It's now official our house is haunted!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be honest I have always been a firm believer in ghosts.

When we moved into our rental house, immediately little things started to happened. We tried to link them to the house just being old but as time has progressed we have come to believe that the house really is haunted.

Last Saturday I was home alone and sitting at the computer, I had closed my bedroom door (which I can see from the computer) when I got home--a bit later I heard the door push open with force. I assumed it was Harley because he'll head butt the door with all his weight--however when I looked up Harley was asleep on the floor as was Jack. Which means the door did that without cat help.

But what happened early this morning takes the cake. I was asleep in bed and I awoke to a loud squealing humming noise--I'll be honest it sounded like a train squealing down the tracks (we have tracks right in the backyard) but it was much louder and closer. Hubby awoke and heard it too. He jumped out of bed went into the hall, and realized what it was. He threw open the 2nd bedroom door and the treadmill was running full blast. He hurried to unplug it and ran back to our room shaking terribly. The treadmill was running full blast without the key in and not on--for it to actually move when the key is on you have to push a slide lever up, the slide lever was all the way down!

We have no idea how that happened, its next to impossible.

I'm going to the library tomorrow to look up old newspaper archives and see what happened in this house or around it. I feel in my gut somebody who lived here was killed on the tracks, and the treadmill sound resembles the train trying to stop quickly and thats why the ghost turned it on.

We just brought the treadmill home on Sunday from our in-laws. It's old so its not quiet and makes a loud humming squealing sounds.

We are freaked and will be calling our pastor to come pray over the house. I'm also putting a cross on the door to that bedroom. We dont even want to go in there.

Leslie

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thing you are renting. I lived in a haunted house on Princeton St. in Austin, Texas, and lots of things happened very similar to what you describe. It only got worse, too, and it was good to move out of there!

What do your cats do? Mine would often stare at something I couldn't see and it was very freaky. It sounds kinda fun to live in a haunted house but in reality it isn't fun at all.

You can always try talking to the ghost, that helped in my case, the owner of the house lost his wife when she fell down some steps and died, leaving three small children behind. I found out from the owner that the children grew up and were fine, so I "told" the ghost that a few times and that seemed to help things calm down. When the owner would come by sometimes he always said he could still feel his wife there.

Hope things settle down for you soon, if not... move.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds creepy!
I am a total believer as well.
I live in a haunted house and alot have happened,but I don't feel threatened or anything.I been in my house a little more then 1 yr now.I found out through the landlord (after alot of odd stuff was happening) that a man had died there shortly before I moved in.Also the building is over 30 yrs old,so it has some history! This kind of thing fascinates me though!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I got a shiver reading that!

I've never lived in a haunted house but wen I was a child, one of my friends did - you could always hear someone walking back and forth across her attic floor and every now and then thing would get stacked on top of one another in her dining room. When I asked she told me it was just the ghost!

I've had too many weird experiences not to believe in ghosts - heck, I told DH we were NOT buying one of the homes we looked at when house hunting because I just got too unhappy of a vibe when we walked through the front door.

I'd be interestedin how your cats react too - they're often the first ones to pick up on stuff like that.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very Creepy!!!

I wouldnt have been able to go back to sleep!! I always thought my parents house is haunted. I could never sleep with my bed room door open becasue I always felt like there was something stading in the hall way staring at me.

I agree if things don't settle down then move!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was originally a skeptic, and still hold that view for the most part. I do know that there are simply things that cannot be explained, but I do my best to rule out all causes before reaching for a supernatural one.

With electronics, especially old ones, there's always a chance of it simply shorting/wearing out.
Doors can open and close by themselves depending on how the house has settled, air pressure, humidity, and whether it was even firmly shut to begin with.

I suggest you do more research on the topic and be careful of what you choose to do in your home. Often times cleansings or blessings do not work, or do not work for long. There are several cases where this even made things worse. Renovations are also known to stir things up. And sometimes it's not even the home that's haunted but some item brought in or even a person attracting stuff.

