New food, refusing old food, now throwing up and sneezing

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is complicated, and I'm really confused about what to do!! As some of you may have read in a previous post, I got a new 8mo kitten almost 2 weeks ago. He came home with a bag of science diet kitten formula and my 8yo cat, Bodhi, started eating it and refused to eat his own food (Blue Spa Mature). Bodhi has NEVER had a hairball or thrown up since I brought him home last October. He is a Maine Coon and has long fur and I brush it 1-2 times weekly. That hasn't changed. However, in the past 2 days, Bodhi has thrown up twice. The first time, he scarfed down some meow mix wet food and then raced to the kitten's room to eat some of his SD. A few minutes later, it all came back up along with a little hairball and some mucousy clear fluid. This morning, I noticed a small pile of what looked like vomited SD food globbed up on the carpet.

I finally got paid today and have some money to go buy some all life stages cat food to try with the kitties. First, do you think Bodhi just ate too much and got sick or is this a sign that he might be allergic to some ingredient in the SD food? Second, the mucousy clear fluid in his first vomit kinda worries me. Is that normal?

Thanks a bunch
Candace (along with Bodhi and Siddha)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If the food looks like it's still pretty much whole, he probably just ate too fast and regurgitated it (not the same thing as vomiting). Allergies usually don't cause immediate vomiting, but show up in other ways. Is he still peeing and pooping normally? Is his activity level the same as it was? Is there anything else that has changed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Is he still peeing and pooping normally? Is his activity level the same as it was? Is there anything else that has changed?
Thanks for the info... I feel a little better now.
Yes, he is still using the litter box like normal, energy level has remained constant (if anything, he has more energy and plays more now). Nothing else has changed except his new friend.

I actually went ahead and decided on Solid Gold Katz-en-Flocken (sp?) to feed both kitties. I mixed a little in with the SD kitten a bit ago, and they both cleaned their bowls.
Maybe there is some hope!

Thanks a lot...
Candace