Eating is now a chore...

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I not have no top teeth as of Friday (yesterday). The day of I forced myself to eat (pull off small bits and swallow whole) food that hubby bought me at lunch time. I tried to eat corn last time and could not chew that. This morning I could not eat eggs and the same goes for lunch (cheesy noodles). While I am 100% glad to have those teeth out and i know in a few weeks I will have my dentures, I never really thought eating would be this hard. I am miserable and hungry and terrified of eating right now.

Anyone else that has been through this can give me helpful tips or just words of encouragement. No one in my family has been able to help because when they got their teeth out they got dentures the same day.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What my mom did when she got her teeth pulled was eat alot of applesauce, yogurt, soup and those protein/meal replacement shakes for the first few days. She said her gums were sooooo sensitive, she couldn't let anything touch them for about a week, then she was ok with scrambled eggs, well done pasta and the like.

I would definately recommend getting the meal replacement shakes so that you aren't shorting yourself on vitamins and your body can keep healing better.

Hope this helped some.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been through it (I expect to in the next few years though) but a good friend of ours had all his teeth pulled last year. He basically lived on soup for a few weeks until his gums healed. If you just got them pulled yesterday, they are probably still very sensitive. I had 5 teeth pulled on one side at one time but they were all in the back. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have my front teeth.

You need to give your gums time to heal, then you will be surprise what you can grind with your gums.

Go make yourself some soup. You need to eat. Something like chicken noodle or rice soup can go down without being chewed.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt this is helpful, but my father has never learned to eat with his dentures in, he takes them out to eat. And he eats stuff like burgers and that, so I guess it can be done.

Maybe if you get some of the liquid diet stuff so you're at least getting the vitamins and whatnot that you need, that would help.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been in the exact same situation, but up until I turned 19, I had teeth pulled regularly... 16 plus the four wisdom teeth. Including the wisdom teeth, most of them were adult teeth (I had a crowded mouth). Every time I got teeth pulled, we would stop at the store on the way home and buy Ensure Chocolate Shakes. I lived on those things for a few days while my gums healed. They come highly recommended here... I survived drinking them as a kid... they weren't too bad.

Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gums are not sensitive and really I am not in pain. My bottom teeth on that side get a little achey from the pressure and what not from yesterday. The biggest issue is that the only bottom molars I have are on the side that I had the last teeth pulled from. I might try some soup tonight.

I was hoping to wait till March to get my dentures (a break from school) but I see it will it will have to be sooner.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have blender or food processor? When my Mom had hers removed she would puree her meat and vegetables so she could eat. You could also try baby foods.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought they put the dentures in fairly quick after the teeth are removed(That sounds like it would hurt worse!). Then they put in temp liners then permanant. Somebody I know just had all his teeth pulled and he had his new teeth in fast. I don't think my teeth are going to make it very much longer. It's getting to the point it would be more cost effective for me to have them pulled and get dentures. I have 2 bottom teeth that are killing me right now.....

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I doubt this is helpful, but my father has never learned to eat with his dentures in, he takes them out to eat. And he eats stuff like burgers and that, so I guess it can be done.
My Nana does this too. She says that her gums have really hardened up.

I have only had 2 or 3 teeth out at once for a few years (I'm special I was born with lots of extra teeth
) and I always get HUGE cravings for corn chips!

Soup sounds like a good idea. You can put heaps of nutrients into that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That depends on who and where you get them done at. Someone else paid to have the teeth removed and we decided to do only so many in each sitting. I will pay for the dentures myself and the dentist that pulled my teeth is too expensive for the dentures.

Now if you go to some place like Affordable Dentures or something you can get it all done in one day.

Originally Posted by abbycats

I thought they put the dentures in fairly quick after the teeth are removed(That sounds like it would hurt worse!). Then they put in temp liners then permanant. Somebody I know just had all his teeth pulled and he had his new teeth in fast. I don't think my teeth are going to make it very much longer. It's getting to the point it would be more cost effective for me to have them pulled and get dentures. I have 2 bottom teeth that are killing me right now.....

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, man, you have my sympathy. My dad just went through this and he wasn't happy. He's spent thousands of dollars over the last few years trying to salvage his remaining teeth, but it was all for naught. For the last year or so even his dentist was telling him, "Max, I appreciate all the cars you've helped me pay for, but you're just buying time." He finally had his last 3 teeth pulled on top and dentures fitted on the same day. He was told that he needed to wear them constantly while his gums were healing or they wouldn't fit right. I know it was painful because he was popping the pain meds like candy. He ate mostly soup and things like that that he could just slurp down for about 3 weeks until the gums healed enough to chew.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My best friend growing up had jaw surgery and her jaw was wired shut for a few weeks. She was on a dite of shakes and soup. She ate most of her food through a straw.

I think the best thing you can do, like others said, is to get some shakes. Maybe even some softer foods like yogurt? It is protein, cilcium, and yummy. Yoplait makes some with fiber in it as well.

I hope you feel better soon! Maybe even eat some ice cream?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I had mine pulled I had the meal replacement shakes, pudding, cream of wheat, and ice cream. It did get old but I didn't want to try eating any regular food. With the hot ceral and meal replacement shakes I was getting the vitamins and iron I was supposed to be getting. The first real meal I had after having them pulled was spaghetti with meat sauce. That was what I developed a craving for when I wasn't eating real food.