I tried to help a pigeon and sparrow, dont know the outcome yet.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was Grocery shopping and I found 2 birds laying on the ground flopping. It was freezing out and I thought they were hit by cars and got mud on them that froze. I didnt know what to do at first I cant bring them home and it was late out. So since wet birds will get drafty very soon and if they cant fly they are doomed, I went to a nearby pet store to ask if they could help. They had 2 cardboard boxes and offered to keep the birds in there own box overnight in the back room since the pet store is VERY warm for all the exotic birds and the birds will be comfortable. So we picked up the birds and it turns out they werent even injured, King Kullen groceries sign has spikes so the pigeons and sparrows dont nest there cause the poo is messy. Well the birds never left, and so the sign got filthy and had to be cleaned and re-painted. So after soaking the sign (an apparently birds hidden in the sign) sprayed Silicone to protect the sign, and it got sprayed all over these poor birds and left them flightless and sticky. Whether it was done purposely or not is unknown. So the pet store workers tried to clean them off with warm water and mild soap, and it helped a bit.

So the next day I came to pick up the birds and bring them to a Wildlife vet, the ONLY one who accepts these birds since they are considered invasive and nobody else helps them, which is unfair IMO since people did this to them. I was hoping they were better and mabye even fine to re-release. The birds survived the night and were 50% b etter, and pretty active, but they still were sticky and the sparrow being smaller had more gunk on its body, the pigeon was in better shape. So I got them to the place and gave them some bird see in case they wanted to eat, since they were adults. then the vet came out and said we cant do anything for them, BUT, a worker here is a Volunteer and helps injured wildlife at home (except owls and raccoons he needs a liscense for them) I was so happy he was there at least to give them a chance now better than the being outside frozen. He said the pigeon is a good possibility to live, the sparrow needs extra help its whole body has stuff on it, not to mention he hopes the birds didnt eat whatever it is an get poisoned. He sais they can try for 2 days to clean them off and get them well and to rest, but after 2 days if it looks grim they have to be PTS. He said though will my quick thinking and being the birds were cleaned a little already and were kept warm that helped a lot.

So i'm hoping for the best they fully recover and can be reunited with their flocks.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope they'll make it, but...if they were sprayed with that stuff, chances are, they probably tried to preen it off their feathers and ended up ingesting some...I dunno, I wouldn't be TOO hopeful. =/

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever the outcome, I'd like to thank you on their behalf for being such a great person and trying everything possible to help them!

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Whatever the outcome, I'd like to thank you on their behalf for being such a great person and trying everything possible to help them!

Since we, humans, have taken over so much of the surface of the planet, we really should all show this responsibility for the animals that share our space. Good on ya!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a wildlife center here on the south side of Dallas that takes in all birds. It's a funny place to visit; they have sparrows, etc., flying around inside the building!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't heard anything on the birds yet, if not by the end of the week there is a # I can call to try and find out.

But I read some disturbing news. There is a possibility the store set up sticky traps which PURPOSELY make the birds get stuck to them until they starve to death or die of stress and/or the cold or heat and then a couple weeks later people collect the dead birds and discard them. Basically to a store birds are pests for there feces, like mice are in houses or food processing warehouses. So they just want to rid the store of them, there are already spikes on the store to deter them but those didnt work good enough I guess.
That could be why store workers saw the birds but didn't do a thing they knew this would happen.

I dont even know if this is what happened, but if it was these birds tore themselves free from the traps and fell to the ground basically. The thought makes me angry.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Disgusting. I certainly hope that isn't the case, but since most pigeons are considered "pests" to a lot of people, I wouldn't be surprised...*grumble*