What would you do?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you caught your cat stealing some of your food (such as some of the milk in your cereal bowl), what would you do?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually give my cats some of my food, so if they stole something I'd just keep eating. They are good though and have never just snatched off my plate, they wait for me to give them some..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share.

(Just as long as they keep their tails out of my dinner.)

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1st, i would laugh, then i would continue to eat it.

...just like lthe other nite, i was woken up to a bag rustling, i get up and look, and there's Nipper with his head completly in a bag of cheezitz

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to discourage them from attempting to take my food. Speck doesn't like "people food" except for boiled shrimp, but now with Daisy I have to hold my plate high above my head until she gets distracted. I don't know if anyone else is a fan of The Simpson's, but we are like Bart and Homer fighting over a pork chop!
(Don't worry...she has plenty of her own to eat). I agree with Swampwitch, I don't want to eat after anybody.

ronnycage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ive tried to have them NOT take my food but my girlfriend feeds them whatever they do or dont go after!

so guess I have no choice.

everything tastes better with cat hair anyways lol.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share - but I wouldn't encourage them TAKING food off my plate or my boyfriend's. I did have a shelter kitty help himself to one of my protein cookie bar snacks. He was curious and I let him sniff it.. weellll... he licked it and then bit it... so I gave him the part with the cat spittle on it... and he was happy.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't eat anything my cats have touched. They stand in their litter box and lick themselves I don't want that in my food.

Sometimes I will give them a little piece of whatever I am eating though.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have done a pretty good job of training my cats not to mess with my food until I'm finished. They don't sit on my lap or the table while I'm eating, but once I'm done I'll put the plate on the floor for a few minutes and they can have a bite if they want. I don't care to eat after them though, so if they did jump up and eat out of my plate I would probably put that plate down on the floor and go fix something else.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remove the part they licked/chewed on and eat the rest.
For the most part I don't leave my food unattended, so this isn't a problem. If they try to touch it while I'm eating I'll hiss at them - if that doesn't work, I'll swat at the air near them in a similar fashion to what they do to say "MINE. Back off".
Kitty language works with even the most stubborn of cats so they usually give up the idea of attempting to steal my food before even trying it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally share with my cats. Yesterday I was eating cake with whipped cream topping. I turned around and Gus was licking the fork. I wiped it off with a napkin, and ate it.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If one of the cats takes a bite or a lick while my backs turned I'll still eat it. (The food - not the cat.) Most of the time they don't get a chance at it and if one of them tries then I hiss at them to say 'back off!'

Freya was the worst. Anything good should be shared (in her mind) and she would try to snag a piece off my plate with her paw. I really miss argueing with her over just whose piece of chicken/salmon/pork chop it was.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just cut off the peice that they ate off and continue eating. I let them sniff just about everything I am eating and 9 out of 10 times they don't want it. The only "people food" they really care about is chicken, beff, and Cheerios. Flower knows how to open any cereal box so even if I don't share with her if the box gets left out on the counter she helps her self
It is just better to throw a hadfull in her food dish then come into the kitchen to find an entire box spilled out on the floor

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine don't usually eat human food apart from a few licks of my ice cream, and Sophie loves a nibble on the odd potatoe crisp, but i let them no problem, what's mine is theres as i always say

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one that tries to steal off the plate is Gizmo. He once got his claws in 1/2 a t-bone steak when I wasn't looking. It wouldn't have bothered me except he dropped it on the floor! :bawl: He didn't get to enjoy his spoils though..the dogs saw to that.

Little One has a habit of wanting to drink whatever we're drinking though. Many mornings I've turned around to see her head in my coffee. Ever see a tortie hyped up on caffine?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I needed multiple choice. First I punish the cat then continue eating. They can share with me as long as I invite them. Sneaking up on a plate when I'm not looking is tabu in my house.