What's the worst job you've ever had?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done a lot of jobs in my life. Some where better than others. The worst job I ever had was the two summers I worked at a canning factory. Imagine standing anywhere from 8-16 hours on a conveyor belt, watching green beans go by, and your job is to pick the debris out. Debris mostly consists of twigs, leaves, stones, etc. Sometimes debris was mice...either dead or alive, depending where your conveyor belt was located.
I was put on night shift, so you didn't get to go home until the last truck of beans was done. Sometimes there was no last truck, and you met the day shift coming in. They got to leave after 8 hours. If there were beans coming in on a Sunday, you worked on Sunday. There were weeks at a time where I got no day off.
For this job, I remember earning the princely sum of $3.60/hr.

What was your worst job?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Door to door sales of cheap items like candles, chocolates, calendars..etc..I only did it for one night. I got $1 for each sale...so I made $13. It was TERRIBLE.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had one that bad! I'd not take seeing a dead mouse among food like that very well!

I guess my worst job was Diary Queen back when I was in high school. I don't like ice cream much. To this day the smell of ice cream and deep fryer grease makes me nauseous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I've never had one that bad! I'd not take seeing a dead mouse among food like that very well!

I guess my worst job was Diary Queen back when I was in high school. I don't like ice cream much. To this day the smell of ice cream and deep fryer grease makes me nauseous!
I hear ya...I'm not that fond of canned vegetables.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh... I don't know. I have had a lot of bad jobs, or jobs that were bad for specific reasons... I think my overall worst job was actually when I was a waitress at the Olive Garden. I don't have anything against the food there. Actually, I didn't see them preparing it badly and everything was pretty clean. I just had a horrible experience, and I was often stiffed or left $1.00 for tips on $60 bills. At first I thought I was a terrible waitress, but then I realized that most of the problems weren't my fault, just mismanagement and miscommunication. The managers at that restaurant were verbally abusive on a very high level, and went so far as to make up a large story and a lot of lies so that they could fire me. It's a long story, but it was horrible... Plus it was a hard job, the plates at the Olive Garden are about 3/8 an inch thick and the bottoms of the glasses are almost an inch thick. I was working two jobs at the time, and working my butt off every day. My arms got buff though...

I guess I just have bad memories of the way I was treated by customers, coworkers, and management. Plus that was a really crappy time in my life. I have lots of sympathy for waitstaff now, and I always tip well unless they are really really really really terrible...

spatulahandle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The worst place I ever worked at was a daycare. Now, I had worked at daycares before, but this one was awful and it wasn't the daycare itself, but the staff. The owners were not very friendly people and the staff were a bunch of tattle tales. My first week there, I was told by one of the staff to be careful what I say and do because there were stool pigeons ready to go run to the boss. I quit after two weeks and wrote the owner a letter and told him that his daycare wouldn't last because of the way he treated the staff and the tattle tales. It shut down about six months after I quit.

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^ My worst job was graveyard shift at a DOGGIE daycare. I had no idea what I was getting into when I applied. I thought I'd be sitting around, and reading all night while 6 or so nice, quiet dogs slept.
It was a 15 minute walk from my house, and it was only 2 nights a week, but it was godawful. Some nights you would luck out with 2 quiet, tired dogs, but other nights you'd get 20, and you're there all alone, playing with each one of them on one, coralling them to and from rooms, picking up, and mopping (often "unhealthy") poop (2-3 poops per dog, sometimes 70 poops a night!!). Spraying and hosing things down with bleachy smelling cleaning solutions, setting up 20 50lb metal kennels in a row, preparing each dog's food as specified by the owner (some of them got pretty ridiculous about it, and it literally took an hour for ONE dog's food), vaccuming, sweeping, AND mopping the whole daycare, laundry and dishes EVERY night. Repeat 10 hours later. And then when you're so exhausted that you're about to lose your mind, the person who's supposed to be coming in to replace you is "stuck in traffic" for the EIGHTH time in a row, and they're going to be 2 hours late.
I think I was making 6.33 an hour. Didn't last long.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, two jobs were equally the bad
One I ran a boom loader on a pulpwood truck in the blazing sun and biting mayflies usually dawn till dusk for $25 a day.

