If your cell phone fell in the toilet, what would you do?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, this has not happened to me, but I'm sure this has happened plenty of times.

If it were at home, and it was "before", then I'd fish it out and try to save it. If it were "after", I'd figure some way to get it out, and toss it.

If it were a public toilet, I'd walk away, regardless. I might borrow someone's phone and try calling it just to see what would happen though!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

No, this has not happened to me, but I'm sure this has happened plenty of times.

If it were at home, and it was "before", then I'd fish it out and try to save it. If it were "after", I'd figure some way to get it out, and toss it.

If it were a public toilet, I'd walk away, regardless. I might borrow someone's phone and try calling it just to see what would happen though!
I've lost two to the toilet monster! One at home, before, and one in a public restroom... I took both of them, wiped off and disinfected with sanitizing spray... I dried both of them with hot air, but neither of them worked properly afterwords...
It sucked! With the second one I lost all my contacts and calendar; which thought me a lesson - sync my phone at least 1x week!

spatulahandle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never lost a phone in a toilet, but my husband did once. He was helping my son go potty, bent over to put him on the potty and his phone fell out of his shirt pocket into the toilet. The water was clean so he fished it out, but the phone died. We laughed about it for a long time.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would cry and then make Eric get it out for me
I pay $5 a month extra to insure my phone so it wouldnt be a huge deal to me if it broke. I was famous for running over my phone with my car so...

My friends step-dad droped his in the toilet took it out and put it in the oven to dry it out and was ticked off that it didnt work afterword
men!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
never had that happen. But we did have a friend drop hers in the water bucket at work. The best thing to do if this were to happen is turn the phone off, remove the battery and anything else you can (face plates cases etc.) and let the phone dry for at least 48 hours without even thinking about turning it on.
She left hers to dry for like 3 days and it turned out fine. Not wonderful but no major issues.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't carry my cell phone around, it just stays in my purse. I have dropped my cordless phone in the bathtub before. It died. I've dropped my work pager in the bath tub several times. I just return it to the switchboard at work if it doesn't work, and they replace it. I'd probably dunk it in a bleach bath and return it to the switchboard if it fell into the toilet....I don't think I could carry it around after that!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yucks. I would probably fish it out, unless it was making friends with poops.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
never done that - my cell is either in its holder [at home] or in my right pants pocket. it's pretty secure there - rarely [if ever] falls out.
but it probably wouldn't work right afterwards - so i'd probably fish it out [in case the sim card was still usable!] & clean it off & take it w/me when i went for a new phone.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

If it were "after", I'd figure some way to get it out, and toss it.
I would simply flush the toilet and retrieve it. I don't believe the weight of even the smallest of cell phones could be flushed, especially in cities like where I live that have a code for low level toilets (they use less water). And yes, it has happened to me.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine stays in my purse. I don't understand the need to have a cell phone in the bathroom. It's just really weird to go into the bathroom and hear someone talking from the next stall....

Her: "hey...what's up?"

Me: "ummmmm...nothing....?"

Her: "just wondering what you are doing tonight"

Me: "ummmmm....nothing...? Who ARE you?"

Her: "Ok, sounds cool. I'll call you when I'm off work. I'm just taking a pee break right now."

I think they should be outlawed in bathrooms, not only because they confuse simple, technology challenged people like me
but it's just plain rude.

But, if I would happen to lose my cell phone in a toilet, I would fish it out and clean it to the best of my ability.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's happened to me before, twice. Once I turned around to flush whilst talking on the phone and it fell in. The other time it was in my back pants pocket and fell in. Both times I fished it out, burried it in a bowl of rice [dried, obviously] overnight to draw the moisture out and the phone worked fine after that. Well, once I had a psychedelic screen for a few weeks, but that eventually fixed itself, too.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hasn't happened yet!! Phone is almost 4 yrs old too.
I've read about the rice trick and its supposed to work ok.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That happens all the time at school, and we've grown used to shrieks from the lavatories. People fish them out, and let them dry for a couple of days.

A student's father dropped his in the toilet at home, and put it in the microwave to dry! Needless to say, it was bye-bye phone and microwave.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did this in my own toilet! I had it in my pocket, and plop, it fell right in
I fished it out, wiped it down with antibacterial wipes. Then, I took it into the store to tell them it was broken, that I thought I may have gotten it wet

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

A student's father dropped his in the toilet at home, and put it in the microwave to dry! Needless to say, it was bye-bye phone and microwave.
This is a good story.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Mine stays in my purse. I don't understand the need to have a cell phone in the bathroom. It's just really weird to go into the bathroom and hear someone talking from the next stall....

Her: "hey...what's up?"

Me: "ummmmm...nothing....?"

Her: "just wondering what you are doing tonight"

Me: "ummmmm....nothing...? Who ARE you?"

Her: "Ok, sounds cool. I'll call you when I'm off work. I'm just taking a pee break right now."

I think they should be outlawed in bathrooms, not only because they confuse simple, technology challenged people like me
but it's just plain rude.

But, if I would happen to lose my cell phone in a toilet, I would fish it out and clean it to the best of my ability.
I hate that!

I would fish it out. It happened to my cordless phone but it hasn't recovered after that traumatic experience!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would fish it out and saturate it with rubbing alcohol partly to sanitize it but I also heard (I forget where) that the alcohol can help drive out some of the water. Then I would put it in a bowl of rice.

I don't put my phone in my shirt pocket any more. It has fallen out and conked Marcie on the head more than once when I have bent down to pet her