TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I sure hope this soup turns out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I sure hope this soup turns out

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hubby says, "why don't you make something with chicken?" He is on a low cholesterol diet and I am trying to be supportive. So I thought this up and threw it into the crockpot. I already told the in-laws (read neighbors) that we are bringing it over with some garlic bread for dinner tonight but since I have never made anything like it, I hope it turns out. Do you think it sounds good?

I call it "White Soup"

1pkg of frozen broccoli pieces
1 large container of Kitchen Basics Chicken broth (the best ever!!!)
3 cans of Campbells cream of mushroom soup
1pkg of Navy beans (allowed to soak overnight)
2 baking potatoes (cut into small cubes)
1pkg of slices white mushrooms
1 handful of baby carrots chopped finely
2 handfuls of green onions
1 handful of celery (sliced)
3 boneless skinless chicken thights cut into little pieces
1 tbsp of minced garlic
some rosemary
some fennel seed
some black pepper
a little chili pepper
and some Mrs. Dash

I added the beans, broth, cream of mushroom soup, and broccoli to the crockpot. I took the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and garlic and sauteed it in a pan then added the chicken and the seasonings to the pan and cooked on med high until all the juices were were gone and everything was nicely sauteed. I added the mixture to the crockpot and then added the potatoes. It filled the 6qt crockpot so I hope it turns out. I am cooking it on low.

Does it sound good?
post #2 of 15
It sounds yummy . What time is dinner
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
5:30 - should I be expecting you? I do have 6qts of soup after all
post #4 of 15
I'd love too but it is -30C outside I am hibernating. It does sound really good.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
5:30 - should I be expecting you? I do have 6qts of soup after all
Sure - where do you live? I'll bring a salad!!
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Can you make it to Ohio by 5:30?
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
Can you make it to Ohio by 5:30?
Uhhh... depends on where in OH? Toledo, yeah.... Cincinnati ... no. (I'm in the Detroit area.)

JK about showing up... let us know how the soup turns out. I'm always looking for good recipes.... Maybe I will wait until you get some of that Schwan's Maple Nut ice cream!
post #8 of 15
That looks really yummy! Tell me how it turns out, I might just have to steal your idea. I am tired of everything I know how to cook
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Uhhh... depends on where in OH? Toledo, yeah.... Cincinnati ... no. (I'm in the Detroit area.)

JK about showing up... let us know how the soup turns out. I'm always looking for good recipes.... Maybe I will wait until you get some of that Schwan's Maple Nut ice cream!
I am near Dayton and even if you were not joking, you are still welcome for dinner

I told hubby that I will be starting to order from Schwann's in the very near future. I don't want them to quit selling the Maple Nut before I get some
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
I am near Dayton and even if you were not joking, you are still welcome for dinner

I told hubby that I will be starting to order from Schwann's in the very near future. I don't want them to quit selling the Maple Nut before I get some
Oh speeking of that we were at the market last night and Eric was dieing for some ice cream and I saw some Maple Nut it made me think of you
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
I am near Dayton and even if you were not joking, you are still welcome for dinner

I told hubby that I will be starting to order from Schwann's in the very near future. I don't want them to quit selling the Maple Nut before I get some
That's sweet!

Who knows... maybe we will take you up on that sometime. Dayton is about 4.5-5 hrs from here. I Mapquested it b/c of the Air Force Museum. BF is big into things that go! Especially planes, trains and ships. Not cars so much. He loved the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo and the Air and Space Museum in Washington.

Oh, and he likes the lake freighters -- we toured one that is moored on the Maumee in Toledo.
post #12 of 15
The fennel seeds might be odd, but all the rest sounds yummy!! Cant wait to hear how it turns out!
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
That's sweet!

Who knows... maybe we will take you up on that sometime. Dayton is about 4.5-5 hrs from here. I Mapquested it b/c of the Air Force Museum. BF is big into things that go! Especially planes, trains and ships. Not cars so much. He loved the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo and the Air and Space Museum in Washington.

Oh, and he likes the lake freighters -- we toured one that is moored on the Maumee in Toledo.
The airforce museum is really great! I have been 3 times I think and still haven't seen everything. They even have a special tour of the hangar that houses all of the former Air Force One planes. Including Kennedy's plane. It takes a very full day to go there.
post #14 of 15
The fennel seed does seem odd, and the navy beans sound gross (not a fan of them). Other than that, taste it and see. I'm guessing a bit of basil and maybe even some bay leaf could add to the flavor.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Actually the fennel seeds give it almost an Italian sausage flavor. I didn't have any fresh basil on hand to use or I might've tried some of that. Maybe next time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I sure hope this soup turns out