Chances are if you've lived in the home for a while without incident and done none of those things I listed to trigger anything, that there may be more mundane explanations. With the economy the way it is, I personally wouldn't move unless I felt incredibly threatened. I made it through 10 years of bumps, thumps, knocking, lights turning themselves off and on, seeing mist, shadow figures, orbs (not in pictures, but actually seeing them), being pushed down the stairs, hearing, and smelling stuff in a home - scary sometimes though it never felt like I was outright being attacked in any way. Obviously it didn't kill me.

I used to know someone who was convinced her house was haunted because her computer would restart around the same time every night!

You could try leaving out a camera to record over night and some digital recorders to see if you get any EVPs.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow that is so scary. I have to admit for the most part I don't believe in ghosts. When unexplained things happen to me like that, I just come up with a rational explanation or just tell myself it's weird and leave it at that. I never say it's a ghost. Maybe because I am afraid that if I acknowledge the existence of such things I might not be able to mentally take it and might go crazy with fear lol...If I woke up to my treadmill running I would probably just tell myself that I must have turned it on in my sleep...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a resident spirit in our home. I have posted about it before. When we first moved in it was a lot more active than it is now. We still have problems with our lights and brand new vehicle batteries dying not in one vehicle but all at the same time. I had 4 batteries go on the blink at once!

If you can get a bundle of sage and burn it while walking through the house it helps cleanse the home.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

If you can get a bundle of sage and burn it while walking through the house it helps cleanse the home.
You have to get every nook and cranny, and all the people living in that home.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a medium, and have been since I was a child.... Not by choice by any means, as I am terrified of ghosts!
Here is one BIG advice: Do NOT give them the power. Meaning - ignore them as much as possible. If something happens, just take your thoughts to another place... I usually just let them know "whatever body - get out of here and juslt leave me alone".
Some of these "people", or entities, have a tremendous power to really mess you up if you let them do so... From experience, do NOT get curious, don't go to the library looking for answers, etc - this can be a mind game.
As long as they are only on your house, it's ok. But you should be able to feel their energy... If they scare you, you feel like you have the chills, and your body feels tight and anxious... These are up to no good. On the other hand, if you feel a warm feeling that doesn't scare you... They just might need your help, or might be here to help you.
For example: My friend is a widow and was going through some hard times with death threats, people throwing bricks on her window, etc... I visited her one day, and went to a bathroom that I rarelly use... All of the sudden this voice came in to my mind, repeating over and over again, for as long as I was in the bathroom: "I am here for her, I am here for her, I am here for her...."
I went out, and asked: Where did Frank die? She said in the bathroom where I was just at! So... I proceeded to tell her that he had a message for her, and that he was there to protect her.

I have been there numerous times, and no signs of Frank - all got better with my friend, but I always say hello to him when I go the the bathroom, and tell him to turn around so he doesn't see me naked!

Good luck!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of a show called Paranormal State. Call them

Let us know if your Pastor comes to pray and what happens after that.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

This reminds me of a show called Paranormal State. Call them

Let us know if your Pastor comes to pray and what happens after that.
Heh! Funny you should mention this show,me and my mom just watched the marathon of this a few days ago! Interesting show!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I am a medium, and have been since I was a child.... Not by choice by any means, as I am terrified of ghosts!
Here is one BIG advice: Do NOT give them the power. Meaning - ignore them as much as possible. If something happens, just take your thoughts to another place... I usually just let them know "whatever body - get out of here and juslt leave me alone".
Some of these "people", or entities, have a tremendous power to really mess you up if you let them do so... From experience, do NOT get curious, don't go to the library looking for answers, etc - this can be a mind game.
I was wondering, like I said previously whenever something odd happens I just dismiss it and tell myself it's nothing...Is that the same thing as not giving them power?? Like I always sort of believe those things exist, but i'm afraid to even acknowledge it to myself..am I keeping myself safer that way?? It sounded as if that's how it works from what you said, and I thought to myself I must be unconsciously doing the right thing lol...

