Pilling

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel sooo smart!!

Sebastian has been giving me a hard time twice a day for the last couple of months.

Right now he is taking two pills in morning, then liquid amoxicillian.
One pill at night with more amoxicillian. So, three pills a day with a royal battle each time
It is so stressful for both of us.

All the suggestions the vet had needed two people. Its just me and kits here. Daphne won't help. She just watches and worries

Tonight I decided to try something new. I got his Petromalt and slathered it on the prednisolone. It worked!! He just crunched once (oh well) then kept licking. Down went the pill
Whew! Hopefully this will work on the Sam_E although its a slightly larger pill.

BTW, he caught on to the pill pockets after two days. Anyone need two new packets of pill pockets?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried to use other treats instead of the pill pockets? Like the purina whisker lickins' tender moment? you can use them just like a pill pocket - they are soft enough to mold, but kitties really like them... My babies won't eat pill pocket at all...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

have you tried to use other treats instead of the pill pockets? Like the purina whisker lickins' tender moment? you can use them just like a pill pocket - they are soft enough to mold, but kitties really like them... My babies won't eat pill pocket at all...
I have those treats next to me! I didn't think about molding those. They are the only treat Daphne with touch.

I'll try this in the morning - thank you

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the easier way i found to give meds to lucky - for pills molding them, and for capsules opening the capsule, crumbling the treats, mixing them up and molding little balls out of it - she loves it! Hasn't noticed it was a trick!

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we use pill poppers here.........followed by a syrange of water, works for us

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fluffee

we use pill poppers here.........followed by a syrange of water, works for us
But that is for two people giving the pill, right? I just don't have enough hands to do all that and control him - all at the same time.

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My rescue torti Kasey is given 1/2 a Dr. Maggie's Joint Formula pill at breakfast and dinner time.

The pill gets wrapped in a very small bit of Velveeta cheese.

I will stress that this is the only "peole" food that any our cats get and it is a miniscule amount. However, the pill goes away like magic, she waits and reminds me in the moring and evening that it is pill time.

I had to come up with something because this will be a lifetime thing. She takes these due to an injury to her left, rear leg at her previous location, one too many kicks, most likely
She is impooving though.

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nope, my husband does the meds with them.

He finds that he "lays" on them(leaning over the bed with the pill in the syringe) talking to them the entire time. He makes them ope the mouth by rubbing thier throat. If you cat is like our Daisy..about half wild.. then it is very hard. But most of the time they take it he gives them a some water.....and will then give him a look as he keeps on petting them. They never get angry with him. lol

With 8 we have to watch for the fights. A cat bite/scratch can become infected very quickly.

good luck

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He did "catch on" to the pill pockets...he may also catch on to the Petromalt.

This may help.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woohoo! The pill smushed in some tender moments Whisker Lickins has been working for almost a week. He has no idea, just scarfs it up

The cheese may work, too. He loves cheese. I'll try that next if he decides he doesn't want these treats.

Thanks bunches

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Woohoo! The pill smushed in some tender moments Whisker Lickins has been working for almost a week. He has no idea, just scarfs it up

The cheese may work, too. He loves cheese. I'll try that next if he decides he doesn't want these treats.

Thanks bunches
I am so glad that worked!!! It's the only way I can pill Lucky without any stress... I will count on it for Bugsy - he is impossible to give a pill! I hope the boy never gets sick

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, pilling Trout was the worst experience I have had with her. She is impossible to pill...I need to have another person help me to do it.
I pray I never have to pill her again.

I'm glad you found a good way!