Good food in E. Europe??

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I am now in Prague, I'm trying to find some good (read: no by-products) food for Whisky before he comes over. As I don't read Czech, I was wondering if anyone out there that is familiar with catfood in Eastern Europe can help me with brands? PetCenter seems to be the biggest petfood store in Prague.

I'm just looking for something that will be good for him as he hasn't eaten by-products for over 5 years.

thanks!

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi !
In Greece they sell a Czech brand called Brit, they are considered premium, I've never tried it, here is their link

http://www.brit-petfood.com

INGREDIENTS:
chicken meat and product of chicken origin (min. 30 %), poultry fat, fish oil, rice, corn gluten, wheat, brewer´s yeast, beet pulp, products of vegetable origin, sunflower´s oil, minerals, DL-methionine, L-lysine, copper sulphate pentahydrate, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, taurine.

I do not know what would they mean with product of chicken origin.. maybe somebody else knows...

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to a butcher? Now may be the time to go raw, or at least home cooked.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The only decent food I ever see in Hungary is Royal Canin dry. You could order from here: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats

Almo Nature \t
Applaws \t
Cosma \t
Cosma THAI ..
Porta 21
and Schesir \t
are without by-products.

Bozita contains animal by-products (organ meat).

They'll ship to the Czech Repubic for GBP 3.90 (€4.14), with free shipping for orders over GBP 39.

You might be able to get one or more of those brands in a city as big as Prague.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

Do you have access to a butcher? Now may be the time to go raw, or at least home cooked.
That's what I would say. I've lived in Bulgaria before, and the choices for cat food were very limited. That was 10 years ago though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had him on Nature's Variety Raw for about 8 months when he had a real bad vomiting episode and wouldn't touch it again. I might try the home cooked idea and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by FuzMugly

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too bad my Mom & my G-ma are out of town for a month. My G-ma was born in what is now the Slovak Republic & I could probably find out some basic words for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, he's not here for a another 2 weeks so whenever she gets back, that would be great!

Originally Posted by Rang_27

It's too bad my Mom & my G-ma are out of town for a month. My G-ma was born in what is now the Slovak Republic & I could probably find out some basic words for you.

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other possibility might be to try to find a natural food grocery store and see if they have a cat food section. I don't know any brands, though I think that would be one place I would try looking -- that's based on experience living in Germany, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some "cultural spillover" with regard to natural food stores.

Good luck & enjoy Prague!