I sure hope this soup turns out

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby says, "why don't you make something with chicken?" He is on a low cholesterol diet and I am trying to be supportive. So I thought this up and threw it into the crockpot. I already told the in-laws (read neighbors) that we are bringing it over with some garlic bread for dinner tonight but since I have never made anything like it, I hope it turns out. Do you think it sounds good?

I call it "White Soup"

1pkg of frozen broccoli pieces
1 large container of Kitchen Basics Chicken broth (the best ever!!!)
3 cans of Campbells cream of mushroom soup
1pkg of Navy beans (allowed to soak overnight)
2 baking potatoes (cut into small cubes)
1pkg of slices white mushrooms
1 handful of baby carrots chopped finely
2 handfuls of green onions
1 handful of celery (sliced)
3 boneless skinless chicken thights cut into little pieces
1 tbsp of minced garlic
some rosemary
some fennel seed
some black pepper
a little chili pepper
and some Mrs. Dash

I added the beans, broth, cream of mushroom soup, and broccoli to the crockpot. I took the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and garlic and sauteed it in a pan then added the chicken and the seasonings to the pan and cooked on med high until all the juices were were gone and everything was nicely sauteed. I added the mixture to the crockpot and then added the potatoes. It filled the 6qt crockpot so I hope it turns out. I am cooking it on low.

Does it sound good?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5:30 - should I be expecting you? I do have 6qts of soup after all

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

5:30 - should I be expecting you? I do have 6qts of soup after all
Sure - where do you live? I'll bring a salad!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can you make it to Ohio by 5:30?
Uhhh... depends on where in OH? Toledo, yeah.... Cincinnati ... no.
(I'm in the Detroit area.)

JK about showing up...
let us know how the soup turns out. I'm always looking for good recipes.... Maybe I will wait until you get some of that Schwan's Maple Nut ice cream!

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That looks really yummy! Tell me how it turns out, I might just have to steal your idea. I am tired of everything I know how to cook

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Uhhh... depends on where in OH? Toledo, yeah.... Cincinnati ... no.
(I'm in the Detroit area.)

JK about showing up...
let us know how the soup turns out. I'm always looking for good recipes.... Maybe I will wait until you get some of that Schwan's Maple Nut ice cream!
I am near Dayton and even if you were not joking, you are still welcome for dinner

I told hubby that I will be starting to order from Schwann's in the very near future. I don't want them to quit selling the Maple Nut before I get some

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am near Dayton and even if you were not joking, you are still welcome for dinner

I told hubby that I will be starting to order from Schwann's in the very near future. I don't want them to quit selling the Maple Nut before I get some
Oh speeking of that we were at the market last night and Eric was dieing for some ice cream and I saw some Maple Nut it made me think of you

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's sweet!

Who knows... maybe we will take you up on that sometime. Dayton is about 4.5-5 hrs from here. I Mapquested it b/c of the Air Force Museum. BF is big into things that go! Especially planes, trains and ships. Not cars so much. He loved the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo and the Air and Space Museum in Washington.

Oh, and he likes the lake freighters -- we toured one that is moored on the Maumee in Toledo.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

That's sweet!

Who knows... maybe we will take you up on that sometime. Dayton is about 4.5-5 hrs from here. I Mapquested it b/c of the Air Force Museum. BF is big into things that go! Especially planes, trains and ships. Not cars so much. He loved the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo and the Air and Space Museum in Washington.

Oh, and he likes the lake freighters -- we toured one that is moored on the Maumee in Toledo.
The airforce museum is really great! I have been 3 times I think and still haven't seen everything. They even have a special tour of the hangar that houses all of the former Air Force One planes. Including Kennedy's plane. It takes a very full day to go there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fennel seed does seem odd, and the navy beans sound gross (not a fan of them). Other than that, taste it and see. I'm guessing a bit of basil and maybe even some bay leaf could add to the flavor.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the fennel seeds give it almost an Italian sausage flavor. I didn't have any fresh basil on hand to use or I might've tried some of that. Maybe next time