Look at what I scored at PetsMart!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I first saw one of these in a Drs. Foster & Smith catalog. I really wanted one but I gagged on teh $180 (plus shipping). I was in PetsMart, glanced to the left and there it was. For $100 (clearance price)! Still pricey but I can live with $100.

I wanted more vertical space for the beasties but really didn't want to give up for floor space for a conventional tree.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow....that's really cool. Plus it looks like sisal that they can scratch on too! Great find for that price. I might look into one of those. Extra places my cats can climb up are always welcome and one of those would be perfect in my bedroom where all three hang out at night.

Does it seem sturdy? When the cats jump on it does it rattle against the door?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Wow....that's really cool. Plus it looks like sisal that they can scratch on too! Great find for that price. I might look into one of those. Extra places my cats can climb up are always welcome and one of those would be perfect in my bedroom where all three hang out at night.

Mine rattles against the door but I think that is primarily because it is meant to be hung on a standard room door and I have it hung on a bi-fold door. I've added wooden blocks to the hangers to make up for the different in door thickness but that makes it stand off of the door a bit. I'm planning on securing it to the door better so it doesn't move so much. I don't think it would rattle much on a room door.

Edit: I didn't answer one of your questions: It's very sturdy.That probably partly explains the price.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that on skymall, but it is $169 + $20.00 Shipping - yep, you got a deal!
I was wondering if the back is sisal, or other scratching material? What is the weight limit on it?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In your honest option--how easy do you think it would be to make one of these? I'm looking at the assembly pictures on drs foster and smith and I'm thinking my husband could do this for way less than $100

Leslie

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I saw that on skymall, but it is $169 + $20.00 Shipping - yep, you got a deal!
I was wondering if the back is sisal, or other scratching material? What is the weight limit on it?
The back is the sisal rug material. Do you know what I mean?

They don't say anything about a weight limit. But it's pretty stout. I would think it could handle at least up to 15 pounders, probably more.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

In your honest option--how easy do you think it would be to make one of these? I'm looking at the assembly pictures on drs foster and smith and I'm thinking my husband could do this for way less than $100

Leslie
I thought about that as I was putting it together. The floating shelves might be a bit of a challenge. There is a bolt that goes through each of the shelves with each end of the bolt fitting into a routered depression in the back pieces. Finding the bolts, which are like nothing I've ever seen before, and making the routered depressions might be difficult. Then there's finding some way to hang it on the door. He best bet would be to come up with something similar but not exact the same.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby says he can make that--even knows the bolts they use.

We'll see may be a few weeks--but he thinks about $25 will do it. Ours won't be so fancy--boys actually prefer bare wood to carpet.

Leslie

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Originally Posted by mschauer

Mine rattles against the door but I think that is primarily because it is meant to be hung on a standard room door and I have it hung on a bi-fold door.I've added wooden blocks to the hangers to make up for the different in door thickness but that makes it stand off of the door a bit.
UPDATE: I changed how I have mine hanging. I now have it hanging much like it is intended to hang. That is, it is flush against the door rather than standing off the door a bit as I reported above. It still rattles. I even have it secured to the door in the middle and it still rattles. It's not a lot of noise and is fine where I have mine but I suspect it would be annoying in a bedroom at night.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so neat!I want one for my cats!!!
I WISH my husband could make me something like this,but he would start it and never finish!!!lol

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got one when they first arrived( on sale of course) at the petco .... I was not impressed with the hardware so I am using parts for another project

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I got one when they first arrived( on sale of course) at the petco .... I was not impressed with the hardware so I am using parts for another project
I guess that is a matter of opinion. While putting it together I remember being quite impressed with the hardware! It's all very sturdy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I guess that is a matter of opinion. While putting it together I remember being quite impressed with the hardware! It's all very sturdy.
SO so true ...
... FYI according to the box I got it claims to hold up to 45 lbs