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Last Saturday I was home alone and sitting at the computer, I had closed my bedroom door (which I can see from the computer) when I got home--a bit later I heard the door push open with force. I assumed it was Harley because he'll head butt the door with all his weight--however when I looked up Harley was asleep on the floor as was Jack. Which means the door did that without cat help.
I'm not a firm believer or disbeliever when it comes to things beyond the scope of ordinary human perception. I know that I've seen and experienced some really weird things, though, some of which have obvious (or not) rational explanations.

Doors opening and closing themselves for mysterious reasons? Get one of these: Post Level. It's like a carpenter's level, but it's got three of the little bubble thingies and is set up specifically to check alignment of posts, or in this case, doorjambs and doors. I had a misbehaving door that was just hung badly... all it took in this particular case was to undo the screws on the lower hinge and shift the hinge relative to the doorjamb, just slightly. Of course, that was in San Francisco, and in this area most of us are used to our houses settling slightly. I have some friends who, after a very small earthquake, found all of their doors and windows hard to open or close.

As for the treadmill... aside from old electrical appliances having an enormous capacity for being buggy (worn insulation, broken springs on electrical switches, malfunctioning switches etc), I've got nothing.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I was wondering, like I said previously whenever something odd happens I just dismiss it and tell myself it's nothing...Is that the same thing as not giving them power?? Like I always sort of believe those things exist, but i'm afraid to even acknowledge it to myself..am I keeping myself safer that way?? It sounded as if that's how it works from what you said, and I thought to myself I must be unconsciously doing the right thing lol...
Yep, you are doing the right thing.... They are like spoiled kids (just worst
)

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a firm believer in spirits... we are made of energy and some of that sticks around -- or can stick around -- after we are gone. I know my sister and my dad are around from time to time.

Once, in my condo - I have photos on top of the entertainment cabinet -- one frame had picks of all my nieces and nephews in it. It would be turned facing the room and in alignment with the other frames at night... and in the morning - it would be moved... perpendicular... or out in front- as if someone had picked it up, looked at it and set it down, but not in the same place.

After this happened a few times... I said out loud to whoever was admiring the pics - I don't mind if you look at these, just put them back in the same place. You're creeping me out!!

It didn't happen again!

Another story that didn't happen to me but in my brothers house - it's a big old 3 story house - two ladies were there cleaning... one was the regular lady.. the other a new helper. She went into my brother's office and there was a man sitting behind the desk, plain as day! She gasped... he turned around and said oh, I'm sorry, do you need to clean in here... got up and walked over to the easy chair and sat down! She FREAKED!!!!! Went running upstairs to get the other lady... they ran down and the man was gone. The regular house keeper said what did he look like, etc. The man she described to a T .... was my dear departed father!

I am pretty sure I stayed in a haunted hotel once. On business at Tuskegee Instititute in Alabama .. the school's hotel is on the grounds... I woke up and felt like someone was on top of me, pressing down on me and I couldn't move... I thrashed around and the feeling went away and I said out loud... in a firm voice - whoever you are, best leave me alone. Had a hard time falling asleep again. Some people say that feeling is sleep paralysis... but it has NEVER happened before or since!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say that merely putting a cross over your door & keeping it closed may not do anything. You sound like you are afraid of whoever spirit resides there. They can still keep getting your attention whether you want it or not. I agree with the people who said to try communicating (as you said you believe) & cleansing the house with smudge sticks.

Are you wanting your pastor to pray over the house to get rid of the spirit, or to help them cross over? Not all spirits left behind are bad, or evil. Just confused, have unfinished business, need to pass on a message etc. If this is a person who was killed on the tracks & met a quick, violent death, perhaps they do not realise what has happened...

I had a similiar experience after my grandfather passed. I was freaked out at first, i'd never knowingly been in a house where someone had died. He had actually missed about 7 years of life so the first time in years i saw him, was actually at the viewing. Anyway, eventually my freaking out turned into having conversations with him, & now when i go there i know he has passed on. Mind you it did take a few years as i had alot of unanswered questions. Still do actually. There are a couple of other things, but this post is already long enough!