The other was detasseling (desexing) corn stalks.
You get on a flatbed trailer withabout 75 other people and get dragged by tractor down row after row of corn stalks and you pull the tassels from the soon to form ears.
Usually 6-7 hours a day for $2.25/hr.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

being the wife of my ex-husband tops any job I ever had

I think the worst job I have ever had was working at a cyber caffee. I got paied under the table so it was only $5 an hour. It was awfull I was the only girl in there EVER. I was pretty much a mother to anywhere from 15-20 kids (all boys) who played too many video games. To top it off my boss was a real jerk. He gave me a really hard time about my school secudal. My last class of the day ended at 10:50 on T/TH and he would scold me becasue I the store opened at 11. Mind you I would get there at 11:30 and he would be sitting at a computer playing a game.... why he couldnt open the store and work for 30min 2 days a week I don't know. He never worked a shift EVER. I asked for my 21st Birthday off and he threw a fit becasue his other 2 workers couldn't work that day either(my b-day is Dec 26). He finally gave it to me and rather then working the store was closed that day. I was also the only female in there EVER. So I would get stared at or hit on all the time. My boss would even hit on me!! I stuck it out for a few months, but my boss finally just pushed me over the edge.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My summer jobs when I was in high school many many years ago, Packing white fish in boxes. they ran up from the boats on conveyor belts. The heads got chopped off and tails and we grabbed them off the belts and packed them in 10 pound boxes. It was wet , smelly and a lot of fish guts!..And long hours standing on my feet. I often worked 12 hour shifts..And I think it was for $1.60 a hour.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had alot of jobs in my time, and nothing really stands out except my second job.

Wendy's

The manager was an a$$ who expected me to listen to the drive-thru speaker AND the walk-up orders at the exact same time and get the order right. They eventually suspended me and I never went back.

The other one was when I worked construction. I didn't do the construction, I cleaned up. That lasted about a month.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the early 70's I tried telemarketing magazines (I still remember the script!). It was awful and I lasted three days.

During high school I worked part time in a nursing home for a while. That was really depressing. There were many residents whose family never came to see them.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the late 60's our neighbors owned a large pick your own strawberry farm.
After the young plants were put in the ground, right when school ended in June we (my sis and I and any neighborhood kids) would use a scissor (and I was left handed) to cut the blossoms and young berries off these plants so they would grow larger. We got paid by the row-either 25 or 35 cents a row and the long rows could take 2 hours!!
We tried to recruit as many kids as possible to help after doing this for a year or two.
This "Job" could take the first couple weeks in June-it sucked royally. I think we were like 12 years old at the time when we started this.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i took this job where you go to concerts and other events and ask people if they would like to put their name in a raffle to win a free car ( the company i worked for did put the names into a drawing for the car but then also used them as a calling list for their telemarketing firm) the pay wasnt bad, it was 6.50 per hour but you actually commision for every slip you got, and i cant remember how much you got but i know it came out to a decent amount. at first i thought o wow this is easy, and we all got to drive to diff places in company vehicles, then one day we had to do the racetrack in the blazing sun, thats when i remembered how sensitive i am to the sun and how sick i get from being out in it for long periods of time. we would all go as a group somewhere to have lunch, so that was my only ride back to where my car was, so at lunchtime i had them take me to my car and said i would meet them after lunch and never went back

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The worst one was cutting, baling, and hauling hay the summer I turned 16. I got 1 cent per bale for cutting, one cent for raking, and two cents per bale for stacking it on the truck, hauling it to the barn, and stacking it there. It wasn't bad pay for the time (1968), but it was central Arkansas in the summer, with chiggers, snakes, dust, and 100 degree heat.

After a summer of that, nothing was ever too bad again. And I guess that was the good thing about that job.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been lucky so far. My worst job is the one I'm in right now, and its simply because of the person I work for, who has far less experience than I do and undermines all of the work I do by going off and doing my work for me without bothering to tell me about it. I spend half of my days fixing the things she breaks for me. I had a job interview on Friday with another group in my company and will probably take it just to escape. I know, bad move (never run away from a job), but my options are limited right now.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my worse was at a sub shop when I was in high school.

They always keep the shop open until 2 A.M. Friday and Saturday nights to catch all the people coming from the bars. I always got stuck working the Saturday shift and hated it because there is nothing more annoying then dealing with drunk people.

I also did a summer as kitchen help at on of the local youth camps. You sure built up character doing that, the kids that attended the camps could be pretty brutal.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By far, Long John Silvers was the worst job I've ever had. Started out fine, just like a normal job, but when it was bought out by the current owner, it went to heck in a hand basket. It was terrible and I dreaded going to work everyday after that...I'd come home crying or calling dh crying telling him how horrible it was, I worked 150 hours in two weeks when we opened the cobranded ljs-kfc and noone even said thank you for your hard work, just said that's your job...
I hate that place.......

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I worked as a housekeeper at the local Holiday Inn for 4 days. It wasn't a job, per se, but more like community service because I had gotten into trouble while I was in high school. Since I was the newbie, I got stuck picking up all the beer cans lying around, emptying the trash, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. On top of being pretty disgusting, it was just simply brutal physically. I was 15 at the time and ran cross-country, but I remember being totally exhausted when I got home every night.