot water when you shower and taking quick showers, like under 10 minutes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dial would be WAY to harsh for my skin. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I can't even use scented Dove in the winter b/c it makes my skin REALLY dry. I do take really short showers, as short as I can anyway and still get everything clean. I only wash my hair every other day and just rinse it with water in between (no it doesn't get gross, and it still smells like shampoo on the in between days). I use sensitive skin Dove and sensitive skin Nutrogena for my face, and I still get dry and itchy. I use lotion on my face and body immediately when I get out of the shower, but nothing helps. My skin is just REALLY sensitive.

When I worked at the hospital I couldn't use the medicated soap they have on a regular basis (had to use hand sanitizer unless the handwashing with water was absolutely necessary) b/c my hands would blister and bleed and I would be in tears b/c my hands hurt so bad. I did see the workman's comp doctor and nothing he gave me helped except when I switched the hand sanitizer. Weird, huh??

Just curious...why don't you trust them?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i prefer body washes - i have a bunch by Bath & Body Works. even my hand soaps are liquids [also by B&BW].

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i prefer body washes - i have a bunch by Bath & Body Works. even my hand soaps are liquids [also by B&BW].
Up with Bath and Body Works! Love their soaps, body washes, and lotions!
Good luck finding a good natural soap, though. Sorry I am not any help!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bath and Body Works makes me break out in hives. LMAO!!! I have about 10 bottles of body wash from there sitting in our linen closet b/c of that. I used to be able to use it, but about 5-6 years ago I suddenly started breaking out in hives and had to stop using them. I check every so often to see if I can use them again, and I can't. I liked to switch scents every week or so b/c I love scented stuff. It's such a bummer that I can't use any scented stuff anymore.

I've tried just about every brand of body wash that I can find and I've had various degrees of rashes from them. Some worse than others, and B&BW is about the worst. I think there is something that they put in the liquid soaps that I'm allergic to. That isn't something they can really test for at an allergists, though. I've asked. lol

It's hopeless.

The only liquid soap I can use to wash my hands is Cetaphil. It doesn't work on my body, though. I have worked in childcare since I was 16 (I'm 31 now) with infants, and with changing diapers every 5 minutes I had to wash my hands a lot and this is the only thing that wouldn't make my hands bleed. Not saying they didn't get chapped, but they weren't as bad as with any other stuff I tried.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Bath and Body Works makes me break out in hives. LMAO!!! I have about 10 bottles of body wash from there sitting in our linen closet b/c of that.
what scents are they? i might be willing to take some off of your hands!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

what scents are they? i might be willing to take some off of your hands!
Can I pm you tomorrow with the scents? My husband is asleep and I would have to go through our bedroom to get to them and I don't want to wake him up.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Can I pm you tomorrow with the scents? My husband is asleep and I would have to go through our bedroom to get to them and I don't want to wake him up.
sure! especially if they're the 3-in-1 kind. they've evidently discontinued that line, & it's my favorite!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a Bath and Body works kind of girl.
Unfortunately, those are gel soaps. I don't use bar soaps anymore.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora: Have you tried Dr. Bronner's bar and liquid soaps?
I love their bar soaps... Every time my mom comes here she buys a bunch of them, as she has super delicate skin, allergic to everything under (and including) the sun!
They are great, non drying, all natural, etc. You can buy them in any supermarket on the organic session.

Good Luck!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried the unscented liquid Dr Bronners, I use it for most of the cleaning in my house. I haven't tried the bar soap, though. They sell it at our neighborhood grocery store, as well as at Whole Foods. I'll have to pick some up and try some. Thanks!!

I think I'm going to try this soap also. It says it is really good for sensitive skin. It is the "Sooth and Smooth (Unscented)" and is about half way down the screen. To make it worth my while I think I'll buy some soap for my son also.

http://www.simplysoap.com/Rustic%20S...Collection.htm

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you will actually need prescription soap, or a special soap from the chemist, it wont have a scent on it because that's what usually triggers the dryness and acne! One of my good friends has that problem and she has to wear that special soap or else even her face will be in blisters

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've tried the unscented liquid Dr Bronners, I use it for most of the cleaning in my house. I haven't tried the bar soap, though. They sell it at our neighborhood grocery store, as well as at Whole Foods. I'll have to pick some up and try some. Thanks!!
Try it - you will love the bars - I think you should look for the Baby Unscented one...
Hope they work for you Kara - at least they are super accessible.... Since you already use the liquid ones with no problem... I think you are safe with the bars.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know of an unscented shampoo and conditioner?? Preferably without silicones?? LMAO I'm so picky, huh?? Chagrin Valley has a new shampoo bar that is coconut oil free and fragrance free. "Olive Babassu" I have tried their other shampoo bars and didn't like them, but haven't tried this one. I guess it won't hurt to get a sample.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Lush soap of course! www.lush.com
LOL I love Lush but my husband hates it. We just had a discussion about it tonight. We went to Chicago last October and I went to the Lush store there. I bought a bunch of bath bombs and bubble bars. Since my husband doesn't like the smell of any Lush item I haven't used a few of them. I decided to take a bath last night and used a bit of a bubble bar (can't recognize which one) and he freaked out today. *sigh*

I had a TON of soap, including some discontinued ones, but I ended up giving them to my mom. I got most of them off the Lush swap board before they shut it down.

Would you like a Bathos bubble bar and a Sakura bath bomb? I still have 1/2 of the unknown bubble bar and 1/2 of a MA bubble bar that I need to use up. They are over a year old, the Sakura seems faded but I think it was like that when I got it, and the Bathos looks brand new and is still really soft and bright purple. PM me if you'd like them.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jason Natural, also in the organic section of your market or whole foods, has quite few cone frees/fragrance free shampoos and conditioners.
One trick I do is to dilute the shampoo in an applicator bottle, before applying to my scalp and hair - this way I get all the benefits, and not nearly the stripping I would get if I was not diluting it... Plus... I save $$$ too :-)
Right now I am back on cones because I am managing a hair product company, so I've got to use their products, which for my luck are amazing!!!
If you want to go cheap, alberto V05 has cone free shapoos and conditioners - look for the clarifying conditioners
They are a buck each!