Jake just tried to mate with my sock!! Is that normal??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am freaked out. He usually always takes my socks and carries them around when they are balled up but this time he was carrying the front of my sock in his teeth and the rest of the sock was being dragged under him. Then I noticed he was hunched and looked like he was pooping or peeing and I was like omg he will poop on my bed. But when I lifted him up I saw his penis out
Is this normal?? I had never heard of cats trying to hump things...only puppies...
He is only 13 weeks old, does that mean that he will start spraying now? Is it possible that he hasn't reached sexual maturity yet, that the sock just happened to rub against his penis while he was carrying it and he instinctively tried to mate with it because of the contact??? I hope he hasn't reached sexual maturity because that will not be good, the vet said he is neutering him in another 3 weeks....I put the sock on the floor because I didn't want him doing that on my bed but he keeps carrying it on my bed again..And purring while he humps it..I am so freaked out...
Sorry about the graphic post...

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is he kneading and sucking it at the same time? If he is then he is doing what mine does its like a throw back to when they were feeding from their Mama getting the moms milk. It might look kind of like what you say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No he holds it in his mouth and sort of looks straight ahead, it looks like he is holding a female cat by the scruff...He purred while doing it once and then didn't when he did a few other times...I'm not sure if the purring was caused by the sock humping lol.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not really humping the way a dog would. He doesn't really move his body that much, he is just slightly hunched, and his muscles sort of tremble in a humping fashion..lol sorry i'm bad at describing things..

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean the way he holds it in his mouth?? Because I thought I mentioned that he is standing slightly hunched...
I'm not really sure if it's the same...I dunno though it has to be of sexual nature if he had an erection, right??

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for making me laugh. I was just crying five minutes okay b/c I miss my cat, but your post made me laugh soooo hard!!! O man! I think you're great at descriptions. My cat used to bite down on the blanket and knead at it, and for some reason his private part would emerge during this play period, but he was neutered and he didn't actually move his thighs or anything. All movement was in the mouth and front paws. It creeped me out the first time, but the behavior was not harmful to him and I didn't care about the blanket he kneaded at so I never stopped him. He also preferred to sit very close to me or on me while he behaved in this manner so I hope it was not in anyway sexual :-/ I was told it was a comfort thing and that it is what kittens do to the mom. He also used to knead at my knee and hand.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Depending on the way he is positioned it could sometimes look like he's hunched. No, with Wheezer its not sexual in nature. But yours is a little kitty yet, I wouldn't think at 3 months there is anything, but I don't know, someone may know better.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EkEkEkEk07

Thank you for making me laugh. I was just crying five minutes okay b/c I miss my cat, but your post made me laugh soooo hard!!! O man! I think you're great at descriptions. My cat used to bite down on the blanket and knead at it, and for some reason his private part would emerge during this play period, but he was neutered and he didn't actually move his thighs or anything. All movement was in the mouth and front paws. It creeped me out the first time, but the behavior was not harmful to him and I didn't care about the blanket he kneaded at so I never stopped him. He also preferred to sit very close to me or on me while he behaved in this manner so I hope it was not in anyway sexual :-/ I was told it was a comfort thing and that it is what kittens do to the mom. He also used to knead at my knee and hand.
Aww, I'm glad Jake's craziness made you laugh...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it sounds like he honestly is old enough to neuter. He could just be getting his "kitty hormones" earlier. What you describe happens for two reasons, dominance, and urge to mate.
This doesn't necessarily mean he will start spraying - you should be safe from that for another 3 weeks.

I currently have an adult cat, that was neutered Dec. 30th. He was already a couple of years old but he does not spray. He does however still have some urges...
This should crack people up - A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on the couch trying to watch a movie. Sherman (new cat) likes to cuddle up when DH or I are on the couch, so he was snuggled up next to me. All of a sudden his body posture changes and he let out a loud "brrroow". He had that "look" in his eyes and I instantly knew what was on his mind. He tried to climb on me so he could grab a hold of my arm - I quickly shoved a toss pillow his way to deter him. Poor pillow...
A couple hours later he starts up again, this time he's after ME again - to the point that he would chase me around the house while making those amorous brrroows. Comical really, but he had to settle for he pillow.
In his case, his kitty hormones will settle down and are starting to already.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL great thread, I needed a lol. One of my cats I had in the 80s and 90s would do that to our female cats leg. The look on his face always made me laugh. The look on her face too for that matter.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a cat who was a constant humper. Here's the position he'd assume:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Well, it sounds like he honestly is old enough to neuter. He could just be getting his "kitty hormones" earlier. What you describe happens for two reasons, dominance, and urge to mate.
A third reason might be accidental stimulation. He was carrying the sock in his mouth, the rest of the sock trailed back, and the little connections in his brain took over.

But yes, time to neuter!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I used to have a cat who was a constant humper. Here's the position he'd assume:
Yup that's what Jake does!!! Position seems exactly the same...Was he neutered?
I am going to ask the vet to neuter Jake next week..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Yup that's what Jake does!!! Position seems exactly the same...Was he neutered?
I am going to ask the vet to neuter Jake next week..
Hey, ever played doctor when you were a kid??? Same there for the kitty!
He is perfectly normal.... however I do agree.... get him neutered.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was neutered...and I hate to say it.....He sprayed his ENTIRE life.

Hope you have better luck---get him neutered ASAP!!!!

C

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is freaking hysterical!!!! I love it!

I think Jake might be ready to see a vet...

One of my cats does the hump the pillow thing too. His pillow is faux fur. Even the other cats look at him in disgust when he does it. We don't touch the pillow without gloves. I should mention that not only is Hemmy desexed, he also had to have his penis amputated due to extreme UTI's.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I should mention that not only is Hemmy desexed, he also had to have his penis amputated due to extreme UTI's.
OUCH!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

A third reason might be accidental stimulation. He was carrying the sock in his mouth, the rest of the sock trailed back, and the little connections in his brain took over.

But yes, time to neuter!
I was thinking of that too...My vet said he normally neuters at 4 months, but I doubt he will mind doing it earlier...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no...I just caught him doing it on my blanket, without holding anything in his mouth..I am worried and glad there is no discharge...he was purring again