Cat Voice Differences

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not new to this but I find the difference in the sounds some cats make to be interesting.

This indludes our three;

Taz, 10 years old; A neutered ginger tabby tom.

Morgan (Morgan Taylor Cat) 9 years old, black and white DSH female

Kasey our most recent cat, brought home in May 2008, she is an 8 to 10 year old DSH torti that I rescued from one of our company's sites.

Taz and Morgan both do the "classic kitty meow" like they like to portray in cat food commercials etc. Taz will sometimes make a sound like a small kitten and he is 20 pounds (not fat, almost the size of a Maine Coon).

Kasey is quite different; her voucabulary consists of "maa", squeeks and noises that don'r sound like they come from this world. When she is alone in onother room and wants attention, she produces a whole chorus of odd sounds.

A couple weeks ago, she was in another room and started up a chorus that sounded like two Siamese Cats fighting. I though she was having an altercation with one of the others but she was alone, just lonely.

There appears to be no shortage of variety or individuality in cat voices.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very true... I read somewhere that cats can make something like 100 different types of sounds...

And meows are distinctive - from Siamese almost-growling and raspy... to little tiny squeaks ... the funniest is when a big tom opens his mouth and a little girly eep-eep comes out!!!

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My eldest Keylah sounds like a bird when she meows or cries, my dad used to say, it's because when she was a tiny baby, that all she heard were the birds outside the window when I used to go to school and had to lock her in the bathroom (too small to go outside, and she was my first and only at the time)

One of my youngest Kaemaerra is usually a very quiet cat. However, put her on her own, separate her from her litter mates Kaidaia & Sianne, and all hell breaks loose. She hates being alone, she will cry constantly and we're talking a high pitch yowling, she just can't tolerate being alone away from the others, put them back and she's fine.

I have 20+ cats, and people think I'm strange on the fact that I can remember their names, but at the same time as remembering their names, birth orders, birth dates, vaccinations ect and other details, I can also distinguish their voices when they cry, as they each have a distinctive cry, even the ones who don't cry often, they can still make a lot of noise, expecially when talking to each other lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

the funniest is when a big tom opens his mouth and a little girly eep-eep comes out!!!
That would be our Taz, 20 pounds, large, heavy muscled. ginger tabby. neutered. indoor. tom.

If someone had their back to him and he let out one of his "tiny voice" squeeks, the person would turn around and think, "where did the kitten go?, all I see is a big tom"

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my kitty's meows. I'm starting to learn what all the different ones mean (she's a very quiet kitty).

She has her "hello" meow when I've been out for a couple of hours or I've just woken up, she has her "yay meal time!" meow when I'm putting her plate down, she has her "I'm chasing bugs" meow, her "I can see stuff fluttering above the skylight but I can't get to it" meow, and her super crazy scary meow when she's running around like a nutter that has sometimes resulted in me shutting her out of my bedroom because it's THAT scary.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three of my cats have odd meows which I just adore

Scratchez my 8 month old boy have this girly squeak. I've never heard him do an actual meow. He only squeaks.

Aura my almost 2 year old girl does the very short meow almost like a meep.

And Jack my 4 month old kitten has this meow that make me think of a grouchy old man. It's deeper and raspy and its curt like he's saying "Damn kids get off my lawn"

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Claydust

That would be our Taz, 20 pounds, large, heavy muscled. ginger tabby. neutered. indoor. tom.

If someone had their back to him and he let out one of his "tiny voice" squeeks, the person would turn around and think, "where did the kitten go?, all I see is a big tom"
Awww!!
I would scoop him up and give him a biiiiig squuueeeze! (If he'd let me!)

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Awww!!
I would scoop him up and give him a biiiiig squuueeeze! (If he'd let me!)
Let you????, He expects and likes it

He is the classic "gentle giant".

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky is my talker! She has soooo many different mews! The one I like the most is this one that sound as though she was saying "hi"... It is the cutest one....
Than there is the one when she comes to bed, to let me know she has arrived... This long meeeeoooowww, sticking her head out and blinking at me... cutest thing ever - it is like here i am meoooooowmy!
Than there is the stressed out cry on the way to the vet - she sounds like an owl

Bugsy only cries - so if he moews, I know that there is something wrong with him. He is VERY loud though... And he does have the owl meows as well, when he is very stressed out...

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cat sounds... how long does it take for a kitten to develop her full voice?

Mine almost never talks to me....

My 9 pound sofa lion back in the States speaks in 'squeaks', 'eeps' and 'eeks'. The 'm' sound is not in her vocabulary, or so it seems... so we call her 'Squeaky kitty' most of the time even though her name is Midori.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane will sometimes let out this sound like he's in agony. I check and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him.

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

how long does it take for a kitten to develop her full voice?
I think it varies and some just don't say much.

Our first cats, now gone (both lived to be 14), but still missed were;

Molly; a female DSH silver tabby

Mitzi; a female DHS torti/tabby

Molly was quite vocal from when we brought here home at 8 to 10 weeks of age.

Mitzi, on the other hand, was quiet and we thought she was mute. Her only sounds were a very quiet pur and aa occassional funny, low "breee" when playing.

When she was close to a year old, whe had to board them for a week. On the way over to the boarder, they were each in their own carrier. We heard an "adult" meow and realized it did not come from Molly's carrier.

After that experience, she meowed more at home but it was not as loud or frequent as some cats.

This had nothing to do with her temprement, she was very social and placid.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sabastian is 14 and FAT! his meows are adorable, its like he will open his mouth to meow and little quiet half a meow come out, its like only the "ow" comes out lol. once in a while tho he will do this howling type meow, i have no idea why?????

Princess is 7mos old- since i had her i think i heard 3 mews, and its a little, tiny, squeaky quiet "mew"

Nipper- 3yrs old- hes the loud mouth around here. his meows are gigantic loud they go something like this "ROOOOWWW"!! the most hilarious thing is when he does it, sometimes BF has to yell at him for playing to rough with sabastian, and after mark yells, Nipper will run downstairs and all you can hear coming from downstairs is: ROOOOW!!!ROOOOOW!!!!ROOOOWW!!!

rick68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoe just makes a brrrrr sound, like the suprised kitty sound in place of meowing. Every now and then she gives me a soft eew.

Miles has a variety, most of the time a normal meow, but when he's hungry just a loud ooowww. He makes a weird eh like sound along with chittering at bugs. He also meeps when disturbed laying under my bedspread. And then a yowl and various other bizarre sounds when playing with his mouse toy at night.

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first cat Molly (who died in November and left a huge hole in our hearts!) said nothing but "eh" for the first 6 months, then the evening she came home after being spayed she started to make miaow type sounds! We wonder if she heard other cats in the vets that day or something, as she had never made these sounds before!

Our new kittens Tiger and Maggie have loads of noises, clicking, miaowing, trilling, they chat away to each other all the time, it's really sweet

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boys definitely have different voices. When they are just ‘talkingâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] to you Spooky makes a “Mâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]row†sound and Mulder just “Mewâ€s. But they also each have different sounds they make for being hungry, scared, lonely, annoyed, playful, etc. I can tell them apart by their voices, and I can usually tell what they want by how they sound.