FeLV Vaccination? Advice please!

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I get a FeLV vaccination for my adult female cat?

She's completely indoors now, but I'm planning to build her an outdoor enclosure so she can go out sometimes. I know that there are at least 3 other cats (and maybe some baby cats) in my area, some of which are strays and none of which are vaccinated (I'm pretty sure).

She has had a FeLV vaccination before on the advice of the my old vet. She was about 8 months old when she got it, she's 3.5 now. Since she's been indoors only I didn't want to risk a site sarcoma unnecessarily, so I didn't have her re-vaccinated for it. However, now that she will be "outside" I wonder if she will need to be vaccinated against it.

Thanks!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not get my cat that shot and never will again.
Its even on the breeders contract not to give it to her.
None of my cats get that shot anymore.
I lost a cat because of that shot.
What part of california are you in?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I discussed it with my vet yesterday, and she said if the kitties are only indoors, I wouldn't need to worry about it. I also take them outside on a leash - she said as loing as they do not have contact with other cats, they will be fine. She said this vaccine has one of the highest incidences of cancer, and that is why people are getting away from it. Apparently they developped a new one, which is a transdermal one, that is safe - it goes very superficially under tha skin, shot bu an air gun...
It sounds like the way we get yellow fever vacs in Brasil - that hurts like a MFr!
Does anyone have experience with that vaccine?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tested my cats for FELV (when breeding) but never gave them the shot - this is when it first came out.

Many breeders have had bad experiences with the shots but do test their breeding cats from time to time.

Charlie's breeder (who is a vet) told us to NEVER give the FELV or FIP shots - he doesn't like them and has a lot of problems with them. In fact the contract stated that all health guarantees are void if the FELV shot is ever given.

Jack's breeder tests for FELV but doesn't give the shots either.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Confirm this with your vet, of course, but it doesn't sound as if the FeLV virus is usually transmitted under the conditions you describe. If your cat is in an outdoor enclosure, then sure, other cats may come over to say hello, but it doesn't sound as if they'd be able to bite your cat or engage in mutual grooming with her (?).

I'm sure others have referenced this site before; there is a lot of good information here:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I do not get my cat that shot and never will again.
Its even on the breeders contract not to give it to her.
None of my cats get that shot anymore.
I lost a cat because of that shot.
What part of california are you in?
I'm in Sacramento.

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like the answer is a definite no!
I'll check with the vet, but it seems from your replies and the website given that it's not necessary as long as she's not in danger of getting bitten or mutually grooming with another cat.

I'll make sure to get small-holed wire for the enclosure. No hands or tongue shall pass!

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am in Modesto and picked my new kitten up in Sacramento.
New kitten? Did you go to the adoption day today?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I got her from a breeder in North Carolina and she was shipped to Sacramento.
I got her Dec 10th.
She is my first pure bred cat and is a sphynx.
They had adoptions at the state fair last year.
Did you go to the state fair?

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is late, but...

No, I got my cat several years back when I lived in Stockton. My nephew got her on the way home from school from another kid who's cat had kittens. We were surprised when he came home with a 4 month old kitten!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They hada lot of catsfor adoption at the Asparagus Festival before in Stockton.
I can not believe the were out in that heat.
I have seen them at other festivals also.