Also when Jasmine died, one night i could hear her meowing at my bedroom door. My door was open, Charlie was in the lounge, there was no cat there. Charlie has a completely different voice to her. Her blanket that she slept on was still on the floor, she didn't always sleep there but she did the night before she died. I've always been upset over all our cats, but this is the first time i've experienced that.

I also had an experience at an old mansion Tristan & i have been to a couple of times now. I didn't know the detailed history until after my second visit was over. I could actually enter all rooms but one. And funnily enough that room i have no information on whatsoever. One man killed himself in the outdoor laundry over his love (a woman who his brother ended up with), and the woman died in the mansion when her clothes were set alite by a bedside candlestick. I don't know exactly where she died though. But this other room i think it was called the butlers pantry. A small room which just stored the food & such which then also had another pantry in it. For some reason both visits i got the most awful feeling (the second visit i actually forgot which room it was i disliked until i entered). One of my photos came out quite funny with an image much like a bodily form on the left, glowing, i didn't have my flash on, there were no mirrors & the room was actually quite dark.

It's all so strange.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Heh! Funny you should mention this show,me and my mom just watched the marathon of this a few days ago! Interesting show!
Cool
You guys might also like A Haunting the show is produced by Discovery channel

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a house with "something". I don't REMEMBER ever seeing her, but I came up with an invisible friend right after we moved there when I was 3. Apparently, according to my pediatrician that is early for a child to have an invisible friend. Her name was Jessie, and I can still tell you what she looked like in my mind. She was probably 8 or 9, dark hair in braids, and she wore demin overalls with the bottoms rolled up and a blue print shirt. When I sold the house after mom died, I did some research on the house before hand, and found out that in the 30's the family that lived there lost their little girl, Jessica, due to an illness. She died at home. So maybe I did see her when I was little, who knows. Or maybe it was just an overactive imagination. You could also hear someone pacing in the attic sometimes at night. And you would just get strange vibes from some areas of the house (like at the top of the stairs to the second floor).

The STRANGEST and freakest experience I had was shortly after we moved into my MIL's old farm house to build our house. We had been living there for a few weeks, and I was feeding the barn cats on the back porch at night. One night I went out and left the door cracked while I fed them (there was the back door, then a closed in porch, then a door to the back porch so my kits weren't going to escape). I went to go back in, and tried to push the door open....and it wouldn't move. It felt like someone was on the otherside leaning against it. I could move it an inch and then it would be forced back an inch. But it never closed completely. The only dog we had was Snickers and she was in her crate, and the cats didn't have that much weight. This went on for about 30 seconds, and I finally yelled at DH to LET ME IN! (I just assumed it was him). I stepped back (because by now I'm cold and pissed) and pushed it with one finger....and it opened without a problem.

Now, this is a VERY old house with all the creaks and vibrations. There is NO way DH could have been holding that door and run back to the bedroom on the other side of the house without me hearing or feeling him. I walked into the bedroom and asked what he did. He was just sitting there watching TV. I told him what happend and he said "Oh, that was just Pop" (his grandfather). Apparently he always liked to play practicle jokes on people.
He said "It doesn't mean he doesn't like you...he's probably laughing his butt off right now".

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 1994, my brother who is in Oklahoma was in his kitchen when a picture of our Mom he had on his fridge fell to the floor. He had a strange feeling when that happened and picked the picture off the floor and put it back. He said "Mom, you can't die yet!" A few hours later, I called him. Mom had passed away a few hours earlier and I had just found her. He was so shaken. We think that Mom had visited him after she died.

When he flew out here to California, he and his GF stayed with me in our apartment. He told me that he woke up and Mom was standing right by him. He said that he told Mom that he was sorry that she had gone. He said that she spoke to him saying "That's OK, I am fine! Look who is with me!" At that point, my brother saw my Dad who had passed away in 1981. He knew then that our parents were going to be just fine.